• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

Smetrov will you ever post a reply without mentioning the ambition of Lerner. Lerner's ambition can only be questioned when the manager is appointed and at this moment no one has unless you know something different.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Stevo on Laursen. I'd love to see him back at some point, but certainly not now. We don't know what his tactical knowledge is like, what his connections and ideas are, etc. He hasn't got a coaching badge yet, either.

He was playing alongside some of our current players not so long ago; it would probably be an uncomfortable situation for both parties if Laursen were to be suddenly managing his former team-mates. I can't imagine him earning the same respect and implementing the same levels of discipline as a more experienced manager.

I reckon we might give Laursen a chance that would definitely be a shock appointment

Are you absolutely mad? No chance what so ever... Maybe as a coach, but as manager? now that is just stuipide.

Laursen said as much himself too.

Smetrov will you ever post a reply without mentioning the ambition of Lerner. Lerner's ambition can only be questioned when the manager is appointed and at this moment no one has unless you know something different.

I am sure that Smetrov was certain that we'd stick with GH despite his heart problems too, as that would show Lerner's lack of ambition.

I personally don't think it is possible to question his committment to the club based on the evidence!

Quite Right. But he appointed Houllier. And now looks set to appoint a 2nd rate manager IMO because he doesn't want the hassle of appointing a stronger manager.

I would not even consider MugClaren a 2nd rate manager more 5th rate if anything.

Ill reserve judgement till the contracts have been signed and we know for certain who AVFC's new manager is.

I just hope for the love of god that it is not MugClaren

One name not even been mentioned except by me...............Southgate?

Hasn't he just got a big job as the head of English youth development? Plus, I remember reading that he unsuccessfully applied last time. So, for both those reasons...

duncan.jpg

I'm out.

Quite Right. But he appointed Houllier. And now looks set to appoint a 2nd rate manager IMO because he doesn't want the hassle of appointing a stronger manager.

Again a blanket statement with no factual evidence. Houllier was the best manager and as Trent displayed the majority on here were behind the appointment when he was appointed so what does that say, us fans get it wrong too. I'm not going to get into an argument but i'll tell you what if you think some arab will come and splash billions on Villa, no chance it'll happen.

It has to be Benitez for me now. He has the experience of the prem and if a good manager like Roy Hodgson struggle with Liverpool after Benitez left, it just go to shows how much of a difficult job he had there with the owners. He definitely got the best out of Torres there as well as having a good defensive unit.

I know he isn't a popular choice at Villa, but I think he be a successful manager as we are a similar size to Valencia when he went and work his magic there. Better then Rijkaard, who flop when at Sparta Rotterdam who he got relegated and Gala, where he was showing relegation form when they got rid of him as well.

By all means criticise Lerner if he makes an appointment you think is not appropriate. But you know no more than any of us who Lerner is "set to appoint", so criticising him now just makes you look like you are being negative for the sake of it.

Do you really think he doesnt want to appoint a strong manager?!? What planet do you live on? Houllier was the best of a bad bunch last season. I personally think if he was healthy he would of pushed us on next season. As friedal said on talksport the other day he thought he'd seen everythin in football until last season. All the stuff happening behind the scenes was nothing to do with the manager it was players. It was always going to be a tough season with martin walking out. Randy Lerner has done nothing but good things for Aston Villa so stop slating and get behind the man. Great owner and and a board member who chats to the fans and certain fans just have to see how privileged we actually are..

As friedal said on talksport the other day he thought he'd seen everythin in football until last season. All the stuff happening behind the scenes was nothing to do with the manager it was players.

Is that what Friedel said then that it was the players??

I reckon we might give Laursen a chance that would definitely be a shock appointment

Are you absolutely mad? No chance what so ever... Maybe as a coach, but as manager? now that is just stuipide.

:D Jesus mate I never said I wanted him to be was just speculating based on people saying we will make a shock appointment.

I voted for Moyes again but would happily have Rafa/Hughes/Rijkaard/Klinnsman, definitely don't want that knob McClaren anywhere near Villa Park and just wish he would get ruled out to stop Valhalla's cringeworthy Steve posts.

As much as I like and want Randy Lerner has the owner of our club, I can't help but feel that he will come in for a lot of stick if he doesn't get a popular manager in.

Also, it won't look great if we sell either or both of Young and Downing before getting the new manager in. That would just have the doubters chomping at the bit to question Randy's intent and ambition. To be fair, I think that may even make a lot of Randy's fans change their minds too!

I just wish we could bring in a manager that would make football sit up and take notice. Someone like Van Gaal would right out of the blue. It might change the minds of a few of the players who are potentially looking elsewhere too.