• McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

Moyes or Benitez for me.

I think if the Benitez / Barry saga didnt happen then he would get a bigger shout from the fans. He cannot be that bad a manager if Inter Milan chased him and Real Madrid was linked with him on a number of occasions. Okay he made some vital mistakes but I am sure he is better for it. He knows the prem, he knows what is needed to succeed in the prem, I think he's worth a shout.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair Steve Mac has had his name tarnished by the Media more than anything with their standard England manager kicking sessions. Those "wally with a brolly" comments came directly from newspaper articles lest we forget.

It's actually quite ironic that now some fans have picked up on those very unfair comments it is the self same media who have got the gaul to criticise those fans for spouting the nonsense which they originated!

For the record Steve Maclaren is no doubt a superb coach & manager.. you don't get Middlesborough winning trophies if you are not nor do you win a championship abroad with a team like Twente!

All these copycat comments about wally's etc do indeed sound very childish though you can in a way understand the disappointment of many including myself at the apparent snub from Ancelotti to then refocussing & seeing a "Wally with a brolly" stood in his place! I think a lot of the negativity is more down to that than really directed at the man himself.

A bit like being told you were being given an Aston Martin only to then go to pick it up from the showroom to be told they had changed their mind & the Aston Martin was no longer avaliable but it was ok coz you could have the BMW instead.

You are a legend.

Rijkaard has done nothing to even be considered for the job of our ladies team, let alone being the main man of our great club. Rijkaard was a great player of this I have no doubt, however this doesn't make him a good manager. Far too often in todays games former greats get jobs at big clubs on name alone. Moyes was my first vote aswell as my second and will be my third as well as my fouth.........

Rijkaard won the Champions League as manager and was voted UEFA Manager of the Year - not too shabby!

To be fair your right.....however my next doors neighbours cat could have managed the best team in the world to the CL... For the record SHA won the Carling Cup this year....

You do realise Barca hadnt won hardly anything in 6-7 years prior to Rijkaard joining?

He was the one that started it all off.. They are where they are today because of Rijkaard.. :P

Thanks for backing me up. WHY, your neighbour's cat sounds incredibly gifted, if this cat is as good as Rijkaard then I'd be happy for Villa Park to be fitted with a golden catflap and a bowl of milk in the dugout. Seriously Rijkaard is noted amongst Barca fans for turning them into the club they are now, promoting the likes of Xavi and Iniesta. I accept he's a risk but one I would take (given that I have an emotional and not that significant financial investment in the club).

Mate anyone who knows anything about football will know it was Johan Cruyff who took the Ajax system to Barca...Rijkaard reaped all the benefits....WHAT has he done since Barca?

joking? when did cruyff leave barca? 1994? 1995? when did rijkaard become manager? 8 ? 9 years later? 6 or 7 managers after he left?

your living in a fantasy world if you try and claim cruyff is responsible for other managers work that far down the road, maybe a year after he left, maybe at a very very big stretch 2 years after he left.

2 league titles and the champions league and you make claims he has done nothing as a manager?

and since barca? well he improved galatasarys points total by 20 in his first season in turkey and despite not being financially backed still got more points than before he joined in his second season.

i still think it could be ancelotti but seeing rubbish like what you put makes me think you want us to get some substandard no mark such as hughes.

Cheers for backing me up. If anyone can remember the Champ League final between Arsenal and Barca from 2006 Rijkaard made two key attacking substitutions that changed the game in their favour. If he's seriously interested it would be foolish not to sound him out, He might not be an obvious fit and it might not work out but I'd like to see what he could offer.

just to point out, middlesvilla spent a shit load under mcclaren in both transfer fees and also in wages

the league positions for them as him as manager at that time were as follows

2001/2 12th

2002/3 11th

2003/4 11th

2004/5 7th

2005/6 14th

then he left

the great manager that was gareth southgate then improved on the teams league position

2006/7 12th

2007/8 13th

so while not a disaster, it is not all that impressive either

If Hughes is a highly unlikely outsider according to Matt today in the mail article that basically rules schteve out, who does that leave us with? Benitez.

I cannot bring myself to ever warm to him. I physically despise the man and it'll be crushing if we appoint him. This for me would be the worst point in my entire life as a villa supporter. I can't think of a single person in the history of the sport I detest more then Rafa **** Benitez.

What has MugClaren done since the england debacle to deserve to instantly come back into such a big job as villa in the English Premier League arguebly one of the best and most difficult leagues in the world.

He took a dutch side to the title in the dutch league fair play but lets face it look at the standard of some of the sides in that league.... He then got sacked from Wolfsburg and i fully expect him to not last more than 6 months if he takes over at Villa

Career suicide for him if he manages us, the fans will be on his back and so will the media if he does not make an instant impact which he won't because when was the last time he managed in the premiership? Surely there will need to be some period of adjustment.. All because he's an ex failed england manager and will always carry the wally with the brolly tag

He simply will not be given time to get results considering were coming off the back of a season where we underachieved massively this will be amplified tenfold.

Aston Villa is too big a job and too soon for the man.

If Hughes is a highly unlikely outsider according to Matt today in the mail article that basically rules schteve out, who does that leave us with? Benitez.

I cannot bring myself to ever warm to him. I physically despise the man and it'll be crushing if we appoint him. This for me would be the worst point in my entire life as a villa supporter. I can't think of a single person

in the history of the sport I detest more then Rafa **** Benitez.

Not keen then? :)

I cannot bring myself to ever warm to him. I physically despise the man and it'll be crushing if we appoint him. This for me would be the worst point in my entire life as a villa supporter. I can't think of a single person in the history of the sport I detest more then Rafa **** Benitez.

Most successful managers are egotistical tosser who inspire hate. Fergie, Wenger, Clough, Mourinho & Benitez.

I wouldn't mind a successful tosser at the Villa!

The people voting for Benitez belong on The Kop and not The Holte End. We've just managed to get rid of one of the shell suit wearing drama queens and you want to replace him with another?

He's out of work because the top clubs would no longer touch him with a barge pole. The Spanish waiter, like Houllier, is yesterday's man. With him in charge the Liverpool away fixture would be unbearable.

We need a British manager who is on the up and not yet on Champions League clubs' radars. Coyle, Lambert, Moyes or Hughes!

As for the poster slagging off MON, what exactly do you want? Three top 6 finishes, 2 Wembley appearances, Carew, Milner, Young, the emergence of Gabby. MON was a Villa legend, on a par with GT, in that bracket of managers behind Saunders. He deserves respect!

As for the poster slagging off MON, what exactly do you want? Three top 6 finishes, 2 Wembley appearances, Carew, Milner, Young, the emergence of Gabby. MON was a Villa legend, on a par with GT, in that bracket of managers behind Saunders. He deserves respect

Anybody who done what O'neill done to us is not a Villa legend in any sense of the word whatsoever, ridiculous thing to say

Most successful managers are egotistical tosser who inspire hate. Fergie, Wenger, Clough, Mourinho & Benitez.

Benitez is a failure now. He has ruined Liverpool and failed at the simple job that is Inter and their dominant team. Plus nobody has a worse transfer record than Benitez. Majority of his signings were terrible. Randy would be mad to appoint another unpopular ex liverpool manager.

I'd take anyone over rafa. Anyone, schteve, martinez, even gt mk3

I cannot bring myself to ever warm to him. I physically despise the man and it'll be crushing if we appoint him. This for me would be the worst point in my entire life as a villa supporter. I can't think of a single person

The worst point in your entire life as a Villa fan? Talk about getting your knickers in a twist. What about Saunders leaving, relegation to third tier, losing to Doncaster with David O'DearMe or Graham Taylor almost relegating us? I'd hardly put appointing FSW ahead of any of this.

anybody else get the feeling rafa will get the same welcome as houllier 50/50 if he comes. if he gets the results that could quickly change

I'd say majority would be hostile towards Benitez and if we had a bad start nobody would give him time. While Martinez for example would not be a hostile appointment, nor hughes. We'd give them a chance. A huge number of us hate Benitez and it'll never change. He can't be appointed for that reason.

Benitez is a failure now. He has ruined Liverpool and failed at the simple job that is Inter and their dominant team. Plus nobody has a worse transfer record than Benitez. Majority of his signings were terrible. Randy would be mad to appoint another unpopular ex liverpool manager.

I'd take anyone over rafa. Anyone, schteve, martinez, even gt mk3

Rafa only had a bad last season at Liverpool when the owners were messing about. Inter did not invest when he took over. But yes he should have done better at Inter despite winning a trophy in his short tenure there.

All managers make poor signings, just ask MON! An interview I read stated that one thing he has learnt is too sign less players and concentrate on higer quality instead. Good to see he learns from his mistakes.

And frankly I hope you are saying things for effect if you rate McClaren, Martinez and GT over him!

As much as i dont like the idea of Benitez being our manager i dont think it would be the end of the world. He's won trophies everywhere he's gone, even Inter. He won the Champions League with Liverpool when they were nowhere near the best team in Europe. The only worry i have is that in the past two years he seems to have lost the plot a little bit but he's only 51 and has plenty of time left to improve.

The worst point in your entire life as a Villa fan? Talk about getting your knickers in a twist. What about Saunders leaving, relegation to third tier, losing to Doncaster with David O'DearMe or Graham Taylor almost relegating us? I'd hardly put appointing FSW ahead of any of this.

How old do you think I am. O'leary was a bad time and the loss to Doncaster was bad. But it was one game and I didn't hate O'leary, he scored the winning penalty in the world cup for ireland. Plus had that great first season for us. GT mk2 was bad but he had a great first stint with us. So I don't hate him or anything.

I have no memories of villa being relegated or of saunders save deano. So yes, appointing a man I have a hated for and who I think is on a downward spiral in the game will be the worst point for me in my time as a villa fan

The people voting for Benitez belong on The Kop and not The Holte End. We've just managed to get rid of one of the shell suit wearing drama queens and you want to replace him with another?

He's out of work because the top clubs would no longer touch him with a barge pole. The Spanish waiter, like Houllier, is yesterday's man. With him in charge the Liverpool away fixture would be unbearable.

We need a British manager who is on the up and not yet on Champions League clubs' radars. Coyle, Lambert, Moyes or Hughes!

As for the poster slagging off MON, what exactly do you want? Three top 6 finishes, 2 Wembley appearances, Carew, Milner, Young, the emergence of Gabby. MON was a Villa legend, on a par with GT, in that bracket of managers behind Saunders. He deserves respect!

agree 100% with the O'Neill part never understand why he got so much abuse on here