• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

Martinez is one of those people I regard to have a high potential. It's of course very difficult to determine potential ability for a manager as opposed to a player, but I just have that feeling.

Saying that, this is desperate times for Lerner. Probably not first choice at all, but a lot more exciting one than McClaren.

Lacks the pull to get us players though, and Young will leave no doubt about it. Probably Downing too. He is no Benitez in terms of reputation

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Martinez has achieved nothing so far in his career that would merit him landing as big a job as the manager of Aston Villa

Neither had Villas-Boas nor had David Moyes.

Last time we signed a young ambitious manager he got us to the top of the league!

John Gregory and we played some decent stuff on the way as well.

I hope Martin Laursen becomes defensive coach at some point because as someone said Wigan's defence has been woeful like ours!

Not too sure on Martinez. My first thoughts were hopefully the Benitez and McLaren links will go away, but not sure he is the right man for us. I don't think it will be Martinez either.

I'd rather Hughes or Moyes, and I think Martinez would be a gamble, but I think some of the arguments against him on here are pretty lame. He plays good football (less negative than GH certainly), is a young manager who could build a legacy, has done pretty well with limited resources at Wigan. It wouldn't be an amazing appointment, but it would be interesting, and I'd be happy to give him time to give it a go.

Martinez would be a very poor appointment.

Wigan under Steve Bruce

2007/08 - 14th

2008/09 - 11th

Wigan under Roberto Martinez

2009/10 - 16th

2010/11 - 16th

Steve Bruce > Roberto Martinez

I love these types of arguments, so you're trying to tell me that different seasons don't have many variables like teams around them strengthening, while they also lose playes and are not able to replace them. We finished 6th under Oleary one season then scrapped for relegation another, same with Leeds. So does this mean DOL>DOL??? People should try and look at things more objectively sometimes. Having said that I still want Ancellotti, but would also welcome Martinez.

Well you haffi luk pon di facts. And facts tell yu dat Steve Bruce mek Martinez luk like novice!

Why has the RAFA link suddenly gone!

I dont think Owen Coyle would be a bad move at all, He done well at Bolton and previous teams!

I actually agree, great manager. For me, him and Martinez are similar and both have the same philosophy and both have done well given their resources.

Roberto Martinez with a director of football and a quality defensive coach could be quite a team to be fair. He is one the most exciting young managing prospects around. This would be his big chance.

Maybe we can organise a deal with Whelan to take both N'Zogbia and Martinez :).

He could take us forward and make his name with the Villa, we as fans are looking for a name but i cant help feel that Martinez will be more motivated than an older more experianced manager. His youth can also play a massive part as RL looks for a stable healthy manager and is eager to avoid another GH situation. There are a few of his players players i would love at villa and if we could add Mcarthy, Al-habsi and Nzogbia id be more than happy.

He is a lot more involved on the touchline than most foriegn managers and ive been suprised at times how vocal and MONish he has apeared never in his seat. It Feels a little like the cheap option but it is also a VERY brave appointment. I feel he has fantastic drive and he could be our moyes. I dont think he is our primary target and talk of a smokescreen people are praying but it could be a assive move forward.

If we come out and say hes signed a 5 year contract and he will be backed in the summer I cant see how it would be in any Villa fans interest to go against him. Brave move if Mat Kenrick is correct.

It just make no sense.

Randy has just put his hand in his pocket to the tune of £30 million to get us out of (what we thought at the time was) a once in a blue moon relegation scrap. Then we pay off our old manager (presumably for another £5 million) and we hire a bloke that is likely to put us through all of the above again.

Wigan are an established premier league side. He's not had a ton of money but I would expect a budding Villa manager in charge of a club like Wigan to be able to finish consistently above the likes of Stoke, Blackburn and Bolton who operate on a similar budget

They don`t operate on a similar budget at all. Compare the three squads, Martinez has shined shite at wigan. They have 7 fans turn out every home game so they have no revenue.

No denying its a risk but who isn`t? Houllier was our most qualified manager ever and we nearly went down. Its not all about cvs.

The comparison with redkapp is a good one. He has been fighting relegation his whole career. He has taken clubs down. But give him a better group of players and he is a top manager.

But Redknapp wasn't hired by a big club (spurs) until he had done something remarkable with a smaller club (winning the FA cup at Pompey).

Martinez has achieved nothing so far in his career that would merit him landing as big a job as the manager of Aston Villa

To be fair, Redknapp had a lot more spend at Pompey than Martinez at

James, Johnson, Campbell, Distin, L.Diarra, Muntari, Kranjcar, Defoe ....all quality players. Pamaroet, Lauren, Mendes, Diop, Utaka, Benjani, Baros hardly bad squad players ....all on big cash.

Roberto Martinez with a director of football and a quality defensive coach could be quite a team to be fair. He is one the most exciting young managing prospects around. This would be his big chance.

Funnily enough I've been wondering if our big shock announcement wasn't so much going to be the candidate we appoint as the fact that we were moving to a DOF system.