Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

The 'who's online' thing at the bottom of the VT homepage - when does a member switch to offline?

I think I always have a VT tab open either on my laptop or mobile. Am I always showing as online?

When you hover over someone's profile and it says 'last visited - 30 minutes ago', did they log off or close the tab or have they just been inactive and it's time out?

27 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Every single person in that video is a knobber. 

Depends which version you've watched I guess but guitar man seemed quite reasonable but he actually wasn't on the council.

Of course they are all knobbers, they are on the Parish Council, with the exception of the Weaver Woman who is some advisor from a council watchdog organisation iirc

10 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

The 'who's online' thing at the bottom of the VT homepage - when does a member switch to offline?

I think I always have a VT tab open either on my laptop or mobile. Am I always showing as online?

When you hover over someone's profile and it says 'last visited - 30 minutes ago', did they log off or close the tab or have they just been inactive and it's time out?

I presume you disappear when the Tab shows a pause symbol but it is a bit if a tree crashes in the woods to find out

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Based on a viral video the guy has jacked his job in and was all over telly.

Christ alive. I wouldn't have jacked my job in that quickly. 

On 03/02/2021 at 10:30, lapal_fan said:

Opening lyric; "shoes on, I get up in the morn, cup of milk, let's rock and roll"

As he prances about with pastel coloured hair, in pastel coloured clothes and big white shoes.

**** YOU @Seat68

YOU BIG ASSHAT. 

You may very well be the uncoolest person I've ever had the misfortune of sharing a common interest in, with. 

I'm going to clean my ears and bumhole now after that. 

Oooo so because he’s not wearing a black t-shirt or sporting black hair, they’re not rock n roll!? Is that it?! Or maybe you’re just not a fan of necking back a glass of cold milk to get your morning rocking?!

Whatever your judgements, I think it’s clear that these chaps (I assume they’re men from the thumbnail, I haven’t opened the video) are more rock n roll than you BUSTER!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Tik tok is where it should have stayed. Based on a viral video the guy has jacked his job in and was all over telly. Then Jackie Weaver happened and he was replaced by her being in everything. Next week it will be a baby that looks like a potato. 

RiBLeVy.jpg

Are Carbon Offset schemes just a big con?

I sometimes use the Ecosia search engine that apparently donates advertising income to plant trees, the "number of trees planted" tracker whizzes over quicker than my electricity meter when the kids switch on their tech. 

Countless companies claim to offset their often gigantic carbon footprint by planting trees. 

Who is keeping track of this? Where are they all being planted? How do we believe what they claim they are doing? 

I shouldn't be able to walk more than a couple of feet without bumping into a newly planted sapling? 

Or is it worse, are they tearing down rainforest to plant palm oil trees and claiming this as a win? 

I am suspicious of the whole thing. 

Edited by sidcow

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

Will the BBC ever run a report about HS2 without referring to it as Controversial in the opening line? 

Add 'Delayed' into the mix as well. 

• Like 1

On 09/02/2021 at 13:55, sidcow said:

Are Carbon Offset schemes just a big con?

I sometimes use the Ecosia search engine that apparently donates advertising income to plant trees, the "number of trees planted" tracker whizzes over quicker than my electricity meter when the kids switch on their tech. 

Countless companies claim to offset their often gigantic carbon footprint by planting trees. 

Who is keeping track of this? Where are they all being planted? How do we believe what they claim they are doing? 

I shouldn't be able to walk more than a couple of feet without bumping into a newly planted sapling? 

Or is it worse, are they tearing down rainforest to plant palm oil trees and claiming this as a win? 

I am suspicious of the whole thing. 

It's a really good question.

As someone who works in the Energy & Sustainability sector, like you say, most corps are reporting on saving hundreds or thousands or hundreds of thousands of tonnes of CO2 per year.  

I'm working on a large contract at the moment, and £40m is being spent on upgrading BMS systems, installing Solar & LEDs and it's set to save 6,000 tonnes of carbon - which is great, that's 6k worth of carbon NOT being used in fossil fuels. 

Offsetting can work in a few ways, but I'm very wary of the actual calculations of the savings - it's mostly hypothetical guesswork based on existing systems and how much more effient the upgrades are.  

Installing LEDs in a building for example should save ~30% on electricity compared to the replaced (old) fittings, it's not always the case, but it's what will get reported.

The other issue is data.  I'm doing a piece at the moment where I'm benchmarking 400 buildings against new project works.  Problem is, is the data for the benchmark year is very inconsistent. 

I'll try and find out more, but that's my 5 min take. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

It's a really good question.

As someone who works in the Energy & Sustainability sector, like you say, most corps are reporting on saving hundreds or thousands or hundreds of thousands of tonnes of CO2 per year.  

I'm working on a large contract at the moment, and £40m is being spent on upgrading BMS systems, installing Solar & LEDs and it's set to save 6,000 tonnes of carbon - which is great, that's 6k worth of carbon NOT being used in fossil fuels. 

Offsetting can work in a few ways, but I'm very wary of the actual calculations of the savings - it's mostly hypothetical guesswork based on existing systems and how much more effient the upgrades are.  

Installing LEDs in a building for example should save ~30% on electricity compared to the replaced (old) fittings, it's not always the case, but it's what will get reported.

The other issue is data.  I'm doing a piece at the moment where I'm benchmarking 400 buildings against new project works.  Problem is, is the data for the benchmark year is very inconsistent. 

I'll try and find out more, but that's my 5 min take. 

I understand the reduction of carbon like more efficient lighting/heating and insulation. 

That's all good though I am am sure as you are suggesting there may be some, shall we say, exaggeration of the true amounts saved. 

I was really talking about the planting of trees.  I just don't trust them.

I saw the other day that British Airways was going to plant trees to go carbon neutral on all their flights within x number of years.  I just want to know where all those trees are being planted and who's checking on them. 

And again I'm sure it will be over exaggerated.  The MD of BA plants a couple of new apple trees in his orchard and that negates the 8.15 Heathrow to JFK for the next 60 years kind of thing. 

They could pay a tax to fund free home improvements. If I could replace my old double glazing for free and get no cost solar panels that would save a bucket load of carbon, I'd be happy for BA to fund that and then I would know they had actually done something instead of pretending to plant a new Amazon. 

Edited by sidcow

2 minutes ago, useless said:

What are you meant to do with marbles? Maybe just roll one and then roll another to try and hit it.

120002-a-Cats-Eye-170x170.jpg

We would draw a chalk circle on the path and all place equal numbers of marbles inside the circle.  We took it in turns to fire other marbles into the circle.  You got to keep any marbles you knocked out of the circle.  

How the school holidays would fly by. 

Â