Brad Guzan

R.Bear

If some of the players we have had over the years had of come under the same scrutiny that this guy has .....we wouldn't be where we are today, just coming off 4 years of fighting relegation....To pick him up for a few errors (albeit the one at City was poor) is a bit rich coming from us, with some of the consistently poor outfield players we have had.

I'm a bit unsure how I feel about him as our goal keeper...got more presence than Given, better than Steer and Bunn , a tad on the small side at 6ft in this modern game.

I am sure of his persona, a top guy, good fella, and very passionate about Villa.

I too think there are better out there and I also think its one of the most important positions particularly when it comes to improving the teams consistency....albeit for the older fans Gary Sprake was a bit iffy, but the players he had in front of him in the great Leeds team compensated......I seem to recall one nick named the "flying pig" in Liverpools halcyon days before Grobelaar.....Tommy Lawrence I think it was?

With limited funds I think we could spend our money on more pressing positions and I know that sounds a bit contradictory, but I think he is ok for now.

Pretty sure he's well over 6 foot.

IMO Brad was far too good for a relegation-threatened side until last season when his performances definitely did dip. I still think he's comfortably good enough to be between the sticks for us, even if we aspire to the lofty heights of mid-table. In fact, there are quite a few positions I would point to as being in greater need of bolstering than GK. Just sort the fecking kicking out Brad, it's only in the last year it's gone to shite!

He's 6'33" or 1.93 metres

Edited by Chewie
  • Like 1

Guzan is 6'4 FFS. How anyone can mistake him for being just 6'0 is frankly bizarre.

I can understand it. He is a little stocky (if that's the correct word) in his build which kind of gives the impression that he is shorter than he is, especially on TV. If that makes any sense.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 1

Guzan is 6'4 FFS. How anyone can mistake him for being just 6'0 is frankly bizarre.

I can understand it. He is a little stocky (if that's the correct word) in his build which makes kind of gives the impression that he is shorter than he is, especially on TV. If that makes any sense.

He is stocky but come on, even on TV it's blatantly obvious that he's well over 6 foot. He towers almost everybody.

• Like 1

Remember his assist for Wiemanns goal against Man city? He's got it, just needs to build back confidence!

Not sure that proves much, if anything. It only went through to Weimann because Kozak tried to control it and failed, which wrong-footed the City centre-backs. It was just a hopeful punt upfield though.

Does a kicking error have to be as bad as the man city one and lead directly to a goal for this particular issue to be highlighted?

It does when somebody claims his kicking has "cost us the game" on more than one occasion.

Nobody is saying Guzan's kicking is good. Just that him being bad at kicking isn't a huge problem on the grand scale of things.

Like I said, if that's what people are finding to criticise him about, he's doing pretty well

• Like 2

Remember his assist for Wiemanns goal against Man city? He's got it, just needs to build back confidence!

Not sure that proves much, if anything. It only went through to Weimann because Kozak tried to control it and failed, which wrong-footed the City centre-backs. It was just a hopeful punt upfield though.

it was a Lambert team - everything was a hopeful punt upfield back then.

Was it last season, or the season before when Guzan got lobbed by Shelvey? From what I remember, that was from one of his kicks downfield that went straight to a Swansea player, or a Villa player who was immediately under pressure?

I like Guzan. He strikes me as a great bloke to have around the dressing room. His shot stopping is right up there as well. I think his catching of balls into the box is also excellent. His distribution however, is definitely something he can improve on.

Is he??? Didn't think he was only 6 foot but 6'4 doesn't seem right. Isn't Gestede that height?

Guzan was just fine yesterday, shoddy kicking for sure but he kept us in the game during the first half.

You have to take into account how many points we get because of Guzan. Other than drubbing Sunderland season on season nearly all our wins are by a single goal. And every one of those games we all know we tend to hang on by the skin of our teeth. there is always pressure on our goal for long periods and on the whole, usually due to incompetent defending, a weak midfield, whatever, Brad is required to make save after save.

We havent been able to control a game for years and he is always overworked. Looking back, his highlight reel would look incredible. He has pulled off his fair share of world class saves. Yes he has made a few howlers too but its bound to happen, as it does with even the very best of keepers, when you are constantly called upon to prevent a goal because of the mess happening in front of you. I would criticise him for being slow coming off his line and his kicking at times but his command of the area and shot stopping is right up there.

Personally Think he is a top keeper who had a dip in form last season. Doesnt deserve the criticsm he's been getting.

• Like 4

His distributions awful luckily it's something that can be rectified. It was better than what it is but for some reason it's got worse. He's still young enough to improve and could save us a fair bit if it doesn't get any better this season though I'd get a new keeper next year.

I think some of you are blowing two things completely out of proportion:

1) How important distribution from a keeper is

2) How bad Guzan supposedly is at it

To put it into perspective, look at the passing success rate of various keepers in the league:

Courtois - 37.5%

Mignolet - 51.9%

Romero - 52.8%

Hart - 60%

Adrian - 47.5%

Guzan? 50% - so plum average.

Edited by lexicon

I think a lot of the over reaction this weekend is down to the commentator having a shit fit about the couple of misplaced passes. I remember at one point it felt like he was talking about one that went out for a throw in for ages. He kept repeating the same point over and over again but rarely mentioned his saves.

Edited by sexbelowsound

I think a lot of the over reaction this weekend is down to the commentator having a shit fit about the couple of misplaced passes. I remember at one point it felt like he was talking about one that went out for a throw in for ages. He kept repeating the same point over and over again but rarely mentioned his saves.

People have been carping on about it for a while though, certainly before the Bournemouth game.

Edited by lexicon

I think some of you are blowing two things completely out of proportion:

1) How important distribution from a keeper is

2) How bad Guzan supposedly is at it

To put it into perspective, look at the passing success rate of various keepers in the league:

Courtois - 37.5%

Mignolet - 51.9%

Romero - 52.8%

Hart - 60%

Adrian - 47.5%

Guzan? 50% - so plum average.

This.

People are talking about it like it's the cornerstone of being a goalkeeper.

It would be a luxury for us to have a keeper good at distribution. Him being not that great at it doesn't give us a problem.

Â