Brad Guzan

R.Bear

Bozzy couldn't kick either but was still one of the very best in the league.

Guzan made crucial saves just before half time and came out for the late corners, a very solid return in goal.

Don't really see the need for Sherwood to replace him permanently just yet.

Bozzy couldn't kick either but was still one of the very best in the league.

Guzan made crucial saves just before half time and came out for the late corners, a very solid return in goal.

Don't really see the need for Sherwood to replace him permanently just yet.

different era as back pass rule just came in and goalies were struggling

• Like 1

Nah I went down the training ground back when you could actually watch them train close up and Bozzy couldn't kick in training either.

Anyone watch the United game at Lunchtime, Romero was kicking them out for throw ins aswell.

The fact so many keepers are good with the ball at their feet nowadays means the bad ones stand out quite a bit now.

Today was everything you need to know about Guzan in 90 mins.

Very good shot stopper, doesn't command his defence enough and his distribution is poor.

I think we could do better and have done for a long time.

What do you mean by command his defense? 

Very good shot stopper, doesn't command his defence enough and his distribution is poor.

What do you mean by command his defense? 

Keepers communicate with their defenders a lot, how deep they are, spacing etc etc.  From set pieces if a GK doesn't like where the defensive line/wall is he should be giving them hell until they get it right!

Includes taking control of situations like taking crosses/through balls.

• Like 3

He commands his area just fine. Hard to know how he is at commanding his defence, can't hear what he says.

I wouldn't mind if we replaced him, I feel a modern keeper at this level really at least needs to be able to pass a ball 15 yards with some consistency. But they'd have to be as good at that other stuff too, and I do think that is harder to find than you think.

• Like 1

How often do you even see keepers yelling at their back line anymore? Cech, De Gea, and Courtois very rarely are seem telling their back line what to do and they are top keepers. Isn't that now more down to the manager? The only keeper I can think of that yells are his back line is Howard and he has stopped that. 

How often do you even see keepers yelling at their back line anymore? Cech, De Gea, and Courtois very rarely are seem telling their back line what to do and they are top keepers. Isn't that now more down to the manager? The only keeper I can think of that yells are his back line is Howard and he has stopped that.

Cech definitely does all game. De Gea as well.

I can't recall Cech commanding his back line for Chelsea or for Czech. De gea was always very timid with that. 

This is all moot though. I personally don't think it should be the keepers job to tell the defense where they should be. The manager tells his players how he wants them lined up and where they should be playing. On set pieces and corners the keeper should take control, but general game play, no. 

I can't recall Cech commanding his back line for Chelsea or for Czech. De gea was always very timid with that.

This is all moot though. I personally don't think it should be the keepers job to tell the defense where they should be. The manager tells his players how he wants them lined up and where they should be playing. On set pieces and corners the keeper should take control, but general game play, no.

Look at arsenal last week, the defence were far more relaxed because they were having communication from Cech.

A keeper can see the play ahead of them and can point movement of opposition out to the defence, a manager can't do that during a game

Edited by mikeyp102
  • Like 1

Â