Watches

Risso

I really like Tudor watches and had my eye on a Tudor Pelagos (black face) but the £3600 price tag is putting me off. Not sure if there’s a similar alternative or finding it considerably cheaper? Any suggestions welcome.

It was a Rolex submariner with a black face that I really wanted years ago but missed the boat before the kids arrived and now can’t justify an £8,000 plus purchase.

image.thumb.png.a7ad2228d20f0d078a6d7d5c8e7607f5.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

I really like Tudor watches and had my eye on a Tudor Pelagos (black face) but the £3600 price tag is putting me off. Not sure if there’s a similar alternative or finding it considerably cheaper? Any suggestions welcome.

It was a Rolex submariner with a black face that I really wanted years ago but missed the boat before the kids arrived and now can’t justify an £8,000 plus purchase.

Have you looked at the Tudor Black Bay 58?

Tudor-Black-Bay-58-2-845x550@2x.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

Have you looked at the Tudor Black Bay 58?

Tudor-Black-Bay-58-2-845x550@2x.jpg

It’s a lovely watch and yes, I had thought about it. Approx £3000 I think and thanks for the suggestion 👍

The issue I have and with any future watch purchase now is that a few years ago the crown on my Gucci watch caught on my jeans pocket and it snapped off. Cost a bit to repair and now I look for watches where the crown has some protection so it’s less prominent. Just a fear I have now, especially when considering such an expensive purchase.

1 hour ago, ferguson1 said:

It’s a lovely watch and yes, I had thought about it. Approx £3000 I think and thanks for the suggestion 👍

The issue I have and with any future watch purchase now is that a few years ago the crown on my Gucci watch caught on my jeans pocket and it snapped off. Cost a bit to repair and now I look for watches where the crown has some protection so it’s less prominent. Just a fear I have now, especially when considering such an expensive purchase.

I would be very surprised if you had an issues on a proper screwdown crown. Once properly tightened, it should make it unlikely to catch on anything and, if it did, you would have to pull a screw out of its threads in order to make it move. 

Was the Gucci crown was a pull to change either time or date, or was that also a screwdown crown?

3 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

I would be very surprised if you had an issues on a proper screwdown crown. Once properly tightened, it should make it unlikely to catch on anything and, if it did, you would have to pull a screw out of its threads in order to make it move. 

Was the Gucci crown was a pull to change either time or date, or was that also a screwdown crown?

I have a Tudor heritage 41mm diver, the crown design is my favourite part about it. It's wider than usual, the female end is wider too as a matter of course, it's as though it's a built in hidden crown guard. It is the most secure screw down crown winding mechanism I have encountered, very strong. 

I wouldn't let it stop you Mr Ferguson, I'd try both the heritage and the 58 on though for piece of mind, I have a 7+" wrist so went for the heritage, the case is thick and heavy, more like a deep-sea then a sub.

Both are imo, the best bang for buck diver out there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

It is a pull out one to change time and date. It basically got caught and bent out of shape and upon trying to put it back in place, the crown came away. It’s just made me very cautious since but probably unnecessarily so.

16 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

It is a pull out one to change time and date. It basically got caught and bent out of shape and upon trying to put it back in place, the crown came away. It’s just made me very cautious since but probably unnecessarily so.

Yeah you won't have an issue with a quality screwdown crown. They need to be robust in order to protect the water resistant properties of the watch.

• Thanks 1

On 03/02/2022 at 18:48, ferguson1 said:

Steinhart, Nice watch with a decent movement

• Thanks 1

I know there's a bit of knowledge in this thread so hopefully someone might give me a steer.

I've my heart set on a Milgauss for quite a few years now and am thinking I might treat myself to one at some point. I know Rolex have a really poor reputation for actually getting hold of their wares on the primary market but does that extend to all of their catalogue? If I were to rock up to a main dealer, would I be laughed out of town for expecting them to sell me a brand new watch? I've no interest in playing the lottery of the secondary market but everything I read online says that's pretty much the only way to get hold of a Rolex. A brand new Milguass at RRP would be a bit of a stretch but doable. No way I'm paying over the odds. Am I dreaming?

11 minutes ago, choffer said:

I know there's a bit of knowledge in this thread so hopefully someone might give me a steer.

I've my heart set on a Milgauss for quite a few years now and am thinking I might treat myself to one at some point. I know Rolex have a really poor reputation for actually getting hold of their wares on the primary market but does that extend to all of their catalogue? If I were to rock up to a main dealer, would I be laughed out of town for expecting them to sell me a brand new watch? I've no interest in playing the lottery of the secondary market but everything I read online says that's pretty much the only way to get hold of a Rolex. A brand new Milguass at RRP would be a bit of a stretch but doable. No way I'm paying over the odds. Am I dreaming?

Sorry to be "that guy"....but all I could hear in my head when reading your post was :

millhouse_by_alexkidd2_d4klctz-fullview.png

15 minutes ago, choffer said:

Check this out buddy. I'd say you would have a tough task ahead. I've been in love with the 116400GV too, that blue dial with the green sapphire is stunning.

https://watchcharts.com/watch/649/rolex-milgauss-116400gv

The Rolex Milgauss (116400GV) is a watch model from the Rolex brand and Milgauss collection. The average price of a Rolex 116400GV on the private sales market .........

Good luck.

Many thanks for link. Haven’t heard of them but almost identical to one’s that I’ve been looking at. Really appreciate it 👍

Great watches , I have one, they have a good reputation in the watch world .com community and have good resale value.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Many thanks for link. Haven’t heard of them but almost identical to one’s that I’ve been looking at. Really appreciate it 👍

Check out Oris and Orient as well. They do similar, if you like that look. Also Rotary, at the cheaper end. 

Edited by Xela
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, choffer said:

In short, yes. 

Unless things have changed in the last couple of months, the chances of getting a SS Rolex new from an AD at RRP without having a deep history with them is near impossible. 

Most Rolex dealers have zero stock apart from flashy precious metal dress watches. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, choffer said:

To echo others in here, you are going to struggle with the Milgauss these days. Even if you can get on the wishlist, there's no guarantee you'll get that call.

Unless you're looking at mixed metal, you're hard pushed to get anything from Rolex these days.

Is there anything else you've got your eye on?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Is there anything else you've got your eye on?

There will be. It might be a blessing in disguise. I’ve wanted the Milgauss for so long but I’d be much better off lumping that money against the mortgage. I always wanted a good watch, I’ve got a Seamaster so I should probably reign myself in a bit. 
This stance will last as long as it takes me to have my head turned by something else shiny and new ;)

• Like 1

Â