Chris Herd

ChrisNichollsToe

Herd is not a great footballer. His second touch is often a tackle and he probably does not have the footballing brain the likes of Clarke and Bannan do.

However, he has fight, desire and wants to win the ball back everytime he doesnt have it.

Lets not kid ourselves into thinking we are a great footballing side at the moment. We are probably going to be in a relegation scrap this season and players like Herd will help us scrape an extra point here and an extra point there.

When we were challenging for 4th with the likes of Milner, Barry, Downing, Young etc. Herd would have had a hard time even making our bench. Now however, he may well play an important role in keeping us in the premiership.

He was excellent at right back on his debut and he had a decent 45 against WBA. Give the lad a chance, he is probably no better on worse than Reo-Coker, one of our brighter players last term.

I doubt anyone who has watched us play this season is under any illusions about our current playing staff.

For me the only "established" players fit to wear C&B are Given, Gabby, Bent the rest of them are utter shite.

If it wasn't for the likes of Herd, Bannan (but who knows what will happen if the D/D is upheld?) Clark coming through we would be in a far worse position, I also include Delph in that as I still believe he has it in him to make the grade.

Make no mistake we are in for a relegation fight, lets hope the likes of Herd, who can play football is ready to keep us in the Premiership but under this manager I have my doubts.

agree with this - herd is the type we need really someone to shake things up a bit and who actually looks like he cares. now all eck needs to do is give clark the chance to shine and get the style of play identified as soon as possible. if this means leaving out big money signings so be it.

I'm really pleased indeed the red card was rescinded - and so impressed at the dignified way Herd conducted himself throughout the incident.

But I'm speechless with rage at those two **** match officials who **** up our match and played a big part in sending us to defeat (Bent's inability to score the softest chance in football history always excepted).

Surely they should get a very public rebuke from the FA, some sort of punsihment, and be required to apologise both to Herd and the club?

I'm waiting...

You will wait a long time mate. Match officials policed by match officials and covered in Teflon. Totally agree on the match though, wrecked by a couple of clowns.

Herd should not be considered out starting DM. He can do fine against poorer teams such as wigan, swansea, or even wba, but he wont look so good against better clubs. I don't understand why Clark hasn't been given the chance to be the DM for this team yet. With coker gone, there really is no one beside Clark who can play that spot effectively.

There is no doubting Clarks ability on the ball but his pace and strength for this position is surely not good enough and also a worry for me at CB. Herd whilst not as good technically, is strong, mobile and the lad cant half jump and thats why I think he should be given a run in this position.

We agree again! Herd is the type of player we have been desperate for, IMO, for a long time. High energy grafter, great engine, good in the air etc.. I haven't seen enough of his distribution - and we won't know until he has had some time to settle - to know how good he could be.

We need a player like this at the base of a CM three to allow the others to play.

Totally agree on Herd he needs to be given a chance and we need to see more of Clark who for me is the most assured young player we have. Both need to be given proper chances.

Bannan has been given his and look at him now (ignoring the events of Sunday morning!).

We have to make the best of what we have got given the straightened times Lerner has imposed. Personally I'm pig sick of reading posters getting all dewy eyed about what it might have been like if we still had Milner, Barry, Young and Downing. It's the past.

Allegedly managers such as Ferguson and Wenger are keeping tabs on players like Clark and Bannan but apparently they are not good enough for us.....until they play for another club and shine and then everyone moans that we should not have sold them.

Clark is the most overrated player we have by a country mile. Last year he was appalling but then scored a couple of headers and people are creaming themselves over him. A defensive midfielder needs to do a lot more than score every few matches. Closing space, tackling and reading the play would be nice rather than doing a damn fine impression of a sieve.

Herd on the other hand has real promise (a damn sight more speed than Clark) and athleticism and could be a very useful holding player. Get him in the middle with Delph and Petrov for Saturday!

Clark could be the next Cahill and play for the team at the foot of the table under an apparent top coach yet alledgedly be good enough for Barca. Maybe they can partner each other in the centre of Arsenal's new defence?! I hope Clark comes good, just don't think he ever will. You say Clark to me and I have a mental image of a bloke with a funny running style chasing down midfielders who have just strolled past him towards our penalty area!

Screw N'Zogbia, give Albrighton a go. Surely he can't be any worse than him. Hell, at least we're guaranteed 2 or 3 decent crosses in the game. I'd go:

Gabby---Bent----Albrighton

---------Ireland-------------

----Herd/Delph--Petrov----

Screw N'Zogbia, give Albrighton a go. Surely he can't be any worse than him. Hell, at least we're guaranteed 2 or 3 decent crosses in the game. I'd go:

Exactly how i'd set up :thumb:

I mean, you look at that on paper and it looks like we should be scoring goals left, right & centre! :|

I actually wouldnt play Albrighton, he's been woefull every time i've seen him this year. I'd rather we went back to the diamond formation played against Wigan in order to get our best players into the starting 11. i.e.

Herd

Petrov Delph (Bannan when available)

Ireland.

Failing that, I'd actually rather see Weimann played instead of Albrighton at the moment.

Exactly how i'd set up :thumb:

I mean, you look at that on paper and it looks like we should be scoring goals left, right & centre! :|

I know eh? I think it would help the team immensely if Delph started playing well. Spreading the ball to the wings and/or Ireland at every chance he gets, or bursting forward himself as he used to do; and we'd be creating many chances.

Sadly he hasn't been up to par (and by not up to par I mean not even being able to control a pass, or even give one) and we've been lacking this link player. What we've had is Petrov slowing things down and giving the ball back to the defence, or Bannan not doing the simple things and going for the more elaborate passes.

Kind of missed the boat on this but FWIW....

RE. The sending off.

The Refs got it wrong - no question.

However for those who (in the match thread/on TV etc) claim they saw nothing that could have even indicated a red card, I totally disagree.

There is no two ways about it, that in Herd attempting to get his leg out, there is a forceful up and down movement - probably caused by his leg being pulled back down by Olsson as he went to pull it out. Although they got it wrong (and its correctly been rescinded), I can fully understand, given the linesman view, why he might have thought it was a stamp.

I too think Clark is the absolute talent numero uno at the Villa. Without a shadow of a doubt.

He looked to very composed for his age back there, but now he isn't getting a game. Some might say this is because McLeish knows best and sees him everyday in training, but most of us know how poor McLeish is at judging anything so I will save my opinion on that field.

I think Clark will turn out to be a good player, it not at Villa then somewhere else. Cahill 2?

The linesman would've had an obstructed view. There's no way he could've been 100% about it with that in mind. The linesman and the ref aren't going to get any sympathies from me here as they completely **** it up.

The linesman would've had an obstructed view. There's no way he could've been 100% about it with that in mind. The linesman and the ref aren't going to get any sympathies from me here as they completely **** it up.

I didnt have an obstructed view when I saw it on match of the day at full speed - It wasn't until I put together Olsson's reaction, herds reaction and subsequently the red card being rescinded that I was 100% sure it wasnt a stamp

Â