• Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really, Wigan played sexy football? There has to be a law against that I'm sure. I haven't seen them much, but they must hav displayed some briliant shit in order for people to talk them up and have so much faith in a manager that just barely saved their PL status.

No I'm sorry his win ratio is 26%, Martinez not good enough, time to make your voices heard again - go abroad Randy owners in other countries have played in the Premier League or some serious questions regarding your ownership of the club will be asked.

No to Martinez.

Anyone who gets thumped 9-1 8-0 and 6-0 in a short space of a year is simply not good enough.

Do you think Mourinho or Alex Ferguson could have done any better at Wigan?? He's had virtually no money to spend and lost some key players....Wigan are probably a League 1 club (size wise), yet he has kept them up TWICE against the odds.

Would be a terrible appointment imo. Would even prefer McLaren over him.

I`ve seen this a few times! Where were you lads for the last two nights when i needed your help! The steve dream is over now,i`ve moved on.

If we appoint Roberto Martinez then we may as well face the fact that we are nothing more than a glorified feeder club with absolutely no ambition whatsoever.

We may as well appoint Phil Brown, Alan Curbishley or Chris Hughton.

Martinez is a young upcoming manager with a lot of great credentials. He has a philosophy of playing football the right way, has a great knowledge of the game for such a young manager, and seems to be a manager who would be very loyal to a club. However, this is a guy who is currently in the early stages of management, he is still learning. When they specified that we needed a manager with Prem League experience, I didn't think it would be a manager who barely kept Wigan up by the skin of their teeth on the final day. Don't get me wrong, if we appoint him, I will back him. I just feel that he is still a novice and has a great deal to learn in management. Is Villa too big a step for him right now? Well, only time will tell. But, I personally feel he is NOT the manager we should be looking at right now. We are looking for someone to follow on from Houllier's philosophy of playing football the right way; and Martinez does fit into the category. But, are we willing to take a huge punt on someone without essential steel and experience needed to provide us with stability and progression; and gamble with the prospect of another season of failure. I think it would show a slight lack of ambition and the move could backfire big-time. It would also indicate that contrary to what us Villa fans think, he will be told that he has to sell to buy. I would be extremely worried that not only will Young be leaving, Downing will follow and we would only have Bent for one more season. Worrying times for me.

Roberto Martinez would be a terrible appointment. The players would walk all over him. We need a no nonsense guy. He hasn't even made Wigan an established Premier League side. Sooner or later they'll be gone under him.

This screams of a yes man who would be happy enough to take us through mediocrity spending very little.

Martinez has never managed a big club - so why would his win percentage be high. As Wigan (smallest club in prem, tiny wage budget and have to sell any good players) he has won over a quarter of his games. He doesnt spend anything in net terms and still wins a quarter of his games.

Rafa spent hundreds of millions and won half his games?

Really? Are we saying Martinez is no good?

Someone on H&V speculated that Martinez could be backup in case "meltdown man" doesn't go ahead.

I missed a whole day worth of saga, what is this meltdown man?

The guy with the melting face?

The guy with the melting face? No, it's not Redknapp. :lol:

MM posted on H&V and said something about the possibility of a managerial appointment that would cause Bent-style meltdown. He said he didn't want to reveal too much as he didn't want to disrupt it.