• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

I like it. Didn't he have to work on more of a budget than Bruce at Wigan, hence them not being as good? Am I clutching at straws or **** right.

A young up and coming manager who has a good football philosophy. Some of the bigger names might simply be out of our reach - simple as that. We just lost our biggest name manager and this might just be the best decision we could make. Face facts. Martinez could build something here over time.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would they go for Martinez over Rafa or Hughes? I don't really believe it.

Because hughes walks out on his clubs and rafa maybe wanted shitloads of money to spend or turned us down.

Of course they are good managers but its about getting the right fit for us for the long term.

I don`t think randy will be keen on being back searching for a manager again in a couple of seasons. With rafa or hughes that would be a real possibilty.

Just because we have been given permission to talk to him doesn't even mean he is one of our top targets. I imagine that Rafa was interviewed but rejected as well as others. Martinez may interview poorly and put Randy and Paul Faulkner off.

I would prefer Coyle over Martinez. Martinez's success had come in League 1, getting Swansea into the Championship, and like other people have pointed out, his record at Wigan is really poor. Don't see the sense at all. Hopefully Kendrick is being fed some bs.

Martinez is a good manager, he laid foundations at Swansea and left for Wigan (understandable). Has a vast footballing knowledge (especially good young technical players in spain) and anybody that has seen the players he brought into swansea on next to nothing. Brought great young players in McArthur and McCarthy and developed them (McCarthy) more so. Who knows, we may end up with N'Zog & Rolladega. Clearly he has the passion and inspiration, Wigan were dead and burried and one point and he turned it around. He needs a club with the resources to fulfil his potential and we will give him that chance. Get behind the board for once and give the guy a chance, then judge.

I for one will give the guy my full support.

Correct me if i'm way off base here, but, we're interviewing candidates at the moment. Being given permission to interview a candidate doesn't mean to say it's a given that person will get it? Granted it shows we're very interested but anything could still happen. Thoughts on Martinez? Likable bloke, young and hungry, but, there's that word again 'but'. Not sold on it at the moment, could be more down to all the rumours and potential excitement surrounding other 'bigger' names. It's not wrapped up yet.

MM will lose credibility if it's Martinez! Lerner will regret this appointment if we are in the bottom 6 after 8 games. The fans will vote with their feet!

An inexperienced manager at this time will be suicide. If true, we can assume we are happy to survive...........

Martinez is a good up and coming Manager who could get better and better, given backing and time. Again, he wouldn't be my first choice but I wouldn't be unhappy with him. He has bought well over the years and isn't worried about bringing in players from abroad. Bigger club, learning curve etc but more than capable.

bang on the money...

I'd support the appointment.. I'm just not sure he is ready for a big job like Villa, also Wigan's defence has got me worried (I mean they were close to relegation to be fair)

Whats he supposed to do though? Its not like he can go out and sign john terry and rio ferdinand is it? Hes working under very tight restraints and also the fact hes at an unfashionable club like wigan (no disrespect).

That would change if he came here though

What's he supposed to do?

How about organising the defence? they don't have world beaters fair enough but they aren't organised at all.. he has had ALOT of time to sort out the defence aswell.

I'm late to this but delighted that Randy has ruled out McClaren due to the reaction, lets be honest, on here. To think we actually influence in some way the next manager of our club is a great thing.

Whoa. You really think I could have influenced randy and the crew by banging the martinez drum?

Randy...if youre reading this...

Giz a job??

No I'm sorry his win ratio is 26%, Martinez not good enough, time to make your voices heard again - go abroad Randy owners in other countries have played in the Premier League or some serious questions regarding your ownership of the club will be asked.

No to Martinez.

Anyone who gets thumped 9-1 8-0 and 6-0 in a short space of a year is simply not good enough.

26% AT WIGAN.

Can we not go through all this moaning shit again. Fair play on here but the point is to support the team - AND whoever is in charge. I can't hack the thought of going through all that bullshit again.

I wish people would stop using win percentages to try and prove something as it doesn't. He's the manager of Wigan ffs, like us they lose their better players every year but it's a lot tougher for them to replace them.

There are other negatives you could put against him but not that.