• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

I voted for Hughes , I think he is a young manager with plenty to prove, he can grow with the club an leave a legacy. He has managed small clubs with no money and big clubs with bucket loads, any mistakes he made will have been learnt from and not at our expense. I realy think he would be great for us !!!!!

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus - why do peopel still give respect to MON - what respect did he give us when he left the club 5 days before the satrt of last season?

What respect did he give Randy Lerner - who couldn't have done any more for that overrated egotistical

What respect did he give the fans with his actions when being stubborn when the fans cheered luke young and delfouneso vs Wolves when we desperately needed them on? BEcause the crowd made a sarcy clap - the clearing in the woods went against the best interests of the team and didn't put them on. What about him blaming the fans for 'booing' gabby - when we clearly didn't boo him - it was a sarcy clap at the stubborn fool for eventuallt taking him off.

MON is revered yet he achieved nothing better than DOL did in DOLs first season and put the clubs future in jeopardy by wasting millions.

Wages & Wages/ turnover % were worse than any time at Leeds - look where they are now - MON is a clearing in the woods and I wish teh love in woudl stop. #

He is a complete Toss pot in my opinion all his good work means nothing, the man abondoned us and walked away , then fought us for compensation , not fit to enter ASTON let alone our beloved Stadium.

I would be genuinely shocked if Villa were to take a gamble on one of the greener candidates though I can see some merit in considering Martinez who I can see developing into a brilliant manager given time. But given that one of Villa's chief problems last season was defensive naivete and addressing this must be of paramount concern to any new manager taking over, this is not the best time for Martinez to be thrust into a position that will inevitably be unforgiving if the team fails to get the basics right.

Totally agree. He will be a huge success in time, but the Villa job is just TOO big for him at present. He needs to develop an edge to his character yet and being at a big club, with all its expectations, could see him being chewed up and spat out.

I think the ongoing silence from the club could prove to be telling.

It would certainly appear that all of the talk concerning McLaren over the past couple of days has been driven by newspapers who clearly have no more of an idea than we do as to what is actually going on. It makes sense that McLaren's representatives would've been contacted by Villa - or vice versa - but the outcry from supporters on messageboards, phone-ins and such like will have been sufficient to have dissuaded Mr. Lerner from pursuing this any further.

I would be genuinely shocked if Villa were to take a gamble on one of the greener candidates though I can see some merit in considering Martinez who I can see developing into a brilliant manager given time. But given that one of Villa's chief problems last season was defensive naivete and addressing this must be of paramount concern to any new manager taking over, this is not the best time for Martinez to be thrust into a position that will inevitably be unforgiving if the team fails to get the basics right.

Which as far as I can see only leaves Mark Hughes and Rafa Benitez. If, as has been reported and Hughes is not being considered - which I find hard to believe or understand - and Mr. Lerner is still only considering candidates with previous Premier League experience (ruling out Rijkaard), then I have a feeling it could well be Benitez, and I'm increasingly of the belief that this could prove to be a very good appointment. If Ancelotti has been approached and has decided that its not ultimately the role for him, then it's hard to argue that Benitez is not the next best option in terms of past track record. I'm also encouraged by the desire he seems to have to work specifically in the Premier League, as evidenced by his turning down the Athletico Madrid job. We need a manager who is hungry to make a mark and he seems to really want to prove himself again - something that Ancelotti may not necessarily have been able to bring to the role.

A couple of years ago, I would've found it virtually impossible to even entertain the notion of Benitez being our manager but my dislike of the man personally stems largely from his dogged pursuit of Gareth Barry. There were also a number of less than gracious displays on the touchline and in press conferences which added fuel to such antipathy but many of us have repeatedly stated that what Villa have lacked in recent times is a more ruthless edge. Assuming he hasn't mellowed - and I do think he has been humbled by the experiences of the last 18 months - this could be seen as an advantage if it is now in service of our own interests.

The combination of a fueding board and the long shadow of Kenny Dalglish has been amply proven to be an insurmountable trial for Liverpool managers and Roy Hodgson's experience when taking over from Benitez perhaps offers all the proof one may need to know that the club's poor form during Benitez' final season in charge could be put downj to factors beyond his control. His ill-fated and short-lived tenure at Inter is possibly more concerning but, again, there were mitigating factors, not the least of which were issues with a board that were not prepared to back him and is the fact that despite winning the Champions League the team itself was limited and it took someone of Mourinho's prodigious abilities to get that kind of performance level out of them.

His record in England is good. He took Liverpool to their highest placed league finish and a points tally in 2008/9 that would've comfortably won the title this past season and whilst some dismiss the Champions League triumph as a fluke, which to a certain extent it was, the fact that he took the side to a second final only two years later perhaps offers greater evidence that the man seriously knows what he is doing. At Villa, he will be working for a chairman that will get out of the way and let him control the footballing side of things - and provided he is indeed willing to play a more active role in the integration of younger players than he has previously and lay the foundation for sustainable improvement and growth, I'd be very optimistic that if supplemented with sensible financial backing that he has the potential to take the club further than any of the other possible contenders.

At this point, the only alternative that I think I would prefer would be David Moyes - and I must admit that without the usual protestations from Everton that he is most definitely either not available or not interested, I am wondering if it is negotiations behind the smokescreen of media attention on Ancelotti and McLaren that have been occupying the time of the Villa heirarchy over the past week. It could be that we are yet in for a very pleasant surprise - and I think there's little doubt that Moyes is probably the one candidate that would be greeted with the nearest we are likely to get to universal approval. In contrast, Benitez will always, I feel, be a divisive personality - but then a lot of winners are. I just hope that if Mr. Lerner is going to go with him that people can see beyond their previous impressions of the man to see the possibilities of what he can bring to the club. The ongoing results of the above poll suggest people are coming round to the idea.

Great post Alec 8)

Great post. I really don't see what is with all the hate to Rafa. It must be, as you mentioned, the saga with Barry. Before that I don't see why he was such a hated character in the Holte. I'd have him at VP, after Carlo he is the next best option with PL experience. That much is fact. Next up is McClown, no thanks.

As far as Moyes is concerned, I just don't seeing it happen. How much of a word removed would he look to the footballing world if he left Everton to join us, after stating he wasn't interested. Not gunna happen.

My bet is Benitez, McClaren, Martinez, Hughes, Hughton or gasp, MON.

Jesus - why do peopel still give respect to MON - what respect did he give us when he left the club 5 days before the satrt of last season?

What respect did he give Randy Lerner - who couldn't have done any more for that overrated egotistical

What respect did he give the fans with his actions when being stubborn when the fans cheered luke young and delfouneso vs Wolves when we desperately needed them on? BEcause the crowd made a sarcy clap - the clearing in the woods went against the best interests of the team and didn't put them on. What about him blaming the fans for 'booing' gabby - when we clearly didn't boo him - it was a sarcy clap at the stubborn fool for eventuallt taking him off.

MON is revered yet he achieved nothing better than DOL did in DOLs first season and put the clubs future in jeopardy by wasting millions.

Wages & Wages/ turnover % were worse than any time at Leeds - look where they are now - MON is a clearing in the woods and I wish teh love in woudl stop. #

why? what happened there? and show me some hard facts and quotes and none of this hearsay shit about what people think happened.

It's taken me a while to warm to the idea of FSW. A few things concerned me, especially his ability to bring our youth into the set up.

Then IIRC wasn't he behind the bid from Inter for Gary Gardner?? I thought there were two bids from inter and real?

If so shows a sign he can see the quality we are bringing through.

Think my vote a present is nudging towards him.....mostly due to Alecs post. But I'm sure someone will reply with one that'll make me think again.

why? what happened there? and show me some hard facts and quotes and none of this hearsay shit about what people think happened.

MON left the club knowing full well it would **** up the season ahead.

They are the facts, the bloke is a tosser... the only thing MON cares about is MON.

As for the new manager..... Hoping on Moyes, cant see it happening at all though.

MON left the club knowing full well it would **** up the season ahead.

They are the facts, the bloke is a tosser... the only thing MON cares about is MON.

As for the new manager..... Hoping on Moyes, cant see it happening at all though.

i'd love moyes too. but on MON, nobody knows the facts and for me if the board **** up with this appointment then it is plain and simple to all that they dont know **** all about running a club. ask any browns fan what they think of them.

Who do I want? Martin O'Neill.

I know some fans will be against it, but something pretty major obviously happened between him and Lerner which led to him walking out.

I think if he came back and had a good start to the season, all the fans would soon forgive him.

However, I don't think we will get him, I can't see it being McClaren or Benitez either.

I think Ancelotti is worth a bet, could have easily been misquoted the other day when he said he was taking time out of football.

If I had to put all my money on someone, I think it would be Ancelotti at the moment.

Who do I want? Martin O'Neill.

I know some fans will be against it, but something pretty major obviously happened between him and Lerner which led to him walking out.

I think if he came back and had a good start to the season, all the fans would soon forgive him.

However, I don't think we will get him, I can't see it being McClaren or Benitez either.

I think Ancelotti is worth a bet, could have easily been misquoted the other day when he said he was taking time out of football.

If I had to put all my money on someone, I think it would be Ancelotti at the moment.

Nope would never forgive MON for walking out 5 days before the season. He thinks he is bigger that the club.

i'd love moyes too. but on MON, nobody knows the facts and for me if the board **** up with this appointment then it is plain and simple to all that they dont know **** all about running a club. ask any browns fan what they think of them.

Because running a football club at the highest level with a huge fan base with high expectations, is a really easy thing to do, right?

Who's to say decent manager even want to come to Villa?

People waiting to have a dig at the board are pathetic.

Would be over the moon if true, and I have no reason to doubt you nik, but perhaps your associate has just spotted Coyle on the way in for an interview or something.

Its coyle. Head of PE at school has a brother in law who is a villa physio. He just found me at break and said its coyle. Him and his brother in law have both put hundreds on it!

Haha ...I honestly cannot tell if you are joking.

Its coyle. Head of PE at school has a brother in law who is a villa physio. He just found me at break and said its coyle. Him and his brother in law have both put hundreds on it!

Well if the head of PE says so .....Big fat Owens claret and blue army!

I hope you're right. Coyle would be an excellent addition.

Haha ...I honestly cannot tell if you are joking.

I laughed so hard reading that, a little bit of wee came out!