• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

Martinez did nothing exceptional. He's done a solid job and that's it. Exceptional and worthy of note would have been them finishing comfortably mid table, or blackpool staying up. Wigan had some good players, and have finished 11th beforehand and Whelan has invested in the side, maybe not loads, but enough that whilst keeping them up is good and the first aim of their season, RM has done nothing else. Yet. Maybe given time he'll prove himself but he's so inexperienced it's laughable imo. Not going to convince big players to stay either. He may well turn out good but he'd be a massive massive risk

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had it now, no one ever listens on here! we have had two posts about next manager speculations and still banging our heads like Ozzy Osbourne (let alone taking his medication just too keep us calm). FFS avfc board and Mr Lerner just tell us when you intend to announce the new manager or TELL US anything! "I would love to hear!" Randy Lerner is due to announce who will take over the vacant managers job on Friday 10/06/2011 or 15/06/2011 following much speculation he feels he deserves to at least aknowledge too the Villa fans he is working on it. Any such statement from the board or Randy would keep us quiet and the bookies and journalists can DO THE JOB THEY ARE PAYED FOR.

Past your bed time I think. Need some bitty ?

Martinez would be a very poor appointment.

Wigan under Steve Bruce

2007/08 - 14th

2008/09 - 11th

Wigan under Roberto Martinez

2009/10 - 16th

2010/11 - 16th

Steve Bruce > Roberto Martinez

Not a fair comparison. Include wages/transfers of respective managers and you'll see they managed very very different wigan sides.

Based on what alot of you are saying with regards to Martinez, I guess Harry Redknapp must be one of the most shite managers as well, since he's been close to relegated and close to relegation more than once.

That is a very good point.

Some people just dont see the bigger picture though

Martinez hasn't done anything to warrant a massive promotion. It makes no sense to hire him. If we want someone young with potenial, Coyle would be a better option and I don't rate him yet either.

Christ...How bad would it look look if Fulham managed to bag Jol and we got Martinez....I can see them above us easily next season because I don't trust Martinez defensive tactics one bit. I don't think he would have a massive pull in the transfer market on defenders either. We would probably be stuck with Dunne/Collins who would possibly leak even more goals next season under his management.

The people who want him aren't thinking logically. Villas Boas had to prove his worth at Academica before warranting a massive promotion to Porto. Mourinho had to do the same. Martinez hasn't done anything worthy at Wigan. Escaping relegation at the very last day isn't anything to brag about.

Martinez would be a very poor appointment.

Wigan under Steve Bruce

2007/08 - 14th

2008/09 - 11th

Wigan under Roberto Martinez

2009/10 - 16th

2010/11 - 16th

Steve Bruce > Roberto Martinez

I love these types of arguments, so you're trying to tell me that different seasons don't have many variables like teams around them strengthening, while they also lose playes and are not able to replace them. We finished 6th under Oleary one season then scrapped for relegation another, same with Leeds. So does this mean DOL>DOL??? People should try and look at things more objectively sometimes. Having said that I still want Ancellotti, but would also welcome Martinez.

It just make no sense.

Randy has just put his hand in his pocket to the tune of £30 million to get us out of (what we thought at the time was) a once in a blue moon relegation scrap. Then we pay off our old manager (presumably for another £5 million) and we hire a bloke that is likely to put us through all of the above again.

Wigan are an established premier league side. He's not had a ton of money but I would expect a budding Villa manager in charge of a club like Wigan to be able to finish consistently above the likes of Stoke, Blackburn and Bolton who operate on a similar budget

They don`t operate on a similar budget at all. Compare the three squads, Martinez has shined shite at wigan. They have 7 fans turn out every home game so they have no revenue.

No denying its a risk but who isn`t? Houllier was our most qualified manager ever and we nearly went down. Its not all about cvs.

The comparison with redkapp is a good one. He has been fighting relegation his whole career. He has taken clubs down. But give him a better group of players and he is a top manager.

But Redknapp wasn't hired by a big club (spurs) until he had done something remarkable with a smaller club (winning the FA cup at Pompey).

Martinez has achieved nothing so far in his career that would merit him landing as big a job as the manager of Aston Villa

Well i think we are maybe seeing the real picture somewhat now are we not? Don't get me wrong i do like Martinez & i was very impressed with his class during torrid times at Wigan. He was as solid as a rock and that spread throughout his players which is ultimately what kept them up. Well that shows true leadership & he did it whilst personally oozing class too & playing very good football so fair play to him i say.

Is he ready for Aston Villa? Well i guess there is only one way to find out isn't there? Is it a risk? well erm yeah! but it could also prove to be a master stroke... The dice are rolling it seems.

Just stated on SSN that preliminary talks were held with Rafa & his representatives where Rafa told Villa what he would require including transfer budget & that this was turned down by Villa. Says Wigan refusing to comment on Martinez!?

Rafael Benitez is still talking to club and if its him i will welcome here with open arms and ex chelsea manager would have been my number one target but he wants a rest.

Mark Hughes Wigan Manager are not the answer so is MCLAREN.

Rafael Benitez talks are on going tonight as i know because the meeting was held eleswhere this morning.

Martinez hasn't done anything to warrant a massive promotion. It makes no sense to hire him. If we want someone young with potenial, Coyle would be a better option and I don't rate him yet either.

Christ...How bad would it look look if Fulham managed to bag Jol and we got Martinez....I can see them above us easily next season because I don't trust Martinez defensive tactics one bit. I don't think he would have a massive pull in the transfer market on defenders either. We would probably be stuck with Dunne/Collins who would possibly leak even more goals next season under his management.

The people who want him aren't thinking logically. Villas Boas had to prove his worth at Academica before warranting a massive promotion to Porto. Mourinho had to do the same. Martinez hasn't done anything worthy at Wigan. Escaping relegation at the very last day isn't anything to brag about.

You make no sense. Wigan to villa is a step up, but we are no porto, just in a stronger league.

Jol finished 5th twice with spurs after spending loadsa money with a DOF and then failed at the rest of his jobs.

Coyle has done as much as Martinez when you look at wage bills. For Wigan to survive is a miracle, they spend about as much as carew does in the rocket club.

OnlyOne I don't normally agree with you I do agree that Martinez hasn't done enough to earn the Villa job. However I don't agree that Martin Jol has either or the fact that keeping Wigan up isn't a good achievement.

This is driving me crazy...whoever it is we dont know if he will be a success or a failure..CA might have been a huge flop and macClaren might have been a huge success..

I will get behind the new manager (whoever it is) 100%

Based on what alot of you are saying with regards to Martinez, I guess Harry Redknapp must be one of the most shite managers as well, since he's been close to relegated and close to relegation more than once.

That is a very good point.

Some people just dont see the bigger picture though

I agree,the redknapp comparison sums it up. Give a good manager with the right ideas a better set of players to work with and you see how good they are.