Enda Stevens

TrentVilla

Welcome to the club Enda...

The club can confirm that agreement has been reached with Shamrock Rovers for the transfer of Enda Stevens to Aston Villa in January 2012.

The 21-year-old Ireland U21 international defender will remain a Shamrock Rovers player until the new year, which will see him stay with the Hoops for the rest of the season and the Europa League Group Stages.

Both clubs have agreed to complete the deal in January.

"This is massive for me. It's a dream come true," Stevens said. "I never expected it to come as soon as it has, especially after the last few games in Europe.

"I grew up following and watching the Premier League and I can dream of playing in it now.

"Villa have had some great Irish players and been very good for Irish players. I'm a player who likes to get forward, can defend and I like to play football. I like to get the ball down and play.

"Obviously, my main focus is the league game on Saturday against Dundalk. I am going to train and prepare as I always do in order to be ready for that.

"I signed for Shamrock Rovers and won the league in my first season. I've been fortunate enough to play against Juventus in the Europa League. We have qualified for the Europa League group stages and hopefully we will go on and win the league at the end of this season.

"It was great winning the title on the final day in my first season. That was a big experience, one of the best experiences. Once you've done that you want to go bigger and bigger again and, hopefully, that will happen.

"We start the first game soon against AEK in Athens. That should be good because they're a massive team. We obviously have Spurs, too, so we will play at White Hart Lane, too. That will give me an impression of the Premier League, where I stand and how far away I am from the top-flight.

"The manager will be able to come and see me against top-class sides and players across the continent, not just England. It's all coming into place. I look forward to it.

"I haven't had much sleep over the past couple of days since I found out this move could be happening. Let's hope everything calms down for me now.

"My aim is to do well for Shamrock Rovers for the remainder of this season, then to come to Villa in January, build a relationship with the lads in the team and settle in quickly and, hopefully, stay here for the rest of my career."

Aston Villa manager Alex McLeish said: "Shamrock Rovers have already won Ireland's first domestic trophy, remain favourites to retain their Premier League Championship, are still in their FA Cup and have achieved something no Irish team has ever done before by qualifying for the Group Stages of the Europa League.

"Enda's performances, particularly in Europe, really caught our attention and we are pleased that we have been able to agree with Shamrock Rovers terms that will bring him to Villa in the New Year. He's an exciting prospect."

Shamrock Rovers manager Michael O'Neill said: "This is another mark of how this club is progressing and how well-regarded our players are outside of Ireland. Enda deserves great credit for how he has improved his game and placed himself in a position that one of England's biggest clubs wanted to recruit him.

"I believe he will do very well, but the great news for us is that he will remain a Shamrock Rovers player until the end of this season.

"We have a great squad of players and have a lot of hard work between now and the end of the season. Enda being part of that is important for him and the club."

Official site

"My aim is to do well for Shamrock Rovers for the remainder of this season, then to come to Villa in January, build a relationship with the lads in the team and settle in quickly and, hopefully, stay here for the rest of my career."

good lord sonny jim, play well for a couple of seasons and he'll be regretting that quote :P

Interesting. Will believe that the club will give him from January to the summer to find out if he can become a regular left back. And then maybe reduce wages by selling Warnock (+40k a week) with him (5-10k a week now, maybe awarding him with an improved contract to 20k a week if he is a success).

Have no idea what the player is capable of, though.

------------------Given----------------

Stevens--Dunne--Williams---Devine

Coleman--------Clark----Carruthers

-----------------Ireland----------------

---------Drennan------Burke----------

Could happen. Some day.

good lord sonny jim, play well for a couple of seasons and he'll be regretting that quote :P

ha rookie mistake...quotes like that always come back to bite you in the bum!

good luck to him...should get to see some of him in the games v spurs and give us fuel to slate the lad before he kicks a ball for us :winkold:

You need to be buying good experienced players and players like this, may be a flop but could be amazing, as I know nothing about him I couldn't judge which way. At least it shows a bit of scouting system at work.

As I said this player was probably spotted by McLeish and his scouts at Small Heath.

In that case I really hope he turns out to be one of the greatest fullbacks we've ever had. Because the Bluenoses' bitterness would make it taste all the sweeter. :D

Posted this in the Transfer speculation thread, got a bit lost in there tho with all the mayhem deadline day brings, to see him in action follow the link at the bottom, highlights start about a minute in.

Stevens is a full back with lots of potential, I am a rovers ST holder and have watched him develop over the last two seasons with us. He is very good going forward and has an excellent cross, watch the highlights of our home leg with copenhagen and you will see what i mean particularly in the first half. His only weakness perhaps is he is sometimes caught out of position defensively but this is something that the villa coaching staff and playing with top players will improve a lot. He is strong in the tackle and not afraid to get stuck in. Definately a lot of potential and no reason why he cant be as big a success as the like of Seamus Coleman.

Thanks for that. Do you think he could ever be moved further up the pitch like Coleman has seen as you mentioned his attacking abilities, or do you think he is best as a defender?

Hard to say really, had never really thought about it to be honest. He could probably do a job in a 4-4-2 but not so sure with villas current formations. He doesnt tend to take on players too much, more looks for the give and go on the overlap so to play left mid i'm not so sure. I think he definately has what it takes to be a good defender but definately needs some work in this regard. I think the experience he has gained in his 10 european games with us over the last two seasons have done him the world of good and the next 6 games will help his development a lot, he has also come on a lot since Jim Magilton came into the coaching staff so i would think that working daily with top coaches and top pro's can only make him better, remember Rovers are only part time. Take a look at the highlights here ( http://tiny.cc/89bc2 ), its at the start of the show, particularly the accuracy of his cross for Turners header.

Â