Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

Why are the PL grounds still pumping the god awful music around the empty stadium pre game, half time, full time etc? 

I saw a game the other week where they still pumped out the goal celebration music (maybe wolves?) 

The same deafening loud volume too

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I've recently watched the Madalorian, and I can't stop thinking about how, if Star Wars was real, or the kind of travel that occurs in star wars was real (i.e. you could spend your life jumping from planet to planet quite easily), how **** up your perception of time would be.

They refer to one of the characters in the show being 50 years old. What does that even mean? There's no earth. So what's a year?

How **** up would your perception of time be if you were constantly travelling from planet to planet, galaxy to galaxy. Would time even be a thing?

travelling near the speed of light slows aging too.

https://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/einstein/time/time-machines

Thanks to Einstein, we know that the faster you go, the slower time passes--so a very fast spaceship is a time machine to the future. Five years on a ship traveling at 99 percent the speed of light (2.5 years out and 2.5 years back) corresponds to roughly 36 years on Earth. When the spaceship returned to Earth, the people onboard would come back 31 years in their future--but they would be only five years older than when they left. Indeed, Einstein himself could be alive today! If he could have hopped aboard a spaceship traveling at 99 percent the speed of light in 1879--the year of his birth--he would be only 17 years old upon his return to Earth today.

DWrI2JY.gif

• Like 2

On 13/02/2021 at 22:04, villa4europe said:

Why are the PL grounds still pumping the god awful music around the empty stadium pre game, half time, full time etc? 

I saw a game the other week where they still pumped out the goal celebration music (maybe wolves?) 

The same deafening loud volume too

Paranoid gets played at VP after every time we score at the moment.

At least in this case it's not god awful music.

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Why should I never buy meat from Aldi? 

american market and consumers complaining that their steaks etc wasn't up to the same quality as you can get elsewhere

to be fair they're probably correct, but at the same time are people really trying to get good steaks at aldi? aldi is what it is, serves a purpose but im selective as to what i get from there and make my expectations match - living in a German city i kind of have to use aldi, lidl and netto, the other supermarkets are relatively small and especially for meat horrendously expensive, dont get me wrong its soul destroying because its a horrible experience in their ugly boring stores and they have such a limited selection compared to UKs tesco et al but the quality is perfectly fine

22 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Paranoid gets played at VP after every time we score at the moment.

At least in this case it's not god awful music.

Rumours are some Liverpool players are still having nightmares about Ozzy Osbourne.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I've recently watched the Madalorian, and I can't stop thinking about how, if Star Wars was real, or the kind of travel that occurs in star wars was real (i.e. you could spend your life jumping from planet to planet quite easily), how **** up your perception of time would be.

They refer to one of the characters in the show being 50 years old. What does that even mean? There's no earth. So what's a year?

How **** up would your perception of time be if you were constantly travelling from planet to planet, galaxy to galaxy. Would time even be a thing?

I've not read a huge amount of sci-fi, but isn't time usually measured from the planet at the centre of the galaxy/the home of galactic government? Which captures administrative dynamics accurately, even if 'time' measured that way would presumably be a nonsense to anyone on any other planet.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I've not read a huge amount of sci-fi, but isn't time usually measured from the planet at the centre of the galaxy/the home of galactic government? Which captures administrative dynamics accurately, even if 'time' measured that way would presumably be a nonsense to anyone on any other planet.

I'm not sure to be honest. Sounds sensible. But it would still be incredibly **** up as you visited all these planets with different day lengths and year lengths etc. When would you sleep? You'd be all over the place. 1 day on the planet used to measure could be 30 days on Planet X

I know it's all sci fi so it really doesn't matter, but I've never really thought about it before. Even in real life, if we ever master space travel even within our solar system, "what time is it?" becomes an incredibly complicated question when you're not on Earth.

On 11/02/2021 at 20:27, lapal_fan said:

It's a really good question.

As someone who works in the Energy & Sustainability sector, like you say, most corps are reporting on saving hundreds or thousands or hundreds of thousands of tonnes of CO2 per year.  

I'm working on a large contract at the moment, and £40m is being spent on upgrading BMS systems, installing Solar & LEDs and it's set to save 6,000 tonnes of carbon - which is great, that's 6k worth of carbon NOT being used in fossil fuels. 

Offsetting can work in a few ways, but I'm very wary of the actual calculations of the savings - it's mostly hypothetical guesswork based on existing systems and how much more effient the upgrades are.  

Installing LEDs in a building for example should save ~30% on electricity compared to the replaced (old) fittings, it's not always the case, but it's what will get reported.

The other issue is data.  I'm doing a piece at the moment where I'm benchmarking 400 buildings against new project works.  Problem is, is the data for the benchmark year is very inconsistent. 

I'll try and find out more, but that's my 5 min take. 

I remember from way back doing my degree that I’m almost all cases, businesses that do things like replace lighting for more energy efficient systems add more of them to offset the saving.

Also, a business might use money saved on the energy bill to increase the travel budget. 

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm not sure to be honest. Sounds sensible. But it would still be incredibly **** up as you visited all these planets with different day lengths and year lengths etc. When would you sleep? You'd be all over the place. 1 day on the planet used to measure could be 30 days on Planet X

I know it's all sci fi so it really doesn't matter, but I've never really thought about it before. Even in real life, if we ever master space travel even within our solar system, "what time is it?" becomes an incredibly complicated question when you're not on Earth.

Being sad and actually looking this up, I see that my suspicion is correct, and time is measured by something called the 'Galactic Standard Calendar', which is in turn based on the 'Coruscant Solar Cycle', Coruscant being a planet in the SW universe which is presumably the centre of everything:

'Almost everything about Star Wars is based on the Galactic Standard Calendar which uses the Battle of Yavin as its epoch (year 0) . . . The Galactic Standard Calendar was the standard measurement of time in the galaxy. It centered around the Coruscant Solar cycle, which was 368 days long (one day consisting of 24 standard hours).'

(from: https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/5707/star-wars-time-measurement-and-dating-systems)

One thing that is not very clear from watching Star Wars films is whether or not most people are constantly travelling around the galaxy doing stuff on different planets, or if that is in fact a tiny number of people and most people never go anywhere. If the latter, presumably each planet would have its own local time system and most people would never need the 'Galactic Standard Time' except for, I dunno, official documents or something.

However, how it's supposed to work for characters that are constantly jetting off everywhere I have no idea. It just doesn't work really.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Being sad and actually looking this up, I see that my suspicion is correct, and time is measured by something called the 'Galactic Standard Calendar', which is in turn based on the 'Coruscant Solar Cycle', Coruscant being a planet in the SW universe which is presumably the centre of everything:

'Almost everything about Star Wars is based on the Galactic Standard Calendar which uses the Battle of Yavin as its epoch (year 0) . . . The Galactic Standard Calendar was the standard measurement of time in the galaxy. It centered around the Coruscant Solar cycle, which was 368 days long (one day consisting of 24 standard hours).'

(from: https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/5707/star-wars-time-measurement-and-dating-systems)

One thing that is not very clear from watching Star Wars films is whether or not most people are constantly travelling around the galaxy doing stuff on different planets, or if that is in fact a tiny number of people and most people never go anywhere. If the latter, presumably each planet would have its own local time system and most people would never need the 'Galactic Standard Time' except for, I dunno, official documents or something.

However, how it's supposed to work for characters that are constantly jetting off everywhere I have no idea. It just doesn't work really.

Yeah I think that's why I noticed it with the Mandolorian, because he is constantly jetting off to random planets. Almost every episode is set somewhere else. And I found myself thinking how confusing it would be to jump to all these different time zones. Not just time zones but completely different measures and perceptions of time. Imagine going from our planet being used to a 24 hour day and then the next day you're on another planet which has a day night cycle of 50 hours. You'd go mad :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I think that's why I noticed it with the Mandolorian, because he is constantly jetting off to random planets. Almost every episode is set somewhere else. And I found myself thinking how confusing it would be to jump to all these different time zones. Not just time zones but completely different measures and perceptions of time. Imagine going from our planet being used to a 24 hour day and then the next day you're on another planet which has a day night cycle of 50 hours. You'd go mad :D 

Like in Interstellar, still blows my mind that an hour on one planet could be 7 years or whatever of our ‘time’.......I’ve really tried to ‘get it’, I understand it’s based on gravity but I still can’t understand it practically speaking. I guess it’s unlikely to ever move past theory and hypothesis in our lifetime.

27 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Like in Interstellar, still blows my mind that an hour on one planet could be 7 years or whatever of our ‘time’.......I’ve really tried to ‘get it’, I understand it’s based on gravity but I still can’t understand it practically speaking. I guess it’s unlikely to ever move past theory and hypothesis in our lifetime.

Yeah it's not even that part of it I mean. That stuff IS mindblowing though.

I just meant if you assume time moves at the same speed everywhere, it would just be your references that would be messed up. A day is one rotation of the earth. But if you're on a planet that does 6 rotations in the same amount of time then everything you're used to would be messed up. How would people there act? Would they have 6 sleeps in the time we had one? Would stuff stay open all the time?

How would you even measure time?

I guess it's just the realisation that time, or how we measure it, is completely dependant on our planet. Everything we use as a reference for time is based on our earth and our parameters that we've established. As soon as you leave our planet all those references are meaningless (unless, like Hanoi suggested, everywhere is tied to the time references of one particular planet. But that would have it's own problems)

Â