Confirmed Signing: Shay Given (Man City)

Mr_Dogg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look at the quotes from Dunne in today's papers - Shay has been telling him how much he's looking forward to playing for Villa. All done but the announcement I'd say.

Everyone on about his shoulder but I'm sure if it is indeed a possible problem it will be flagged up in the medical. For us to continue with the signing surely means he'll be OK. He hasn't had enough game time at Man City for anyone to know for sure.

To my understanding something like that won't show up on a medical because his shoulder is fine right until it pops out again. There is nothing wrong with it as such it is just far more likely to happen to him than anyone else because of his history.

Your final point is 100% correct which is why this signing is a risk.

If he is fit enough though then great signing. He's an excellent keeper, very experienced and a bargain price too.

I'd say good rather than great personally as I'd rather have seen us sign a younger keeper and for me the "if" over his fitness is a far bigger question.

Both fair points.

But taken the position we're in both on the pitch and financially (allegedly), considering the cost of signing a keeper of his quality the other side of 30 and even with the risks involved regarding his shoulder, I'm really struggling to see how we could have done better.

I've wanted Given in the C&B for a very long time. For me he's one of the top 10 'keepers the premier league has seen. If it were not for the injury risk I'd be doing **** cart wheels right now. As it is, happy.

He aint signed yet! Howcome people jumping ahead?!

Gazton posted " :) Welcome, Seamus." ...........He's signed.. well Gazton posting that is good enough for me.

To be fair, Ireland signed several days after "welcome Stephen"

Gazton posted " :) Welcome, Seamus." ...........He's signed.. well Gazton posting that is good enough for me.

Fair enough...

Any Charles', Scott's or Alan's back there Gazton??

Fair enough...

Any Charles', Scott's or Alan's back there Gazton??

No idea. People have a fair idea where I get my info from, so the info I get is bound to be limited but reliable.

He'll give us at least 3 seasons of good service. Lack of game time last seaosn will also make him hungry and willing to prove a point. I am really pleased with this signing.

haha

well happy with shay. IMHO better than friedel and an improvement in hat regard. lets get some wing wizards in like n zgo and co and we will be on a roll. i'm also expecting big things from ste ireland and makoun this year! mark my words!

Happy about this signing, hope its the first of many! Given and Dunne have a good understanding when playing for Ireland, so hopefully he will bring some much needed stability to our defence.