dudevillaisnice

I do agree that they wont make the step up (permanently anyway) without a rich takeover. But like I said, there as well placed as anybody

But isn't that the point? If you're an Everton fan are you happy to keep whacking the glass ceiling of 6th every year? There's a 0% chance they'll be able to get into the Champions League because if they get close the clubs in the CL will spend more and they'll poach Everton's best players. Football's broken and nobody's going to fix it.

Yes but your post implied that they would now slip down the table ("the only way is down")

I don't think they will.

And if ANYONE is going to make the step up without serious investment, nobody is more likely than Everton, imo.

Yes but your post implied that they would now slip down the table ("the only way is down")

I don't think they will.

And if ANYONE is going to make the step up without serious investment, nobody is more likely than Everton, imo.

Correct, I should have said stagnate or fall down. Either way it'll end in tears as if the stay where they are the fans will get frustrated.

As for making the step up without investment, that's simply not possible. You buy your place in the league.

Edited by villa89

Disagree Villa89, we are more than happy to have a forward thinking manager build up a young team that can compete without having to spend silly money, the days of City style takeovers are most likely over with FFP coming in (used to keep the status quo) so we know the limitations but Im very happy to be challenging for 4th and having a manager who wants to play attractive football and aim for the top rather than Moyes and his negative antics. Although like most evertonians a trophy is the main aim give me the FA Cup over 4th anyday old fashion I know!

Howard

Coleman Jagielka  Distin Baines

Barry     McCarthy

Mirallas      Barkley         Atsu

Lukaku

the main thing is he's building a young spine to the team:

ST: Lukaku 21

CAM: Barkley 20

LW: Atsu 22       (on loan but rumoured to include option to buy)

CDM: McCarthy 23

CDM: Besic 21

CB: Stones: 20

RB: Coleman: 25

LB: Oviedo: 23

its why evertonians are delighted right now we are trying to build a young spine to the team that can gel together down the years and have ambition its central to what Martinez is trying to achieve.

Edited by EverBlue86

They have a lot higher chance of making champs league than we ever did. They have done it before and could nick 4th again. I'd agree that above that it is very unlikely.

Getting 4th when they did and doing it now is a whole different monster. The year they finished 4th, they picked up 61 points, 11 less than they did last season. 61 points would only have been enough for 8th this time around. The top end is a lot stronger than it used to be. Last season was by far Everton's best PL season and they were still 10 points off getting th

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Samuel Eto'o will give Everton an unpredictable "fear factor" according to manager Roberto Martinez.

The 33-year-old Cameroon striker, who was a free agent after being released by Chelsea, has signed a two-year contract with Everton.

Martinez could hand Eto'o his debut against his former club on Saturday.

"When you see him on the team sheet you know the unpredictable play he has. Now we can enjoy the talent and that fear factor from Samuel," Martinez said.

No he doesn't.

• 4 weeks later...

Before firming up their interest in Barkley during the summer, City did detailed background checks on the England international and were encouraged by the results. The club’s information showed Barkley is intent on a successful career and has a winning mentality.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/22/manchester-city-ross-barkley-homegrown-everton 

What are these background checks?

How do they know he's intent on a successful career and has a winning mentality if they didn't talk to him (which presumably they did not do without tapping up because they only later asked Everton about him)?

This paragraph is very football manageresque.

Talking to his former youth coaches?

Surely any player who gets beyond youth football and reaches the first team of a Premier League side must have been dedicated and had a desire to succeed at youth level.

I wonder if they did checks on his A-Level results to see whether he had brains smarts and would be able to read complex formation diagrams and tactics sheets.

Braininess is not something we associate with a footballer but it would probably help to have some brains to play at the big clubs that have to win every game and play European football.

The players need to understand and memorize these complex systems they use and have the discipline to play them and then to be able to change systems on demand, within games and between games.

Altogether very creepy to have some organization checking up on you like that making evaluations about you and predictions what you're going to do over the next decade...

Ring ring

"Hi there, is that Ross Barkley?"

"Yes mate, who's calling"

"Just a crappy PPI company sir, can we ask you a few meaningless questions?"

"Ok"

"have you ever been mis-sold PPI?"

"Don't think so"

"Are you intent on a successful career and do you have a winning mentality?"

"Yes"

"Thanks, have a nice day"

Easy innit?

• Like 3

Before firming up their interest in Barkley during the summer, City did detailed background checks on the England international and were encouraged by the results. The club’s information showed Barkley is intent on a successful career and has a winning mentality.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/22/manchester-city-ross-barkley-homegrown-everton 

What are these background checks?

How do they know he's intent on a successful career and has a winning mentality if they didn't talk to him (which presumably they did not do without tapping up because they only later asked Everton about him)?

This paragraph is very football manageresque.

Its fairly obvious surely?

They would speak to anyone they could who could give them a handle on the guys character and motivation, his background, his family life, what he gets up to away from the pitch and the training ground. This is fairly common and basic stuff that most clubs do before signing a player, its not something unique to City or that should come as a surprise to any fan.

They can talk to agents, team mates, former team mates, coaches, former coaches, their own players that have played with him on international duty not to mention Gareth Barry who was his team mate last season but their employee and who would have returned to them this summer before completing his move to Everton.

• Like 1

Of course he's intent on having a successful career and has a winning mentality, he's a professional footballer playing at the very highest level. What a load of twaddle.

If it's just a case of comparing him to his peers, I could tell you that just my watching him play the game half a dozen times. Still, when you've got more money than sense...

Â