• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

Good to see the boo boys getting their fire in first before a manager is appointed.

From what I can see whoever we appoint will not please everyone. Those who are not pleased then think its the worst appointment ever made and seemingly wait for the first mistake to prove their position.

Moyes is the least bad apparently but seemingly half the fans voting do not want him.

I can remember a couple of years bad, admittedly on a different forum, that there was a whole block of posters who wanted Martinez when he was Swansea manager as they could not stand MON.

Benitez was hate figure over the Barry transfer yet seemingly he's OK with many fans now.

Personally whilst Martinez was not my first choice I think he could prove to be an inspired appointment. All good young managers need a big club to give them a break. Moyes going to Everton is a great example. I bet many Everton fans were crawling up the walls when his name was announced.

If the players don't want to stay and play for him so be it, we just get some players in who do. That's football and we move on.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Martinez isnt an exciting young manager - He is a average young manager. He would be exciting if he did more than just avoid relegation with Wigan. He bought Boselli for gods sake!

http://tinyurl.com/68lvt6p

Whelan confirms approach

After reading that we are totally up shit creak here

If Martinez turns us down.....and Dave Whelan seems quitely confident, we could end up with Alan Fecking Curbishley

The way the board have handled this is an absolute disgrace imo

To be honest, you, me or anyone else except people at villa actually have a clue whats going on. I won't believe anything until the new manager is announced and I will get behind them whoever it is. All of this media talk is misleading and makes no sense, it's guess work. And Whelan saying that Martinez would not be likely to take the job? If Martinez is offered the villa job he would bite Lerners hand off!

Let's just wait and see what happens!

http://tinyurl.com/68lvt6p

Whelan confirms approach

After reading that we are totally up shit creak here

If Martinez turns us down.....and Dave Whelan seems quitely confident, we could end up with Alan Fecking Curbishley

The way the board have handled this is an absolute disgrace imo

Weren`t you against mclaren? Sounds like its partly your fault. :winkold:

Nice one lads,I was backing steve.

My heart says this would be an exciting appointment. A young manager who has done well with a team in the lower leagues and kept a poor team up while having many of his key players sold from him. Someone who seems to like to play good and entertaining football and can build some sort of a legacy here.

My head says it would be an insane appointment because he hasn't done anything special with Wigan, in fact only just kept them up by the skin of their teeth and shipped in a shed load of goals as well. Why would he be a success here?

And also does this seem like the "Darren Bent like meltdown signing"? Maybe there is yet another twist here?

Martinez would be a very poor appointment.

Wigan under Steve Bruce

2007/08 - 14th

2008/09 - 11th

Wigan under Roberto Martinez

2009/10 - 16th

2010/11 - 16th

Steve Bruce > Roberto Martinez

I love these types of arguments, so you're trying to tell me that different seasons don't have many variables like teams around them strengthening, while they also lose playes and are not able to replace them. We finished 6th under Oleary one season then scrapped for relegation another, same with Leeds. So does this mean DOL>DOL??? People should try and look at things more objectively sometimes. Having said that I still want Ancellotti, but would also welcome Martinez.

Well you haffi luk pon di facts. And facts tell yu dat Steve Bruce mek Martinez luk like novice!

Because he's Jamaican-Villan, right?

it would be a disaster, not just from the fact that i dont think martinez is that good a manager at the moment, but from the amount of negative reactions it will generate around the club.

we had a poor season, GH is gone. we need to put that behind us and kick on, and a top notch big managerial appointment would be just the thing to do that. it would lift the supporters and it would convince the players that last season was a blip and we are still going places. it will help convince players to stay and will help attract good players.

martinez would be a total kick in the balls. it would demonstrate a total lack of ambition, and of football knowledge on the board. its not going to convince players to stay and we wont attract new ones. i don't get the massive hype around Jol, wasnt that fussed that we didnt go for him, but hes better than martinez. for fulham to get him, and get it done so quick and for us to faff about only to get martinez...

he may be good in the future, but we need good now.

It just make no sense.

Randy has just put his hand in his pocket to the tune of £30 million to get us out of (what we thought at the time was) a once in a blue moon relegation scrap. Then we pay off our old manager (presumably for another £5 million) and we hire a bloke that is likely to put us through all of the above again.

Wigan are an established premier league side. He's not had a ton of money but I would expect a budding Villa manager in charge of a club like Wigan to be able to finish consistently above the likes of Stoke, Blackburn and Bolton who operate on a similar budget

They don`t operate on a similar budget at all. Compare the three squads, Martinez has shined shite at wigan. They have 7 fans turn out every home game so they have no revenue.

No denying its a risk but who isn`t? Houllier was our most qualified manager ever and we nearly went down. Its not all about cvs.

The comparison with redkapp is a good one. He has been fighting relegation his whole career. He has taken clubs down. But give him a better group of players and he is a top manager.

But Redknapp wasn't hired by a big club (spurs) until he had done something remarkable with a smaller club (winning the FA cup at Pompey).

Martinez has achieved nothing so far in his career that would merit him landing as big a job as the manager of Aston Villa

You do realise redknapp actually spent quite a fair bit of money at pompey? Not mega mega bucks but a fair bit.

So going by your statement, whats to say martinez couldnt win us an f.a cup with a decent budget to spend? Maybe even better than that?

on a personal level you have to feel for mclaren the poor sod. he is out of work and gets told no thanks after fans go nuts. fair play to lerner for listening to the fans but you have to feel for mclaren, he must feel awful !!

I'm sick to death of 'the board are a disgrace, the way we've gone about all this is a disgrace' talk!! Shut up pissing and sodding moaning! We haven't got any confirmations that we have a new manager in place! So far it's been Hughes' job, Ancelotti's, Coyle's, McClaren's, Rafa's, Jol's, Moyes' and now Martinez's. We've got one of the classiest boards in the country, ok we may come across as slightly naive at times, but just look at Whelan's comments as an example, acting in a very professional manner. Disgrace?? Some of the fans' views that I have to put up with on here are far more disgraceful.

****!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2001191/Aston-Villa-close-Roberto-Martinez.html

Quotes from Dave Whelen

I’d be surprised if he is Villa’s new manager,’ said Whelan. ‘I have made it clear to him that I will be extending his contract.

‘Villa have acted above board and in a totally professional manner throughout.

I like how Randy always shows class and handles things with respect. It's not the first time we've heard things like that.

Whelan sounds very confident Martinez will turn it down and stay with Wigan from that telegraph piece.

We have permission to speak - in other words he is having an interview for a job. I've had bloody loads doesn't mean you always end up getting it though

Happy if it's Martinez. He's a class act and he'll have my full support. This is future planning and I like it - you ask the Wigan fans, they loved what they saw of him and his style, they had injuries at crucial times and very little investment.