Brad Guzan

R.Bear

Evidently people are still judging him by his first 18 months under Lambert. Nobody is claiming he is a liability but there is nothing he does particularly well anymore - 'meh', basically. At the very least I hope we sign somebody that will offer a genuine threat to his place so that he isn't the guaranteed No. 1 regardless, as he is with Given and Steer.

I think we could get a better keeper if we stayed up. His distribution is pretty poor, and I just don't think he's all that. He'd be an excellent backup. 

like who? Manuel Neuer

Guzan is a good keeper and one of top in the league and we are a team fighting relegation. Who could we get that is better. If Guzan was better with his feet he would be in a better team now

I gave you that he is a great shot stopper.  But a good keeper has to be commanding in crosses which imo he certainly isnt.

Evidently people are still judging him by his first 18 months under Lambert. Nobody is claiming he is a liability but there is nothing he does particularly well anymore - 'meh', basically. At the very least I hope we sign somebody that will offer a genuine threat to his place so that he isn't the guaranteed No. 1 regardless, as he is with Given and Steer.

I disagree.  His shot stopping is very good and his command of the area on crosses (generally) is also - probably one of the best keepers in the league for that.

If you're giving me Courtois, Lloris or De Gea for him, I'll happily take it.  Anyone else?  I'll stick.

• Like 1

It's funny how we see things differently. I don't think he's been a good shot-stopper for a while. We often concede goals that a good shot-stopper would likely have saved. Before that bit gets pounced upon, that's not the same as saying Guzan should've saved them. They would've been great saves but that's the point, he seldom makes great saves anymore.

• Like 3

It's funny how we see things differently. I don't think he's been a good shot-stopper for a while. We often concede goals that a good shot-stopper would likely have saved. Before that bit gets pounced upon, that's not the same as saying Guzan should've saved them. They would've been great saves but that's the point, he seldom makes great saves anymore.

The thing about keepers is that opinions of them range from he is a great shot stopper to poor; some are saying his distribution is poor but good at crosses and others say he's not even good at crosses anymore!

I think this is the most accurate description of what I feel about him. He hardly ever pulls off a game changing save anymore. Any opponent who manages to get a shot that is on target and outside the reach that Guzan is standing, gets a goal. 

He may not be at fault for most goals, but compared to what De Gea has done for Man Utd this season for example, the gulf is more than obvious.

I can safely say that if Villa had De Gea and Man Utd had Guzan, both of the clubs would very easily be near each other in mid table.

• Like 1

But you're comparing Guzan to probably the 2nd or 3rd best goalkeeper in the world.

It's like me saying Benteke isn't much good because he's not scored as many as Messi this season.

• Like 1

I thought he was great against Swansea and, from memory, made a couple of good saves against Man Utd.  For me, great saves just don't really stand out.  I'm not sure I can name a single great save by any Premier League keeper this season... I'm sure they've existed, though.

The more telling thing for me is that I can't really remember a dreadful mistake Guzan has made - whereas all of Courtois, De Gea, Hart, Green, Mignolet etc. have made awful errors this season.  Feel free to correct me here :D

of the keepers ive seen in the league it would only be Hart, De Gea, Courtois, Cech, Lloris that I would have over Guzan. all the rest of the keepers are on the same level or worse than him

I think we could get a better keeper if we stayed up. His distribution is pretty poor, and I just don't think he's all that. He'd be an excellent backup. 

While we are at it, we can also upgrade Benteke, Delph, or maybe Okore. I know they have had good seasons with a few errors, but going with this thread, they need to be replaced. 

Edited by Czechlad

There are several areas that need looking at before we replace Guzan

I actually think that if a manager was given the opportunity to replace every single member of our squad, Guzan would be the last to go. Apart from maybe Benteke.

Guzan is great at............letting in goals! A solid but unspectacular keeper who's vastly overrated. You have to do the spectacular when you are a keeper. We'd be better off with Given at least his confidence isn't shot Guzan's has taken a battering over the years and any non-standard save is beyond him. 

Mind you there are lots of overrated keepers in the Premier League the commentators were banging on about how Rob Green was having a good season?!

• Like 1

Guzan is great at............letting in goals! A solid but unspectacular keeper who's vastly overrated. You have to do the spectacular when you are a keeper. We'd be better off with Given at least his confidence isn't shot Guzan's has taken a battering over the years and any non-standard save is beyond him. 

Utter nonsense.

Utter nonsense.

Respect other peoples opinions. Even if they dare to differ from yours. Personally I thought he could have done better last night. Given might be worth playing, now he really is a great shot stopper. Brad does look a little unsure these days, and his distribution has been erratic, to say the least.

Utter nonsense.

Almost as nonsensical as claiming he is "too good for us".

Â