dudevillaisnice

Bicks, I watched the game on a stream and there were almost constant appeals for the flimsiest of perceived offences, including handball. It's odd because everybody who was at the game says they weren't there. I don't know if it's a matter of microphone positioning or the magic of TV, but whilst I can understand your frustration at people's refusal to believe the evidence of an eyewitness, it was there on the TV.

Never heard the "handball" shouts, apart from the one time where it was actually given and rightly so. But I too heard that they shouted every time something happened, and it was obvious that it was Everton fans screaming because of the situation. I got a bit annoyed. I don't like it when fans tries to affect the referee in such manners.

On the sending offs and the ref and all that, I'll save the most for the match rating thread, but I think the ref was very bad and made bad decisions in both directions. But the worst one was giving Warnock a yellow for a perfect tackle from Petrov.

I simply don't even understand this criticism of Everton fans appealing for what they as fans perceive to be fouls, we all do it, its part and parcel of being a fan and a lot of us see things through glasses tinted by the colour of our shirts in the heat of the moment and are wrong in the cold light of day, I hear Everton fans supporting their team by appealing for stuff, its what football fans do up and down the country, why do Everton fans get singled out? Yes they went a bit OTT last time but thats it.

Who are these fans that never appeal for fouls when they see them? I think its quite frankly a most bizarre criticism

I simply don't even understand this criticism of Everton fans appealing for what they as fans perceive to be fouls, we all do it, its part and parcel of being a fan and a lot of us see things through glasses tinted by the colour of our shirts in the heat of the moment and are wrong in the cold light of day, I hear Everton fans supporting their team by appealing for stuff, its what football fans do up and down the country, why do Everton fans get singled out? Yes they went a bit OTT last time but thats it.

Who are these fans that never appeal for fouls when they see them? I think its quite frankly a most bizarre criticism

It depends. In one way you're right, the audience will always react to what happens on the pitch. I do it myself. But yesterday they started to shout about the smallest things. I t went too far for my liking. It got annoying. Never had any problem with that before with the Everton fans, but this time I have to say I did.

Though, the handball thing seems to me as a TV observer being more a part of the english fans behaviour than only the evertonians.

I only watched it on a stream but it was quite clearly the Everton fans and not the Villa fans for the most part. My reasoning is that there was quite a few handball and free-kick claims made within a short period, none of them were given, so the Everton fans began to whistle and boo while we had posession of the ball.. why would Villa fans be doing that if we had posession? We wouldn't.

It wasn't a criticism of them Bicks, I always think that the job of supporters is to help the team win, whether that's by upsetting the opposition or influencing the officials and I think they did a good job with a weak ref.

I'm just interested in the impression we got from TV against the impression those that were there got.

TV can have a very odd influence on how we see games.

The ref gave a few decisions against Everton with understandably riled the Everton fans, but then he started to give all sorts of odd random decisions, the crowd can often sense a weak ref and so the Everton fans sought to influence him at every opportunity. It certainly worked with the sending off.

Everton's fans are alright as far as I'm concerned. They were pretty quiet for most of Saturday's game, I thought. But then so were we. It just wasn't a very exciting or entertaining game, until late on.

The Everton fans did appeal for some pretty dubious things to be given their way, but it worked because the ref caved in to their howls.

Before the game I'd been saying to Bicks in the pub that I didn't think the refs we'd had so far this season had been too bad, but the bloke Saturday was pretty crap, and then after random crapness, he allowed himself to give in to crowd pressure from the Everton fans. So both weak and crap it is then.

We seriously miss him big time now, especially with Pienaar out, so this is the worst possible news. Only bit of good news is Jags is nearly at full training, hopefully next week.

Everton midfielder Mikel Arteta has encountered a problem in his recovery from a serious knee injury.

The Spanish playmaker snapped a cruciate ligament during a match against Newcastle in February.

He had been making steady progress and manager David Moyes had hoped at one point to have him back in the fold by November.

However, Arteta has now suffered an infection in the knee and Moyes has confirmed it will delay his return to action.

He said: "We have had to wash out the knee. It is a setback but I cannot say for how long."

Shit. I really like Arteta and would like to see him back as soon as possible, as would all Everton fans of course.

How long is Pienaar out for AG? Good news about Jagielka at least.

Err, Pienaar is definitely out tonight and the weekend, if he responds well to treatment he could be back for United. Neville and Jagielka are both trying to get back to be on the bench for United, dunno whether that is realistic though. Osman is aiming for the same but I think he might be a little further away. Anichebe and Vaughan should be back around December, then it's just Arteta really, which I'm guessing will be around the end of Feb/March til we see him again - that's over a year since the injury for our best player :cry:

Â