Brad Guzan

R.Bear

seen the goals again and while he had no chance on the first, i think another keeper might have got something on the second. it was a decent shot but not that powerful and it went pretty close to him.

seems like more and more i'm watching other keepers make really good saves to bail out their defence and thinking i'm not sure Guzan would have done the same. 

This witch hunt is pathetic. Brad did nothing wrong. 

I'm curious to hear the views this evening of those defending him only a few pages back. Has today changed your views at all ? Or are you still of the same view?

Why, because a full-back can't control a football?

We need to practice his throwing techniques, once he has possession, he should have options on both his left, middle or right side as soon as he has it. Practice it in training , make sure the players run into position then ensure Guzan can make the throw , practice practice, practice.

Delaying the throw enables the attacking team to get back, this in turn gives them the confidence to pour forward at any opportunity knowing were going to delay hitting them back once our keeper has the ball.

Guzan has all the hard parts of the game sorted , he just needs his distribution sorted, a plan for him to follow.

All the best keepers have this part if the game trained into them .

thing is, if its the easiest bit to learn, why start when he's 30?

Brad changed his distribution midway through the second half and started throwing it out to both full backs, presumably under instructions from Sherwood etc.

It's a little unfair to suggest his throw to Amavi was some sort of maniacal brain fart. Sure it was a mistake in hindsight but you have to have faith in your teammates. Unfortunately Amavi lost the ball.

To me the players further up the pitch whose names start with G and rhyme with shabby are the most culpable for that loss.

• Like 1

At least there are some people of VT who didn't just let their emotions from the match run into these forums. I don't understand how Guzan is getting more blame for the goal than Amavi. I've watched the replay of the goal a number of times. Guzan threw the ball to Amavi who was wide open. Dann was not even looking at Amavi when Guzan threw it. Amavi received it and decided to dribble forward. Dann then decided to try to stop Amavi. Amavi stupidly decided to try to dribble around Dann despite being only a few yards out of the box. 

If you want to say Guzan could have done more on the shot, I'd agree with you. I thought the shot was savable to be honest, but blaming Guzan for playing a perfectly fine pass to a player who was wide open is silly. 

Brad changed his distribution midway through the second half and started throwing it out to both full backs, presumably under instructions from Sherwood etc.

It's a little unfair to suggest his throw to Amavi was some sort of maniacal brain fart. Sure it was a mistake in hindsight but you have to have faith in your teammates. Unfortunately Amavi lost the ball.

To me the players further up the pitch whose names start with G and rhyme with shabby are the most culpable for that loss.

You could well be right about the instructions from Sherwood, but Crystal Palace had pushed their team right up, evidenced by the fact that Amavi was dispossessed by Scott Dann of all people.

Guzan has the perfect vantage point, and as much time as he needs (as the ball was in his hands) to see two things. 

Firstly, the ball to Amavi was hardly a safe option with Dann bearing down on him, so why not give it to any of the other back 4 that might have been in space?

But secondly, if Dann was that far up the pitch, then that's the perfect time to try and find someone up front as their CB is well out of position.

He made some good saves yesterday, but he has the experience in this league that Amavi hasn't to not only make that goal avoidable, but also capitalise on their players being pushed up.

Schmeichal in his pomp used to get as much credit for starting a ManUre move as he did for his presence between the sticks. Guzan is possibly suffering with his decision making when he has time, but his reactive instincts are still top notch IMO.   

At least there are some people of VT who didn't just let their emotions from the match run into these forums. I don't understand how Guzan is getting more blame for the goal than Amavi. I've watched the replay of the goal a number of times. Guzan threw the ball to Amavi who was wide open. Dann was not even looking at Amavi when Guzan threw it. Amavi received it and decided to dribble forward. Dann then decided to try to stop Amavi. Amavi stupidly decided to try to dribble around Dann despite being only a few yards out of the box.

If you want to say Guzan could have done more on the shot, I'd agree with you. I thought the shot was savable to be honest, but blaming Guzan for playing a perfectly fine pass to a player who was wide open is silly.

Nobody is absolving Amavi from blame or blaming Guzan more they were both culpable the difference is that Amavi's was his first error, it isn't Guzan's first error of this nature so is more of a talking point.

Guzan dropped Amavi right in it with the throw and then Amavi made the situation worse. It really isn't anything to do with an emotional reaction to the result the growing criticism of Guzan is a result of his performances.

• Like 2

I told you this would happen.

Once VillaTalk decide they don't like a keeper he gets the blame for pretty much everything.

Ridiculous to blame him for the second goal yesterday.

• Like 2

Nobody is absolving Amavi from blame or blaming Guzan more they were both culpable the difference is that Amavi's was his first error, it isn't Guzan's first error of this nature so is more of a talking point.

Guzan dropped Amavi right in it with the throw and then Amavi made the situation worse. It really isn't anything to do with an emotional reaction to the result the growing criticism of Guzan is a result of his performances.

Sorry trent, usually I agree with you, but this is just nonsense. If Amavi does what a competent footballer should do and get rid of the ball or use it then nobody for one second would be saying that was a bad decision by Guzan. If this was 2013 then nobody would be blaming Guzan. Hell, if he'd rolled that ball to Alan Hutton instead of our new signing then nobody would be blaming Guzan.

The witch hunt needs to stop.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

There are so many goals we concede by losing possession.....this is an aspect of our game that needs to be focussed on.

Hopefully that is not already done.....or we could have big problems.

Sorry trent, usually I agree with you, but this is just nonsense. If Amavi does what a competent footballer should do and get rid of the ball or use it then nobody for one second would be saying that was a bad decision by Guzan. If this was 2013 then nobody would be blaming Guzan. Hell, if he'd rolled that ball to Alan Hutton instead of our new signing then nobody would be blaming Guzan.

A further problem was that when Amavi was trying to dribble the ball around Dann........3 players to his right were just ambling together up the field.....it seems like they all switched off....complete lack of concentration.

When he received that ball the only correct option would have been burying it in Row Z. If that's what you need to do when the keeper gives you the ball, then the keeper shouldn't have given it you in the first place. 

This isn't a 'witch hunt', it's a growing realisation that our goalkeeper makes too many avoidable mistakes and is generally hopeless at distributing the ball. It's nothing personal, he seems like a very nice guy as footballers go. 

It isn't a witch hunt far from it and accusations that those who are questioning elements of Guzan's game are conducting one or making him a scape goat. Accusations that they are are more than a little childish.

Not everyone is going to agree but labelling and grouping those holding a different view as conducting a witch hunt is plain wrong.

The goal was Amavi's fault, no question.

But there is an issue with Guzan's distribution, he can't kick a ball consistently or accurately and it brings pressure upon us. He has some good attributes to his game and some bad, I can't for the life of me understand why some seem unwilling to accept that.

• Like 3

When Guzan rolled the ball to Amavi there is are a few things to consider.

He was delivering it to arguably our best on form player.

Scott Dann was some distance away from Amavi

It was Amavi's job at the point of receiving the ball to access the danger, not Brad Guzan's......If Amavi thought it was the wrong ball to him, he had the option to send it back.

It was Amavi's decision making error supported by players in the proximity not paying attention to receive a pass.

We are still making too many individual errors that's impacting on our results as a team.

• Like 1

Â