dudevillaisnice

Martinez's regime is also based on strict discipline and he has already revealed he will fine players if he can prove they have not had eight hours' sleep at night, a rule he will find easier to enforce when he has overnight accommodation built at their training headquarters.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26868777

"During pre-season he had the players coming in at night for a training session and he said the best thing about it was he had a squad of players who bought into it. He explained to them why he was doing it. He said it was all game-related so they could get time to recover, 48 hours or so, by bringing them in later.

How many significant injuries have Everton had this season?

• Like 1

I've always said Martinez did a great job at Wigan and would have loved him here. I think he had the hardest job in the league to keep Wigan up with the budget they operate on. Not only that he still played great football with them instead of going to route 1 percentage football like most teams at the bottom end do.

• Like 1

If Rogers wasn't doing such a great job at Liverpool, Martinez would've been in with a shot at the Manager of the Season award.

I think Rogers has that wrapped up though.

Arsenal might also be a team who would like Martinez when Wenger leaves, seems like a good fit

Despite the fact I really like Martinez's football and was disappointed when he never became Villa manager, I never expected Everton to be doing this well this season I thought they'd be midtable maybe about where Southampton are now.

Edited by useless

We've had Kone and Gibson out since August. We've also had Oviedo out since January. Traore got injured in a warm up of his second game and won't be back til May.Alcaraz was out from pre season until December.Pienaar, Barkley, Lukaku, Jagielka, Baines, Deulofeu, Coleman and Distin have all missed a period. Some have been months others around 4-6 weeks.

The area we have been lucky is that McCarthy and Barry have both, so far *touch wood*, have been fit all season basically. They have a massive influence on how we play.

I was on the fence on him before we got Martinez, I didn't really have a clue who I wanted. He bowled me over in his first press conference and since then that feeling has only got stronger.

He is overwhelmingly positive about everything. He has given us belief and confidence, and the players it too. He is tactically brilliant a majority of the time and his substitutions are almost always spot on. Sometimes I think "what is he doing?" But time and time again he is proving me wrong. Moyes in the past sometimes focussed too much on stopping the opposition. With Martinez he focusses on Everton strengths and how our players can hurt the opposition.

Having been in his presence, he is so engaging and you can't help but be a bit in awe when he is talking, it's mad!

• Like 3

Despite the fact that I was obvioulsy wrong about Martinez when we tried to get him (I didn't think he'd be a good choice and he's clearly very good) I still stand by my opinion that he didn't actually do a great job at Wigan.

I think his style was beyond that team. And whilst it produced admirable football, he didn't perform well enough in the league to be deemed a success, imo.

BUT, that style is obviously a very good one. And now that he has a squad of the right ability and the financial clout (whilst still not huge at Everton, it's better than WIgan) and draw to sign better players he's succeeding, and I can only see them getting better.

I think Everton's biggest problem will be holding onto Roberto.

• Like 1

I remember when Martinez was a serious contender for the Villa job, but countless posters on here were saying he was an awful manager and wouldn't cut it at Villa. Seems to be doing great at Everton. Part of me wishes Martinez got the job over Lambert. Wonder how we'd look with him in charge.

We still wouldn't have Barry and he too would have had to build a squad on 40m.

Given that Martinez targetted a loan deal for Barry, then were he the Villa manager, I think that we would have him.

He may well have utilised some of the "bomb squad" as well.

You forgetting the crucial part Martinez turned us down, on top of that I highly suspect Barry earns more than our entire signings made in the summer.

Despite the fact that I was obvioulsy wrong about Martinez when we tried to get him (I didn't think he'd be a good choice and he's clearly very good) I still stand by my opinion that he didn't actually do a great job at Wigan.

I think his style was beyond that team. And whilst it produced admirable football, he didn't perform well enough in the league to be deemed a success, imo.

BUT, that style is obviously a very good one. And now that he has a squad of the right ability and the financial clout (whilst still not huge at Everton, it's better than WIgan) and draw to sign better players he's succeeding, and I can only see them getting better.

I think Everton's biggest problem will be holding onto Roberto.

Roberto Martinez is no fool and his careful consideration of the Villa job will tell you that, he held discussions with us, but he could tell that it would be better for him to stay at Wigan than join Villa which tells you a hell of a lot.

I agree.

Although it wasn't so much a comparison of Villa and Wigan. I'm sure if his choice was Villa for the next 10 years or Wigan for the next 10 years, he'd have gone with us.

It was more a comparison of Villa and a different offer that he thought he would get if he stayed at Wigan. That offer came and he was right, it was better.

Did he not also turn down Liverpool the next summer? I thought Martinez turned us down more out of loyalty to Wigan than anything negative towards ourselves and seems he did the same to Liverpool the following summer

Did he not also turn down Liverpool the next summer? I thought Martinez turned us down more out of loyalty to Wigan than anything negative towards ourselves and seems he did the same to Liverpool the following summer

That was the impression I got as well

was wrong about him myself though I still stand by my opinion he couldn't get us to play football with players we had at time. Houllier tried albeit a different style but our players were not used to the ball at their feet

Huh, there was no offer to Martinez at any point, it was a tentative enquiry at best. Martinez stayed with Wigan out of loyalty, nothing more.

"Roberto met with his chairman [Dave Whelan] earlier this week and has made the decision to honour his commitment to Wigan," read a Villa statement.

"Therefore, we have not met Roberto and we have not had the chance to discuss the vacant managerial role with him."

Edited by The_Steve

I'm sure Barcelona are eyeing Martinez as one for the future...

Could be eyeing Rodgers, he speaks Spanish.

He didn't like the deal he was being offered I believe, not financially but his role in transfers etc.

Edited by Mr_Dogg

Â