dudevillaisnice

Everton probably won't be as good as they were last season but that'll be as much to do with them learning their new manager's system as it will be to do with squad changes. But they're so far ahead of the chasing pack that it'll still take a mighty effort for anyone to catch them.

I can see Everton slipping down to about 10th - 12th.

Martinez will have roughly the same amount of $$$ as he had at Wigan and all the time he was there his teams regulary let in a hatful of goals.He does not know how to buy defenders.

You're right, but he just inherited a good defence so; like when Wenger first joined Arsenal; his obvious flaw will be covered up for a while at least. Baines notwithstanding.

Everton probably won't be as good as they were last season but that'll be as much to do with them learning their new manager's system as it will be to do with squad changes. But they're so far ahead of the chasing pack that it'll still take a mighty effort for anyone to catch them.

How far ahead?

They'll lose Fellaini, chances are they'll lose Baines. 11 years of Moyes over...

I don't think that gap you speak of is big enough.

I hope you're right. I just don't see Everton finishing below 7th. There isn't exactly much in the chasing pack that's making a bee-line for them.

You could well be right. Though at the same time I'd be surprised to see 49 points being good enough for 8th this season and a 10 point drop for Everton is not beyond the realms of possibility.

They won't be in a relegation battle, of that I'm confident. Though who thought this would happen to us post O'Neill?

I'd say that given the resources he had at Everton, Moyes has been the best overall manager in the Premier League for the last several years.

It is hard to argue.

Mid

Not to mention that Fellaini was his biggest buy at 15 million, that has been his only big buy.

Didnt he spend £9m on Andy Johnson , £11m on Yakubu & £10m on billythingov ... £7m on Heitinga .... Most of their transfers seem to go through as undisclosed so its not easy to know but I'm not sure I totally buy the myth he didnt spend money

• 2 months later...

Haha funny in work today as news of Manure's derisory bid for Baines and Fellani filtered through.

They know its just the opening gambit, they know they'll be off.

they also know Kenwright won't spend anywhere near all the money

The manager they'e adored for years is suddenly the devil incarnate.

As a spectator event its very amusing. They started out the day laughing at delusional Liverpool fans and by lunchtime were creating mad delusions all of their own. :mrgreen:

Yeah, I'm sure Moyes would have expressed his desire to sign those two several weeks ago, at least.

Everton will be half crippled by this...and it'll make things even more wide open for a Europa League spot, which I'm convinced is within our grasp this season.

Yeah, I'm sure Moyes would have expressed his desire to sign those two several months ago, at least.

Everton will be half crippled by this...and it'll make things even more wide open for a Europa League spot, which I'm convinced is within our grasp this season.

minor correction from a pedant

Saw somewhere earlier (I forget where), that if (when) those two leave they will be after McCarthy from Wigan... He may be a decent player but surely Martinez must realise that there are other clubs out there and that all these players were the same ones that relegated Wigan last yr?

Man. United bid for Baines in July.

Although anyone is most welcome to explain the logic of bidding the same amount for him 6 weeks later.

Everton are skint

Yes but Everton rejected the first bid in July so I don't understand why Man. United are just coming back with the same bid again.

To unsettle the players and make Everton squirm. Everton aren't Spurs or Liverpool, they can't afford to turn down good money.

They'll haggle until Martinez has his targets lined up but they will go to Manure and Everton will be significantly weakened.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

• 1 month later...

WOW. I was mightily impressed by them last night. wasnt sure on Martinez but that 1st half was best team performance of season so far. their blend of youth and experience at the back was very good.

also have probably the best 2 attacking full backs in the league

Newcastle were an embarrassment in the first half though. Everton didn't really need to play that well to be 3 up.

However, I've been far more impressed with Everton in other games this season other than the one last night. They're looking great. I thought they'd start terribly, and I couldn't have been more wrong. 

that was 1st game i really watched as missed most of chelsea game. Martinez seems to have built on Moyes solid defence and left them alone while in comparison few seasons ago Houllier tried get our defence changed too quickly and pass out.

anyway for me they could be dark horse if this is an open title race

maybe but they are already out of 1 cup so no distractions on that part. If some people consider Liverpool contenders(dont laugh) then why not Everton. 

granted i dont think they will win it but wouldnt be surprised if still involved until around March or April granted injuries adn suspensions need to be kind

Edited by Zatman

Â