Brad Guzan

R.Bear

I'm curious to hear the views this evening of those defending him only a few pages back. Has today changed your views at all ? Or are you still of the same view?

Saved the shots that were expected and was excellent claiming corners and high balls.

Yes the throw out to Amavi wasn't the brightest thing to do and we know his distribution is poor.

The issue we have is if we replace him with a keeper who say isn't great leaving his line (and we've had a few of those in the last 10 years Carson, Friedel and Given) we'll create panic and instability in our defence in other ways and we'd still roughly concede the same amount as we do now.

I have no idea what keeper those people are watching them as that is the weakest part of his game by a mile.

Here's a thought but maybe the defence should'nt pass back to him so often, I always feel it's a bit of a cop out from players especially when there's space infront of them.

Edited by VillaChris

I'm curious to hear the views this evening of those defending him only a few pages back. Has today changed your views at all ? Or are you still of the same view?

This match changed nothing. Guzan made some good saves and collected crosses. The incident everyone is getting up in arms about is not Guzan's fault. I am fairly certain Sherwood told Guzan to play it to his defenders cause he was doing it all match. Guzan did the same ball to Bacuna earlier and Bacuna almost messed it up badly as well. Amavi and Bacuna both received the ball with time and space. Both times the nearest defender was at least 10 yards away, and both players decided to dribble instead of making the easy pass out or clearing it down the line. Guzan should not be to blame because Amavi tried to beat his man when Amavi was the last man and had other options. 

• Like 3

I will never be convinced he is good keeper.

Yes he is great coming for crosses and shot stopping but his distribution,judgement making and his general mistakes prove to me he just isnt good enough.

His main downfall is his distribution he cant kick a ball to a player without slicing it,he just isnt good enough but the again is there a keeper out there we can upgrade with?

I can't blame him for their second. Amavi had full control of that ball and simply failed to dribble his way past the guy in front of him.

Guzan does need to learn to kick the ball better though. It was pretty poor today.

I don't get the blame on Guzan for the goal. He rolled the ball to Amavi when Dann was initially backing off and about 15 yards away. Dann then changed pace and closed down amavi who should have played it away instead of trying to dribble past him. The fault is fully on Amvai for me

Getting bored of this now. He isn't good enough. The "he saved a few shots" is getting boring, isn't that what a standard Premier League keeper should do. IMO, at fault for the 2nd, didn't judge the picture throwing the ball to the full back who was isolated. Should be dropped. 

We need to practice his throwing techniques, once he has possession, he should have options on both his left, middle or right side as soon as he has it. Practice it in training , make sure the players run into position then ensure Guzan can make the throw , practice practice, practice.

Delaying the throw enables the attacking team to get back, this in turn gives them the confidence to pour forward at any opportunity knowing were going to delay hitting them back once our keeper has the ball.

Guzan has all the hard parts of the game sorted , he just needs his distribution sorted, a plan for him to follow.

All the best keepers have this part if the game trained into them .

We need to practice his throwing techniques, once he has possession, he should have options on both his left, middle or right side as soon as he has it. Practice it in training , make sure the players run into position then ensure Guzan can make the throw , practice practice, practice.

Delaying the throw enables the attacking team to get back, this in turn gives them the confidence to pour forward at any opportunity knowing were going to delay hitting them back once our keeper has the ball.

Guzan has all the hard parts of the game sorted , he just needs his distribution sorted, a plan for him to follow.

All the best keepers have this part if the game trained into them .

His throwing is generally fine. Normally when he takes the ball from a corner / free the first thing he does is look to make a quick throw. The problem is that we normally have everyone back for a corner so there is no one to throw the ball to.

Â