Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

3 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Always loved the Carry On movies from an early age. Some of them stand up better than others now (Sergeant/Doctor/Up the Jungle) and we watched Carry On Screaming again just the other week. Laughed like a drain.

Plus Fenella in that red dress had a big effect on me when I was a kid 😁

Frying tonight 🤣🤣

Dan, Dan the lavatory man 🤣

• Like 2

Was in the library with my 5 year old on Saturday and in the animals book section about half of the 30 or so books were about dinosaurs. It's funny that they're basically not real and yet children know all of them and are interested in them. It's not that they're not real but they cant exist, and kids know less about real living animals. 

6 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Was in the library with my 5 year old on Saturday and in the animals book section about half of the 30 or so books were about dinosaurs. It's funny that they're basically not real and yet children know all of them and are interested in them. It's not that they're not real but they cant exist, and kids know less about real living animals. 

Wait what? Basically not real? It’s not that they’re not real? They can’t exist? Bit lost here, are you saying that dinosaurs didn’t exist?

6 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Wait what? Basically not real? It’s not that they’re not real? They can’t exist? Bit lost here, are you saying that dinosaurs didn’t exist?

No, sorry not clear. They dont exist now, but they cant again can they? What I'm saying is it's odd that a child could go to a zoo and not be able to identify a lot of the animals, but they know which of the dinosaurs are plant eaters and which are meat eaters from a young age  And like my son would rather have a book about dinosaurs than birds or sea creatures for example but will never see any. 

Objectively I don’t think the Carry On films are great, or even good a lot of the time.

But they do have a charm about them, for whatever reason I find them a curious snapshot of British culture at that time. More than other, better stuff. But I do have an interest in this 60’s/70’s style UK sitcom aesthetic.

And I do have the sense that the cast enjoyed making them, I feel like that sense presents itself in the film which I think helps. Sid James was obviously incredibly likeable presence, as is Jim Dale. Really, pretty much all the cast are.

And for what it’s worth, there is the occasional solid gag. When I first saw this, I did actually laugh out loud. For a carry on gag, I found it (relatively) subtle.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, turvontour said:

No, sorry not clear. They dont exist now, but they cant again can they? What I'm saying is it's odd that a child could go to a zoo and not be able to identify a lot of the animals, but they know which of the dinosaurs are plant eaters and which are meat eaters from a young age  And like my son would rather have a book about dinosaurs than birds or sea creatures for example but will never see any. 

All birds are dinosaurs.

• Like 1

Over the last 5 years of not posting here I've often wondered which VTer coined the phrase "War Brian off Twitter" or as it was probably displayed back then

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿WARBRIAN 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Whoever it was just know that I use that reference quite alot now IRL. Even if I have to explain it's meaning first.

Edited by VILLAMARV
spacing

19 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Over the last 5 years of not posting here I've often wondered which VTer coined the phrase "War Brian off Twitter" or as it was probably displayed back then

Whoever it was just know that I use that reference quite alot now IRL. Even if I have to explain it's meaning first.

going to say someone from the north east perhaps? @dAVe80 this you?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

Huh? Never heard of it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

going to say someone from the north east perhaps? @dAVe80 this you?

No not me. That's a phrase from a little bit further North than where I live. Although I've been spending a lot of time in Northumberland recently, and started calling dogs, dergs, and cows, coos. 

• Haha 2

Â