• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

I think this is pointless discussing until it's confirmed. I think Martinez may well have been one of the names in the hat,

but I'll be surprised if he becomes our manager.

Still he knows the English game inside out, gets his teams playing good football and by all accounts is well respected by the players.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like nothing happens for a week. - But now we just want 'a Manager' in as quickly as possible. I don't doubt Randy's intentions - but he is looking a bit of novice here to be honest.

Roberto Martinez would be a terrible appointment. The players would walk all over him. We need a no nonsense guy. He hasn't even made Wigan an established Premier League side. Sooner or later they'll be gone under him.

This screams of a yes man who would be happy enough to take us through mediocrity spending very little.

We need a no nosense guy to come in and play more hoof ball? These "no nonsense" types always lose their dressing rooms nowadays. These modern players don`t respond to it.

Martinez has proved he can motivate players under pressure and the whole dressing room like him and respect him. How many stories of dressing romm unrest have you heard come out of wigan?

Its not about bollocking people its about the players wanting to play for you. With martinez this is clearly the case. Give him a set of more talented players to apply his ideas with and it will be good.

Plus Dunne and Collins will be taking the piss.

Who are dunne and collins to take the piss? And why would this be an issue? they bloody useless anyway!

Our defenders - and we need somebody who knows discipline to keep them under wraps, Martinez certainly not.

No I'm sorry his win ratio is 26%, Martinez not good enough, time to make your voices heard again - go abroad Randy owners in other countries have played in the Premier League or some serious questions regarding your ownership of the club will be asked.

No to Martinez.

Anyone who gets thumped 9-1 8-0 and 6-0 in a short space of a year is simply not good enough.

Never lost at Villa Parka nd in the last 2 seasons we have lost 6-1,7-1 and 5-0

Im sorry but if any player wants to leave my club they can go. For the right price of course. I dont wanna hold on to players unnecesarily. All players can be replaced. Young swapped with N'Zogbia for example. So we shouldnt appoint a manager because we might keep a player another season. We need to make the right long term appointment, not someone who sees this job as an easy way to make a fast buck and then move on. We need someone keen to prove something.

I'd rather have Mcalren too. Steve Bruce done a great job with Wigan. Martinez almost got them relegated !! Again I've must have missed these matches where Wigan have been playing like Barca. Media stereotype because Martinez is Spanish? I think so.

Martinez - not good enough. I'd prefer McLaren.

I'm not deluded enough to think we should be attracting Ancelotti or Moyes but we're a big enough draw that we can attract a bigger name than Martinez.

Wigan were worse at defending set peices than we were.

We also need a man who can convince players to stay, Martinez is not the guy - for goodness sake Randy.

Exactly, right now we need someone with a reputation that the players will respect and want to stick around for because they believe he'll help us challenge for the CL. Otherwise it's goodbye all out best players, which in turn lowers our clubs reputation for attracting big names and we're back to where we were before O'Neil joined.

It's actually hilarious that we would turn down a manager who won a club its first ever trophy and then won another club in another country its first ever league title over a manager who got promoted from the third tier of English football and little else.

I'm far from saying I wanted McClaren, but to choose Martinez over him is a total farce. I'm embarrassed that we are even linked with him.

Dreams of Ancelotti last week have turned into fear and dread. **** football, dearly me.

If we do appoint him I just hope everybody gets behind him. Ya know, support?

I doubt that will happen. At the end of the day not everyone will be happy, and Lerner shouldn't take into account who will please the fans. If Martinez is his man, I trust his judgement but if it goes wrong we know who to point the finger at.