• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

I like Ranieri but if Dunne and co didn't like Houllier, they will not like Ranieri imho.
Who cares? Dunne and co are the kind of players we've been looking to ship out anyway. We shouldn't be pandering to players, not least oafs like Dunne.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm beginning to warm to Martinez. All managers start somewhere. U can tell his players play for him and he plays it attractively. Maybe we should bring him in and give him time, see what he can do after a few years and give him the chance to work with some better class players. He could bring NZogbia and Figueroa and Rodellega with him.

I'm beginning to warm to Martinez. All managers start somewhere. U can tell his players play for him and he plays it attractively. Maybe we should bring him in and give him time, see what he can do after a few years and give him the chance to work with some better class players. He could bring NZogbia and Figueroa and Rodellega with him.

This has been one of my shouts foe a while, if we can't get in one of the top, top men,then this would probably be my favoured option.

I'm getting worried about this Mclaren thing. His name just won't go away. All the papers this morning are saying he is favourite, while reporting that Ash is on his way to man utd this week and Lerner sees no point in trying to make him stay.

If Schteve is appointed then it points to an owner and board that are becoming increasingly out of their depth and are running out of ideas as time goes on.

The new board might be nice and cuddly but in effect little has changed since the Ellis days. In fact they are too nice and cuddly. All this "must be a manager with Prem experience but we don't really like to poach any other club's manager" is nonsense, if it's true. Football is a dog-eat-dog business.

I hope Randy proves me wrong, but I'm increasingly concerned about the way the club is going. Competing for honours seems further away than ever.

Have you noticed something?

We let it be known that we have approached Ancelotti. Ancelotti turns us down.

We allow to Jol to go to Fulham, so our expectations are lowered again....

We then only have a shortlist with the likes of Martinez, and Maclaren?

My bet is, they were only ever interested in managers like this. I dont think after MoN, Randy will trust a "name" again.

Voted other yesterday. Still hope for Ancelotti or LVG. As it is about who you want. Who it will be I think is very hard to tell these days. Seems like no one knows anything about it. Which really is how it should be.

Would be hesitant to te Benitez, but would still prefer him to Steve. Hughes is one of the better options that's been suggested so far. Moyes is a good shout, but I think his name is too much connected with Everton. I don't think that is for our best. Rijkaard might do a good job, though those who thinks that he took Barcelona to the top on his own without any help from Cruyff are quite wrong, I'd say. Cruyff left Barca as manager a long time ago, but he's still there as an advicor and what he says, they do. Anyway, Rijkaard might be too big a risk for us now. Coyle I don't know too much about, but from what I've seen the good football he's said to have his teams playing is very exagerated.

But I'm still excited as this could be yet another turning point for AVFC the club. :D

dodgyknees wrote:

I like Ranieri but if Dunne and co didn't like Houllier, they will not like Ranieri imho.

Who cares? Dunne and co are the kind of players we've been looking to ship out anyway. We shouldn't be pandering to players, not least oafs like Dunne.

Agree. Dunne will be off anyway. Bring in Ranieri.

I'm getting worried about this Mclaren thing. His name just won't go away. All the papers this morning are saying he is favourite, while reporting that Ash is on his way to man utd this week and Lerner sees no point in trying to make him stay.

If Schteve is appointed then it points to an owner and board that are becoming increasingly out of their depth and are running out of ideas as time goes on.

The new board might be nice and cuddly but in effect little has changed since the Ellis days. In fact they are too nice and cuddly. All this "must be a manager with Prem experience but we don't really like to poach any other club's manager" is nonsense, if it's true. Football is a dog-eat-dog business.

I hope Randy proves me wrong, but I'm increasingly concerned about the way the club is going. Competing for honours seems further away than ever.

Thank god, someone else can see it. Welcome aboard :D

I honestly think Randy will do whats right for the club, he showed with his backing of GH when things were bad that he relies on his judgement a lot which says a lot about the guy.

I think RL knows the direction he wants us to go and I don't think Maclaren is that man unless he is a good blagger.

I think the ongoing silence from the club could prove to be telling.

It would certainly appear that all of the talk concerning McLaren over the past couple of days has been driven by newspapers who clearly have no more of an idea than we do as to what is actually going on. It makes sense that McLaren's representatives would've been contacted by Villa - or vice versa - but the outcry from supporters on messageboards, phone-ins and such like will have been sufficient to have dissuaded Mr. Lerner from pursuing this any further.

I would be genuinely shocked if Villa were to take a gamble on one of the greener candidates though I can see some merit in considering Martinez who I can see developing into a brilliant manager given time. But given that one of Villa's chief problems last season was defensive naivete and addressing this must be of paramount concern to any new manager taking over, this is not the best time for Martinez to be thrust into a position that will inevitably be unforgiving if the team fails to get the basics right.

Which as far as I can see only leaves Mark Hughes and Rafa Benitez. If, as has been reported and Hughes is not being considered - which I find hard to believe or understand - and Mr. Lerner is still only considering candidates with previous Premier League experience (ruling out Rijkaard), then I have a feeling it could well be Benitez, and I'm increasingly of the belief that this could prove to be a very good appointment. If Ancelotti has been approached and has decided that its not ultimately the role for him, then it's hard to argue that Benitez is not the next best option in terms of past track record. I'm also encouraged by the desire he seems to have to work specifically in the Premier League, as evidenced by his turning down the Athletico Madrid job. We need a manager who is hungry to make a mark and he seems to really want to prove himself again - something that Ancelotti may not necessarily have been able to bring to the role.

A couple of years ago, I would've found it virtually impossible to even entertain the notion of Benitez being our manager but my dislike of the man personally stems largely from his dogged pursuit of Gareth Barry. There were also a number of less than gracious displays on the touchline and in press conferences which added fuel to such antipathy but many of us have repeatedly stated that what Villa have lacked in recent times is a more ruthless edge. Assuming he hasn't mellowed - and I do think he has been humbled by the experiences of the last 18 months - this could be seen as an advantage if it is now in service of our own interests.

The combination of a fueding board and the long shadow of Kenny Dalglish has been amply proven to be an insurmountable trial for Liverpool managers and Roy Hodgson's experience when taking over from Benitez perhaps offers all the proof one may need to know that the club's poor form during Benitez' final season in charge could be put downj to factors beyond his control. His ill-fated and short-lived tenure at Inter is possibly more concerning but, again, there were mitigating factors, not the least of which were issues with a board that were not prepared to back him and is the fact that despite winning the Champions League the team itself was limited and it took someone of Mourinho's prodigious abilities to get that kind of performance level out of them.

His record in England is good. He took Liverpool to their highest placed league finish and a points tally in 2008/9 that would've comfortably won the title this past season and whilst some dismiss the Champions League triumph as a fluke, which to a certain extent it was, the fact that he took the side to a second final only two years later perhaps offers greater evidence that the man seriously knows what he is doing. At Villa, he will be working for a chairman that will get out of the way and let him control the footballing side of things - and provided he is indeed willing to play a more active role in the integration of younger players than he has previously and lay the foundation for sustainable improvement and growth, I'd be very optimistic that if supplemented with sensible financial backing that he has the potential to take the club further than any of the other possible contenders.

At this point, the only alternative that I think I would prefer would be David Moyes - and I must admit that without the usual protestations from Everton that he is most definitely either not available or not interested, I am wondering if it is negotiations behind the smokescreen of media attention on Ancelotti and McLaren that have been occupying the time of the Villa heirarchy over the past week. It could be that we are yet in for a very pleasant surprise - and I think there's little doubt that Moyes is probably the one candidate that would be greeted with the nearest we are likely to get to universal approval. In contrast, Benitez will always, I feel, be a divisive personality - but then a lot of winners are. I just hope that if Mr. Lerner is going to go with him that people can see beyond their previous impressions of the man to see the possibilities of what he can bring to the club. The ongoing results of the above poll suggest people are coming round to the idea.

Honestly I think it is Hughes or Moyes. I have money on Moyes, so I hope for it to be Moyes..! lol. I am not a Hughes fan but he will get my backing, as long as he learns to turn draws into wins, I remember under DOL, we were decent but drew far far too many.

Im sure Dunnes copy book has been marked.

Wont be here next season, whomever takes over 8)

I would hope we bring in some mobile defenders who are comfortable on the ball but commanding too. Clark is already the future of our defence, we need a right footed version of him. Cannot think of any off the top of my head.

It would certainly appear that all of the talk concerning McLaren over the past couple of days has been driven by newspapers who clearly have no more of an idea than we do as to what is actually going on. It makes sense that McLaren's representatives would've been contacted by Villa - or vice versa - but the outcry from supporters on messageboards, phone-ins and such like will have been sufficient to have dissuaded Mr. Lerner from pursuing this any further.

I would be genuinely shocked if Villa were to take a gamble on one of the greener candidates though I can see some merit in considering Martinez who I can see developing into a brilliant manager given time. But given that one of Villa's chief problems last season was defensive naivete and addressing this must be of paramount concern to any new manager taking over, this is not the best time for Martinez to be thrust into a position that will inevitably be unforgiving if the team fails to get the basics right.

Which as far as I can see only leaves Mark Hughes and Rafa Benitez. If, as has been reported and Hughes is not being considered - which I find hard to believe or understand - and Mr. Lerner is still only considering candidates with previous Premier League experience (ruling out Rijkaard), then I have a feeling it could well be Benitez, and I'm increasingly of the belief that this could prove to be a very good appointment. If Ancelotti has been approached and has decided that its not ultimately the role for him, then it's hard to argue that Benitez is not the next best option in terms of past track record. I'm also encouraged by the desire he seems to have to work specifically in the Premier League, as evidenced by his turning down the Athletico Madrid job. We need a manager who is hungry to make a mark and he seems to really want to prove himself again - something that Ancelotti may not necessarily have been able to bring to the role.

A couple of years ago, I would've found it virtually impossible to even entertain the notion of Benitez being our manager but my dislike of the man personally stems largely from his dogged pursuit of Gareth Barry. There were also a number of less than gracious displays on the touchline and in press conferences which added fuel to such antipathy but many of us have repeatedly stated that what Villa have lacked in recent times is a more ruthless edge. Assuming he hasn't mellowed - and I do think he has been humbled by the experiences of the last 18 months - this could be seen as an advantage if it is now in service of our own interests.

The combination of a fueding board and the long shadow of Kenny Dalglish has been amply proven to be an insurmountable trial for Liverpool managers and Roy Hodgson's experience when taking over from Benitez perhaps offers all the proof one may need to know that the club's poor form during Benitez' final season in charge could be put downj to factors beyond his control. His ill-fated and short-lived tenure at Inter is possibly more concerning but, again, there were mitigating factors, not the least of which were issues with a board that were not prepared to back him and is the fact that despite winning the Champions League the team itself was limited and it took someone of Mourinho's prodigious abilities to get that kind of performance level out of them.

His record in England is good. He took Liverpool to their highest placed league finish and a points tally in 2008/9 that would've comfortably won the title this past season and whilst some dismiss the Champions League triumph as a fluke, which to a certain extent it was, the fact that he took the side to a second final only two years later perhaps offers greater evidence that the man seriously knows what he is doing. At Villa, he will be working for a chairman that will get out of the way and let him control the footballing side of things - and provided he is indeed willing to play a more active role in the integration of younger players than he has previously and lay the foundation for sustainable improvement and growth, I'd be very optimistic that if supplemented with sensible financial backing that he has the potential to take the club further than any of the other possible contenders.

At this point, the only alternative that I think I would prefer would be David Moyes - and I must admit that without the usual protestations from Everton that he is most definitely either not available or not interested, I am wondering if it is negotiations behind the smokescreen of media attention on Ancelotti and McLaren that have been occupying the time of the Villa heirarchy over the past week. It could be that we are yet in for a very pleasant surprise - and I think there's little doubt that Moyes is probably the one candidate that would be greeted with the nearest we are likely to get to universal approval. In contrast, Benitez will always, I feel, be a divisive personality - but then a lot of winners are. I just hope that if Mr. Lerner is going to go with him that people can see beyond their previous impressions of the man to see the possibilities of what he can bring to the club. The ongoing results of the above poll suggest people are coming round to the idea.

Great post Alec 8)

Im sure Dunnes copy book has been marked.

Wont be here next season, whomever takes over 8)

I would hope we bring in some mobile defenders who are comfortable on the ball but commanding too. Clark is already the future of our defence, we need a right footed version of him. Cannot think of any off the top of my head.

Hence somebody coming in who knows the european market well.

^^^^

This

Jesus - why do peopel still give respect to MON - what respect did he give us when he left the club 5 days before the satrt of last season?

What respect did he give Randy Lerner - who couldn't have done any more for that overrated egotistical

What respect did he give the fans with his actions when being stubborn when the fans cheered luke young and delfouneso vs Wolves when we desperately needed them on? BEcause the crowd made a sarcy clap - the clearing in the woods went against the best interests of the team and didn't put them on. What about him blaming the fans for 'booing' gabby - when we clearly didn't boo him - it was a sarcy clap at the stubborn fool for eventuallt taking him off.

MON is revered yet he achieved nothing better than DOL did in DOLs first season and put the clubs future in jeopardy by wasting millions.

Wages & Wages/ turnover % were worse than any time at Leeds - look where they are now - MON is a clearing in the woods and I wish teh love in woudl stop. #