Brad Guzan

R.Bear

How often do you even see keepers yelling at their back line anymore? Cech, De Gea, and Courtois very rarely are seem telling their back line what to do and they are top keepers. Isn't that now more down to the manager? The only keeper I can think of that yells are his back line is Howard and he has stopped that.

Cech definitely does all game. De Gea as well.
I can't recall Cech commanding his back line for Chelsea or for Czech. De gea was always very timid with that.

This is all moot though. I personally don't think it should be the keepers job to tell the defense where they should be. The manager tells his players how he wants them lined up and where they should be playing. On set pieces and corners the keeper should take control, but general game play, no.

Look at arsenal last week, the defence were far more relaxed because they were having communication from Cech.

A keeper can see the play ahead of them and can point movement of opposition out to the defence, a manager can't do that during a game

Fair point. I am not claiming to know all the mechanics behind goal keepers. I just don't recall other keepers shouting at their defenders other than Howard. Although to be fair, I don't typically look for that in games. 

I think hes gonna pull off some great saves this season but hes going to cost us a number of points through poor decision making/distribution. Just dont feel as comfortable with him as I once did  

How many points has he cost us with that in the past?

Barely any, why is he going to start now?

The guy kept us in the game with some good saves - the defence is getting praise, yet they let Bournemouth in too many times and it was up to Brad to stop them.

He's a good keeper. 

• Like 4

I think hes gonna pull off some great saves this season but hes going to cost us a number of points through poor decision making/distribution. Just dont feel as comfortable with him as I once did

This is how I see it I'm afraid.

If he is the keeper then I will support him, but it will have been a missed opportunity by Tim.

He's definitely good enough for where we are now but would need to replace him if we are to push on further.

Depends how good our attack and midfield become.

Maybe an anomaly but we did finish 6th once with a season of Scott Carson in goal, he's also as good as Sorensen was here.

Edited by VillaChris

Today was everything you need to know about Guzan in 90 mins.

Very good shot stopper, doesn't command his defence enough and his distribution is poor.

I think we could do better and have done for a long time.

What do you mean by command his defense? 

Keepers communicate with their defenders a lot, how deep they are, spacing etc etc.  From set pieces if a GK doesn't like where the defensive line/wall is he should be giving them hell until they get it right!

Includes taking control of situations like taking crosses/through balls.

Brad Guzan is one of the best at taking a cross through a crowded box at the end, see right at the end when he must've come through 5-6 bodies to punch one clear.

How many points has he cost us with that in the past?

Barely any, why is he going to start now?

The guy kept us in the game with some good saves - the defence is getting praise, yet they let Bournemouth in too many times and it was up to Brad to stop them.

He's a good keeper. 

He was definitely one of our best players a couple seasons ago but wasn't great last season. Just doesn't seem to have the confidence he once had. Everytime the ball gets passed back to him i feel nervous. Maybe its just me.

I think other positions are a priority in terms of strengthening so i hope he will have a strong season and prove me wrong.

If the most Villa Talk can find to criticise a goalkeeper about is his kicking, then he's doing very well.

Keep it up Brad.

Until that kicking costs us the game. He's got to sort that shit out.

When has Guzan's kicking ever cost us a game?

Even the blunder against City wasn't his kicking. It was just a **** up.

How often does any goalkeeper's kicking cost a team the game?

I agree distribution is a good asset, especially in the modern game.

BUt it's like the cherry on top of the cake. Poor kicking is rarely a big problem. Especially for a team that plays as we do.

Edited by Stevo985

If the most Villa Talk can find to criticise a goalkeeper about is his kicking, then he's doing very well.

Keep it up Brad.

Until that kicking costs us the game. He's got to sort that shit out.

When has Guzan's kicking ever cost us a game?

Even the blunder against City wasn't his kicking. It was just a **** up.

How often does any goalkeeper's kicking cost a team the game?

I agree distribution is a good asset, especially in the modern game.

BUt it's like the cherry on top of the cake. Poor kicking is rarely a big problem. Especially for a team that plays as we do.

I disagree. It can cause all sorts of issues in a game. I'm not saying it's something that you should replace a goalkeeper over but it is something he needs to sort out.

Keep it up Brad.

yesterday was probably the worst though, he put comfortable passes out for throw-ins in dangerous areas twice and he also hit Wilson in front of him with a kick from his hands

Â