• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

What do I know, but seems Martinez needs time to develop and we need to kick-on yesterday - doesn't seem a comfortable fit, especially after the season we've just had - if he doesn't pull up trees by Christmas the fans will be have had enough - they have suffered enough.

I don't know too much about Martinez, all I do know is having seen Wigan a few times this season, it occurred to me that they have more underrated players than many teams, but they still struggled (didn't we all?). I just haven't been knocked out by Wigan or Martinez, no more than say Coyle, or dare I say it our friend Holloway?

I just think after one lost season, and with so many Villa players needing reassurance or they will leave, we need to appoint someone who can knock heads together or have sufficient gravitas that they command respect, I just don't see Martinez in that mould, certainly not at the moment in his career. We need a Ancelotti, Benitez or at the very least Moyes (even though he is a Scottish MON).

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a feeling that if Martinez is appointed manager then a DOF will also be brought in.....for the record I have a sneaky feeling Gus Hiddink could be worth a punt...he is the only manager I can think of who would cause Meltdown.

after reading that http://tinyurl.com/68lvt6p

I feel a little bit harsh on mclaren

we are so quick to make a decision without thinking it through.

pay compensation (reducing transfe budget) for Martinez or get mclaren for free.

cant help but feel we have made our own bed we will have to lie in it.

martinez or mclaren?

if they were the two what would you do?

You do realise redknapp actually spent quite a fair bit of money at pompey? Not mega mega bucks but a fair bit.

So going by your statement, whats to say martinez couldnt win us an f.a cup with a decent budget to spend? Maybe even better than that?

I'm not saying he wont be unsuccessful - it's that we don't need to take such a leap of faith.

We are still a big club and a big draw. We can appoint someone with a far (far far far) better track record.

He's done nothing to merit such a promotion

Hear hear Coop!! If Martinez joins and it's a big IF let's give the guy a chance get behind him. We need to be patient, all those thinking were going to break top 4, ain't going to happen. We need a different tact and people who keep going on about 9-1 against Spurs fail to mention he went the following year and beat them.

It does seem that Whelan is very confident he will stay. Also add that to the fact that it is understood he feels he owes a debt of loyalty to Whelan, who stuck by him when there was pressure to sack him and is not likely to ask to leave. But, it does tie in with what MM said regarding someone returning from there holiday. Whelan says he will be very surprised if he is Villa manager. The guy will conduct himself very well in his interview, and if he is sold by the club; and I can't imagine why he wouldn't be; I'd expect him to take the job. But who knows. No doubt Moyes will resign tomorrow just to add another name as favourite.

As Mr Thomas Aquinas said, actuality is better than potential. Martinez may well be a very good and developing manager, but he is a bit of a gamble. This season, we need a manager to settle the players, finish solidly in the top 8, and start to build a growth and top four challenge again. Sadly, i don't think Martinez is that man just yet.

So, if as stated in earlier posts which kind of tie up with SSN reports that Rafa wanted 60m to spend on the squad, do we take that as Rafa was being ridiculous? or do we see it as a top manager is saying we are 60m away from a squad which can challenge & the club are not willing to go to that level? Just interested to see peoples thoughts on that really?! :?

MM...bent style meltdown......there goes his credibility. and dont talk nonsense, he meant a positive meltdown. but, i'd be happy if it was martinez.
To be fair, these are just rumours, so we'll have to wait and see until the Villa manager is actually unveiled before saying that.

Personally I think and hope that this is just more smoke and mirrors.

after reading that http://tinyurl.com/68lvt6p

I feel a little bit harsh on mclaren

we are so quick to make a decision without thinking it through.

pay compensation (reducing transfe budget) for Martinez or get mclaren for free.

cant help but feel we have made our own bed we will have to lie in it.

martinez or mclaren?

if they were the two what would you do?

what makes me feel bad is the "mclaren i said to be devistated" , poor bloke

I think he deserves a shot with us, he done OK at wigan considering what kind of club they are! People are banging on about Moyes, he was brought in from Preston. I for one will welcome him. If our Board listened to every fan on who we want we wouldn't have a manager, people just need to get behind who ever the board hire.

So to summarise some of the posts of who people want going by majority

1. Ancelotti - Big european manager, can walk into most jobs which he knows he can - Villa don't fit that bill.

2. Moyes - Won't leave Everton, clearly waiting for the Man U job, understandable.

3. Hughes - Has walked out on 2 clubs aswell as national team manager, up sticks whenever he thinks the grass is greener, which does give Lerner good reason to think this is a stable appointment. Good eye for a player though.

Who we don't want

1. McLaren - was assistant to Fergie, took boro to the uefa cup final and had 1 very poor season at boro but took them to their best position as a club ever, was awful for England. Went away though, Won the Dutch title with Twente which was their first ever. Didn't work out at wolfsburg

2. Rafa - Managed 3 massive clubs in Inter Liverpool and Valencia, made dodgy signings at Liverpool but also brought in some good players. Won 2 La Liga's, UEFA cup final, 2 champ leagues finals which he lost with valencia, won champs league, FA cup.

3. Martinez - up and coming manager, plenty to prove, can get a bargain, does well with limited resources and plays good football

4. Coyle-pretty much the same as Martinez.

So apart from the managers who we can't get. What are we actually expecting as fans if we don't even want managers who have actually won things.

Whelan sounds very confident Martinez will turn it down and stay with Wigan from that telegraph piece.

We have permission to speak - in other words he is having an interview for a job. I've had bloody loads doesn't mean you always end up getting it though

You had loads of interviews to become our manager? Who are you? Dennis Bergkamp? :winkold:

Martinez would be a very poor appointment.

Wigan under Steve Bruce

2007/08 - 14th

2008/09 - 11th

Wigan under Roberto Martinez

2009/10 - 16th

2010/11 - 16th

Steve Bruce > Roberto Martinez

I love these types of arguments, so you're trying to tell me that different seasons don't have many variables like teams around them strengthening, while they also lose playes and are not able to replace them. We finished 6th under Oleary one season then scrapped for relegation another, same with Leeds. So does this mean DOL>DOL??? People should try and look at things more objectively sometimes. Having said that I still want Ancellotti, but would also welcome Martinez.

Well you haffi luk pon di facts. And facts tell yu dat Steve Bruce mek Martinez luk like novice!

:shock: . Weh di patois come from chief? 8)

For goodness sake Randy just give it to Rafa, you gave **** O'Neill 100million over four years - it'll be worth it.

Accprding to the Telegraph, Whelan doesn't think Martinez will take the job, he only let us talk to him out of the courtesy we showed Wigan.

Based on what alot of you are saying with regards to Martinez, I guess Harry Redknapp must be one of the most shite managers as well, since he's been close to relegated and close to relegation more than once.

That is a very good point.

Some people just dont see the bigger picture though

I agree,the redknapp comparison sums it up. Give a good manager with the right ideas a better set of players to work with and you see how good they are.

Just how much better are we than Wigan right now though? And with Martinez as the new manager, Downing will most likely view it as a sign of lack of ambition, and sign with Liverpool. Then Bent will want out, etc., and we're left with riff raff and a manager who doesn't have the allure or reputation to attract top players. I like Martinez and think he's a decent manager. But this is Aston Villa. We need to go up, not sideways or even down....I'm worried. :?