• Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

I'd be happy with Martinez. He's earned his stripes,

How?

By keeping Wigan in Prem by skin of their teeth?

That was an acheivment,look at what he has to work with at wigan. They were under extreme pressure and he got them out of it without resorting to hoof ball.

Players want to play for him,he has proper footballing ideas. Give him a better standard of players and we will be watching some great stuff.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on what alot of you are saying with regards to Martinez, I guess Harry Redknapp must be one of the most shite managers as well, since he's been close to relegated and close to relegation more than once.

I'd take martinez...if its whats required to keep benitez and mcclown out.

Good news both of them clowns have been ruled out as I am now a much happier man, at a point where I'm not too fussed who we get as long as it aint them!

I think we have two camps of fans here.

1st camp

Because we are Villa, because we were successful in years gone by, because we have a large fanbase, rich owner - we should be appointing the top brass manager.

In all fairness, Randy appointed Houllier who lets face facts, has had relative success in England & France, created a strong base for the Liverpool champ league winning team - so he brought in a manager who had won stuff. Given our success over the last 10 years - what have we done? Ye europe a few times, semi final and a final, but off all that we haven't got anything to show for it? Not much. Yet, we are still expected to a big name manager.

2nd camp

Fans that understand and can see a managers potential, appreciate that a manager has to be given a chance with more resources to achieve their potential, even thought they are not a glamorous name. Appreciate the club have to curb their spending to some extent and bring in a manager that can work within this. Will put their faith in someone that has displayed his qualities in a restricted environment.

As you can tell from my post, I fall in the latter category.

What ever happens, will you be a fan and SUPPORT your club regardless of whether you agree with the decision or not or get on the managers back before he has chance to do implement his ideas and style.

It just make no sense.

Randy has just put his hand in his pocket to the tune of £30 million to get us out of (what we thought at the time was) a once in a blue moon relegation scrap. Then we pay off our old manager (presumably for another £5 million) and we hire a bloke that is likely to put us through all of the above again.

Wigan are an established premier league side. He's not had a ton of money but I would expect a budding Villa manager in charge of a club like Wigan to be able to finish consistently above the likes of Stoke, Blackburn and Bolton who operate on a similar budget

Harry has always had respect. Martienz is a up and comin manager but he is not what we need. We need to buy players to push us on. We need to keep hold of better players. He won't be able to do this I'm afraid. Wigan for the last 2 years have been terrible. Pretty football? Like I give a damn. It's a results business end of. If he gets the job i feel it shows no ambition. It's a backwards appoinent. And seems like a panic one too.

I've had it now, no one ever listens on here! we have had two posts about next manager speculations and still banging our heads like Ozzy Osbourne (let alone taking his medication just too keep us calm). FFS avfc board and Mr Lerner just tell us when you intend to announce the new manager or TELL US anything! "I would love to hear!" Randy Lerner is due to announce who will take over the vacant managers job on Friday 10/06/2011 or 15/06/2011 following much speculation he feels he deserves to at least aknowledge too the Villa fans he is working on it. Any such statement from the board or Randy would keep us quiet and the bookies and journalists can DO THE JOB THEY ARE PAYED FOR.

Martinez may have a different, more inclusive style with the players which may suit what Villa need. I'd prefer David Moyes but I think Martinez has some similarities. This would not represent the "meltdown" claimed though that MM has claimed on H&V.

It just make no sense.

Randy has just put his hand in his pocket to the tune of £30 million to get us out of (what we thought at the time was) a once in a blue moon relegation scrap. Then we pay off our old manager (presumably for another £5 million) and we hire a bloke that is likely to put us through all of the above again.

Wigan are an established premier league side. He's not had a ton of money but I would expect a budding Villa manager in charge of a club like Wigan to be able to finish consistently above the likes of Stoke, Blackburn and Bolton who operate on a similar budget

They don`t operate on a similar budget at all. Compare the three squads, Martinez has shined shite at wigan. They have 7 fans turn out every home game so they have no revenue.

No denying its a risk but who isn`t? Houllier was our most qualified manager ever and we nearly went down. Its not all about cvs.

The comparison with redkapp is a good one. He has been fighting relegation his whole career. He has taken clubs down. But give him a better group of players and he is a top manager.

Q. Why is it that a club like Fulham, who apparently did not see Hughes resignation coming and as such didn't have a contingency plan in hand can overcome this setback and appoint a manager with Premiership and European experience in the matter of days, when we have known that there was a real chance that Houllier was probably not going to return to the club due to health reasons for over six weeks?

A. Because one club has a chairman and board who are proactive and the other club doesn't!

More perceptive answer: Because the manager they appointed was their first choice last year!

There's virtually nothing lost by taking the time-- what has it been, two weeks?-- to sound out well-qualified candidates in hopes of appointing the right manager, other than apparently the patience of a message board poster named "YorkshireVilla"-- a quantity which, last I checked, was required to win f*ck all in football.

Villas-Boas had exactly how much experience and credentials apart from being Jose's assistant at Porto?

Didn't Everton take a chance on Moyes?

Like I said earlier at some point the next generation of talented managers needs a break.

Martinez...

No thank you, he's ok for a lower table side but were supposed to have ambitions of the top 6? Or are they alot lower... Considering the article about Benitez earlier mentioned something about him watching a sizable transfer budget to bring in his own players perhaps Lerner is going for the cheaper option and is happy with us finishing midtable at best every season.

Why do people criticise a manager's ability without looking at what teams he has managed. Jose would struggle to win things with Wigan.

Martinez is never going to be able to see if he can be a top manager unless he goes to bigger clubs. Moyes when he went from Preston to Everton he has proved he is a great manager because he was given the chance

At least give him a chance

Martinez would be a very poor appointment.

Wigan under Steve Bruce

2007/08 - 14th

2008/09 - 11th

Wigan under Roberto Martinez

2009/10 - 16th

2010/11 - 16th

Steve Bruce > Roberto Martinez