• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

Birmingham Mail news is just about McClaren not being on the list of managers we want.

It says he is not top of list but his credentials make him worthy of an interview, Southgate agrees he should not be above the other two candidates so does he know who they are to say that?

STEVE McClaren is NOT the leading contender for the Aston Villa job despite the claret and blues sounding out the unpopular former England coach about their managerial vacancy.

It emerged yesterday that McClaren’s representatives have been approached as Randy Lerner launches a thorough search for Gerard Houllier’s Villa Park successor.

But the Birmingham Mail understands McClaren is not among the prime targets Lerner intends to speak to this week after jetting in from America.

Villa’s tentative interest in the former Middlesbrough, FC Twente and Wolfsburg manager sparked a negative backlash with angry fans besieging message-boards.

Despite lifting the League Cup at Boro and leading the Riverside club to a UEFA Cup final, McClaren is largely remembered for his dismal spell as England boss.

The 50-year-old coach was cruelly dubbed the ‘Wally with the Brolly’ after the enduring image of him forlornly holding an umbrella as the Three Lions failed to qualify for Euro 2008.

McClaren kick-started his career in Holland with FC Twente and won the title in his second season, but even then was lampooned for doing interviews in a ridiculous Dutch accent.

With impressive coaching credentials at Man United and Derby, Villa felt it was important to check out McClaren.

But the claret and blues are still contemplating whether to take their interest any further as they prefer to meet another two targets with Premier League management experience.

Villa old boy Gareth Southgate is not surprised by the negativity surrounding McClaren, but reckons his former Boro boss has strong credentials, along with other contenders.

“Look I won’t put Steve ahead of any of the other candidates that are there, but I will say he’s as good as any of those in the frame for the job,” said Southgate.

“Whenever he is linked with a job there always seems to be a bit of a negative reaction yet if you look at what he has done you begin to think.

“He’s been assistant manager at Manchester United, he’s worked with the first team at Derby, he’s been an assistant for England before becoming the manager, he’s won a championship abroad, and he’s had a great deal of success with Middlesborough, winning them their first trophy, you then start to think, ‘Well why wouldn’t he be in the frame, logically’

“Logically he’s going to be in the frame because of his success.

“Unfortunately, people are always tainted by things that didn’t go so well in their careers, but there’s a hell of a lot of things that Steve has done well.”

Mentions of McClaren’s name in connection with the Villa job have not gone down well with many fans who remember an irate Boro supporter hurling his season ticket at the boss during Villa’s 4-0 win at the Riverside in February 2006.

“I’m not surprised with the reaction because that’s the way we are now,” said Southgate.

“I’ve lived through it, but I would say you’ve got to look at what he has done.

“Everybody improves by the knock-backs you get. After England he went abroad and you’ve got to give him great credit for that for going and winning a title.

“Steve’s a very hard-working coach and he looks to improve all the time.

“But there are equally a couple of other guys who I think would do a good job too.

“I don’t think Steve has got anything to prove.”

It is understood that Fulham’s appointment of Martin Jol yesterday will have no bearing on Villa’s stance towards Mark Hughes, who is still regarded as a highly unlikely outsider by the claret and blue hierarchy.

link

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is understood that Fulham’s appointment of Martin Jol yesterday will have no bearing on Villa’s stance towards Mark Hughes, who is still regarded as a highly unlikely outsider by the claret and blue hierarchy

This is worrying that they fancy Wally more than Sparky

Smetrov will you ever post a reply without mentioning the ambition of Lerner. Lerner's ambition can only be questioned when the manager is appointed and at this moment no one has unless you know something different.

Quite Right. But he appointed Houllier. And now looks set to appoint a 2nd rate manager IMO because he doesn't want the hassle of appointing a stronger manager.

Its this nonsense thats giving Villa fans a bad name.

I agree,so childish the way some look at it. Just because we ask ancelotti he would come and if he doesn`t randy isn`t ambitious. Or if the manager they want doesn`t get the job the stadium is going to be empty.

The concept of randy not being ambitious for the club is something i don`t get,Like he bought a football club to make it worse.

This post will get slated. Maybe i would get a better response if i called a manager a word removed or wrote who i don`t want 9 times.

Isn't the Bent article just old from Saturday?

Ancelotti is out of it.

He is unlikely, though I wouldn't 100% rule him out just yet. I remember Big Ron categorically saying he'd be mad to leave Sheffield Wednesday, days later he was rocking up at Villa Park as our new manager. Houllier said we weren't looking to sign a new striker in January, days later Bent was holding the shirt on the pitch. Basically, what is said and reported in the press isn't always the truth.

Has everyone blatantly ignored the post I put up on page 22 with the Birmingham mail article of Darren Bent saying we should get Ancelloti? :idea:

Promising article, but unfortunately it's just rehashed quotes from his interview before the England game on Saturday.

From MYSTERYMAN from another site...not postingehre now but is there???

Randy was at VP yesterday obviously not interviewing probably more taking stock of things .

Yes there was interest in Ancelotti but to say he was the only target is wrong they wanted to speak to him to understand what he could do for Aston Villa as much as what we could do for Ancelotti . I personally didn't think he was the right fit for Villa because I just think we wouldn't be able to match either of our aspirations .

McClaren and Hughes as stated one is a non starter the other a consideration of sorts but not going anywhere with it .

I have heard rumours from a few sources that Owen Coyle is in the thinking but wouldn't put my house on it I genuinely don't think anyone outside of the inner sanctum really knows who we are after now .

Benitez might not like the look of him or his arrogance towards other clubs when in charge of Liverpool also made some odd signings but who hasn't . But you can't say he isn't a decent candidate for AVFC jesus he got the job after Liverpool to manage the Champions of Europe ! Good cv but I am not sure Randy would want another control freak in if you are to believe what Rafa is and his dealings in the past with his previous Boards.

I think Randy will look to someone who can build on what GH was starting to do with the scouting / the type of football and sorting out the wage bill in line with the UEFA rulings and our budget ! He will want someone he can trust who when he is away from base and can work with the CEO ! He will want a Manager of the Football side of the club who won't get involved in the other side.

My hunch is that man ias the finished article is Moyes but may have to settle for a work in progress.

It is understood that Fulham’s appointment of Martin Jol yesterday will have no bearing on Villa’s stance towards Mark Hughes, who is still regarded as a highly unlikely outsider by the claret and blue hierarchy

This is worrying that they fancy Wally more than Sparky

Worrying that they fancy the the guy who has acheived more in the game?

The fact you refer to him as wally tells me the england thing is clouding your judgement.

Rijkaard has done nothing to even be considered for the job of our ladies team, let alone being the main man of our great club. Rijkaard was a great player of this I have no doubt, however this doesn't make him a good manager. Far too often in todays games former greats get jobs at big clubs on name alone. Moyes was my first vote aswell as my second and will be my third as well as my fouth.........

Rijkaard won the Champions League as manager and was voted UEFA Manager of the Year - not too shabby!

To be fair your right.....however my next doors neighbours cat could have managed the best team in the world to the CL... For the record SHA won the Carling Cup this year....

You do realise Barca hadnt won hardly anything in 6-7 years prior to Rijkaard joining?

He was the one that started it all off.. They are where they are today because of Rijkaard.. :P

Thanks for backing me up. WHY, your neighbour's cat sounds incredibly gifted, if this cat is as good as Rijkaard then I'd be happy for Villa Park to be fitted with a golden catflap and a bowl of milk in the dugout. Seriously Rijkaard is noted amongst Barca fans for turning them into the club they are now, promoting the likes of Xavi and Iniesta. I accept he's a risk but one I would take (given that I have an emotional and not that significant financial investment in the club).

Mate anyone who knows anything about football will know it was Johan Cruyff who took the Ajax system to Barca...Rijkaard reaped all the benefits....WHAT has he done since Barca?

joking? when did cruyff leave barca? 1994? 1995? when did rijkaard become manager? 8 ? 9 years later? 6 or 7 managers after he left?

your living in a fantasy world if you try and claim cruyff is responsible for other managers work that far down the road, maybe a year after he left, maybe at a very very big stretch 2 years after he left.

2 league titles and the champions league and you make claims he has done nothing as a manager?

and since barca? well he improved galatasarys points total by 20 in his first season in turkey and despite not being financially backed still got more points than before he joined in his second season.

i still think it could be ancelotti but seeing rubbish like what you put makes me think you want us to get some substandard no mark such as hughes.

Gone for Hughes, as I did before GH had to leave. Would be more than pleased with Moyes and tbh it's 50/50 for me with Hughes, I don't think there's a lot to choose between them.

Fans have the right to question the owner/manager/players all the time. What you can't do is jusdge them for stuff they haven't done on the premise they 'might' do it.

I am 100% convinced that Randy loves the club and will do what he thinks best for the club. Wether it turns out to be the correct decision in the long term, well, only time can tell. I have never questioned his love of the club or the fact he thinks he is doing the right things. I do however question his football acumen and that of his closest advisors up to this point.

I am rapidly descending into the 'wake me up when it's all over' camp though.

To be fair Steve Mac has had his name tarnished by the Media more than anything with their standard England manager kicking sessions. Those "wally with a brolly" comments came directly from newspaper articles lest we forget.

It's actually quite ironic that now some fans have picked up on those very unfair comments it is the self same media who have got the gaul to criticise those fans for spouting the nonsense which they originated!

For the record Steve Maclaren is no doubt a superb coach & manager.. you don't get Middlesborough winning trophies if you are not nor do you win a championship abroad with a team like Twente!

All these copycat comments about wally's etc do indeed sound very childish though you can in a way understand the disappointment of many including myself at the apparent snub from Ancelotti to then refocussing & seeing a "Wally with a brolly" stood in his place! I think a lot of the negativity is more down to that than really directed at the man himself.

A bit like being told you were being given an Aston Martin only to then go to pick it up from the showroom to be told they had changed their mind & the Aston Martin was no longer avaliable but it was ok coz you could have the BMW instead.

It does appear that Mclaren may have been/still is being considered which makes you wonder what the calibre of the others in the frame is. I mean if you are say looking at Moyes or Ancelotti then you don't consider the likes of Mclaren. If however you are considering the like of Martinez, Poyet or even Macallister :puke: then I guess you'd also have Mclaren in the mix.

It does appear that Mclaren may have been/still is being considered which makes you wonder what the calibre of the others in the frame is. I mean if you are say looking at Moyes or Ancelotti then you don't consider the likes of Mclaren. If however you are considering the like of Martinez, Poyet or even Macallister :puke: then I guess you'd also have Mclaren in the mix.

I think from MM's quote, its McClaren who was a non starter and hughes was the one considered. Thats what I heard from elsewhere too a few weeks back.

Villa on verge of choosing new boss

Wednesday 8th June 2011, 9:40AM BST.

Villa are today on the verge of appointing a new manager and the Express & Star understands they could name Gerard Houllier’s replacement before the weekend.

Owner Randy Lerner and chief executive Paul Faulkner are understood to be close to finalising their choice for the job, after secret talks with prospective candidates took place over the past 48 hours.

The identity of the new man is being kept under wraps while the finer details are ironed out, although former England coach Steve McClaren and current Wigan manager Roberto Martinez are thought to be among the frontrunners.

Ex-Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has also been strongly linked to the vacancy and his agent today refused to comment on rumours that he has held talks with the claret and blues.

Former Villa captain Gareth Southgate insisted that McClaren would have nothing to prove if he is handed the Villa job, despite the lukewarm reception supporters have given the news that he is among the contenders.

Southgate, who lifted the League Cup and reached the UEFA Cup final under McClaren at Middlesbrough, dismissed suggestions the 50-year-old lacked credentials.

The former defender, who McClaren signed for Boro from Villa for £6.5million in 2001, said: “There seems to be, when he’s linked with a job, a negative reaction from people.

“Yet if you look at him as someone who has been the assistant manager at Manchester United, the England manager, won a championship abroad and had a great deal of success with Middlesbrough, then you start to think why wouldn’t he be in the frame?

“Unfortunately we’re always tainted by things which didn’t go so well in our careers but there’s a lot Steve has done right.

“We’re talking about a job which has proved difficult for many outstanding managers and coaches and I look at Steve’s record at other clubs and it’s very strong.”

McClaren rebuilt his reputation with Twente in Holland, winning the Eredivisie in 2010, before moving to German outfit Wolfsburg – where he was sacked in February.

But Southgate, the FA’s head of elite development, reckons McClaren will not simply walk into the job.

He said: “Steve’s a hard working coach who wants to improve all the time. But it’s a job which will be coveted and there are good people who would do an excellent job out there.

“Randy Lerner and the board seem very well organised. They had a difficult season last year as when you lose your manager days before the start it’s going to have an impact.”

Here

Wouldnt Dismiss Poyet, particularly if other avenues (Moyes, Jol, Ancelotti) have been exhausted. Yes its probably a bit too early for him, but we're going to need a manager with a long term vision for the club, to which effect, a young manager like Poyet might be just the man.