Chris Herd

ChrisNichollsToe

The linesman would've had an obstructed view. There's no way he could've been 100% about it with that in mind. The linesman and the ref aren't going to get any sympathies from me here as they completely **** it up.

I didnt have an obstructed view when I saw it on match of the day at full speed - It wasn't until I put together Olsson's reaction, herds reaction and subsequently the red card being rescinded that I was 100% sure it wasnt a stamp

I didn't have an obstructed view either but it wasn't until after the game when I was listening to the radio that I found out he got sent off for an alleged stamp.

The linesman would've had an obstructed view. There's no way he could've been 100% about it with that in mind. The linesman and the ref aren't going to get any sympathies from me here as they completely **** it up.

I didnt have an obstructed view when I saw it on match of the day at full speed - It wasn't until I put together Olsson's reaction, herds reaction and subsequently the red card being rescinded that I was 100% sure it wasnt a stamp

I didn't have an obstructed view either but it wasn't until after the game when I was listening to the radio that I found out he got sent off for an alleged stamp.

But were you solely watching the Herd Olsson collision as the ball came in as I was and most likely the linesman was, given what had gone on previously, or were you watching the game?

But were you solely watching the Herd Olsson collision as the ball came in as I was and most likely the linesman was, given what had gone on previously, or were you watching the game?

I was watching the collision. Didn't see anything close to a stamp.

Chris Herd can become Aston Villa's anchorman, says Peter Grant

CHRIS Herd could become Aston Villa’s ‘‘anchorman’’ – despite his first major audition for the role being cut short prematurely.

Villa are strongly considering using the versatile Aussie as a holding midfielder again at Sunderland today after being impressed with his red-card restricted cameo in last weekend’s West Brom defeat.

Alex McLeish and his coaches feel Herd has the dynamism and positional discipline to protect the backline and give his attack-minded team-mates freedom to push forward.

Herd is available after his sending off and subsequent suspension for a make-believe stamp on Albion defender Jonas Olsson was overturned on appeal.

And assistant boss Peter Grant believes Herd has the energy and expertise to be the ball-winning anchor Villa have lacked at times this season after watching him excel in the role for the reserves.

“We felt in certain games that there was an emptiness in the middle of the pitch,” said Grant, who suggests Stiliyan Petrov, Barry Bannan, Stephen Ireland and Fabian Delph’s natural attacking instincts can leave Villa exposed in the centre.

“We needed a little bit of nous from somebody who wants to actually play there and stay back. We’ve watched him in the reserves and asked him to play a specific role and he did well.

“We were waiting for a chance to get him in the first team.

“We asked him to play as a sitter, as an anchor, to see if he could handle that solidity of staying in a position. Sometimes in reserve games players think ‘I’m just going to get my fitness’ and run around anywhere. But he kept his discipline and stayed in the position.

“The kid wins the ball and gives it simple to his own players. His appreciation of the role and his use of the ball allows the rest of the boys to go forward and express themselves.”

Rather than Herd being a jack of all trades and master of none, Grant believes the versatile Villan’s ability to play full-back and midfield will benefit him.

“We feel Chris has got a good knowledge of the game for one so young and he understands the positions,” said Grant.

“His versatility is great to have. Sometimes people say if you move players about too much they don’t master a position. But the knowledge you get when you’re young stands you in good stead. He will find a position.

“Whatever position he plays he’s focused on it and he works hard with the fitness people to get stronger because he wants to be a Premier League player.

“He tries to understand what the job entails in each position he’s been asked to play. These are all learning experiences for him, He’s learning about his positional play and his concentration.

“I’m sure if he keeps progressing the way he is he can become a big player for us.”

Grant, who praised Herd for the way he calmly left the field without berating referee Phil Dowd and assistant Darren Cann last weekend, admitted he was unlucky to lose his place at right back after his man-of-the-match display against Wolves in late August, with new signing Alan Hutton taking the No.2 role.

“It was a shame because he did well against Wolves, but it wasn’t a reflection on him,” he added.

“He had a slight hamstring problem for the next match at Everton so we thought it was an opportunity to put Alan in.”

I like him, he has started maybe five (?) PL games and has impressed in most of them. Adds something that Petrov, Delph, Ireland and Bannan lack in central midfield. A bit like Reo-Coker but doesn't think he is a box-to-box midfielder.

Like him a lot. He is just what we needed - a strong, athletic, central midfielder who is good in the air.

It is no coincidence that today was the best game Stan has played for a long long time, because his partner gave him the freedom to play.

If we hadn't have been carrying Heskey (and I don't dislike Emile - I just think he is a front man and that alone) we could have murdered them today. McLeish had three better options IMO:

- Ireland

- Gardner

- NZogbia with Albie out right

Why he didn't start with one of those, let alone bring one on at half time, is beyond me and highlights everything that is wrong with McLeish.

He did well again today. It will benefit him playing alongside Stan who I am sure he is learning plenty off. His energy also takes some of the burden off Stan who has for much of this season had to try to hold the midfield together on his own.

I'd like to see him given an extended run and performances like today should ensure that.

Really like Herd, he just has this confidence about his play that makes him seem like he has been playing for quite a while longer than he has for us. Thought him and Petrov made a very good midfield pairing today. I really would like them to continue to play together and then you could play a more attacking minded midfielder on top of them (Bannan, N'Zog, Delph...have your choice) and obviously cut the Heskey bollocks out. Personally, I want to see N'Zogbia get one match playing in the attacking mid role just to see what he can do there because it is obvious he always wants to come in side and has no desire to do any sort of wing play.

At last! Someone who can break up play. Been impressed by Herd each time he's played this season. No slouch pace wise, can make a tackle, can jump bloody high, attacks the ball well, better passer than Hogg was in same role last season, keep him in the team! Mentally, he looks right for battles in the Premier League.

I recon we'll play same formation next game with Herd, replacing Heskey with one of our attacking midfielders. Can see this being the case throughout the season, sticking Heskey in that role for "tough" away games, and playing a Bannan/Delph/Ireland at home.

Â