dudevillaisnice

He plays a more attractive style than Moyes and won the FA Cup with Wigan when Moyes couldn't manage to win anything in ten years of trying with Everton.

He also layed the foundation for Swansea's current success and he comes across as well spoken and intelligent, there is a lot to admire about Martinez.

I had him as my first choice to replace both Houllier and McLeash here at Villa.

Edited by LondonLax
  • Like 2

He also layed the foundation for Swansea's current success and he comes across as well spoken and intelligent, there is a lot to admire about Martinez.

I actually thought it was Paulo Souza who started it all at Swansea.

I was one who thought that he would struggle at Everton and boy is he making me eat my words t the moment. Still be interesting to see if he can build a new defence as that has always been his downfall, a bit like we get who couldn't replace the Adams defence

He plays a more attractive style than Moyes and won the FA Cup with Wigan when Moyes couldn't manage to win anything in ten years of trying with Everton.

I had him as my first choice to replace both Houllier and McLeash here at Villa.

The whole "won something" thing is far overblown. Would you rather be consistently top 10 or win a cup and get relegated.

• Like 1

I had him as my first choice to replace both Houllier and McLeash here at Villa.

The whole "won something" thing is far overblown. Would you rather be consistently top 10 or win a cup and get relegated.

To be honest, I think I would rather win something and be relegated.

What is actually the point of following a team if not to see them lifting some silverware at some point? Making up the numbers like we do or Everton did under Moyes is a pointless existence.

To be honest, I think I would rather win something and be relegated.

What is actually the point of following a team if not to see them lifting some silverware at some point? Making up the numbers like we do or Everton did under Moyes is a pointless existence.

I always thought it was about experiences, memorable matches, etc. obviously winning stuff is nice, but if it's a cup like that it's a fleeting feeling and id rather consistently good league campaigns.

I remember when Martinez was a serious contender for the Villa job, but countless posters on here were saying he was an awful manager and wouldn't cut it at Villa. Seems to be doing great at Everton. Part of me wishes Martinez got the job over Lambert. Wonder how we'd look with him in charge. 

• Like 1

I remember when Martinez was a serious contender for the Villa job, but countless posters on here were saying he was an awful manager and wouldn't cut it at Villa. Seems to be doing great at Everton. Part of me wishes Martinez got the job over Lambert. Wonder how we'd look with him in charge.

We still wouldn't have Barry and he too would have had to build a squad on 40m.

• Like 2

Given that Martinez targetted a loan deal for Barry, then were he the Villa manager, I think that we would have him.

He may well have utilised some of the "bomb squad" as well.

Given that Martinez targetted a loan deal for Barry, then were he the Villa manager, I think that we would have him.

Yeah good luck with that, the higher earners who have to go.

He might have wanted to loan Barry and use some of the bomb squad but the owner hired Lambert on the condition he would bring down the wage bill so it's a non starter. Martinez would have had the same restrictions.

He might have wanted to loan Barry and use some of the bomb squad but the owner hired Lambert on the condition he would bring down the wage bill so it's a non starter. Martinez would have had the same restrictions.

Yip.

dont think Martinez would have thrived here considering Houllier tried get same players to pass the ball and it was not something they were ever used to. At Everton he has inherited Coleman, Baines, Distin and Jagielka who are all comfortable on the ball. He came to Villa he would have had Hutton, Warnock, Collins and Cuellar who cant make a pass between them

If Villa hired Martinez he would've had the club play "entertaining" football that looked nice and looked good to other clubs that could potentially hire him but would've relegated villa.

Like the other club he was at in a similar financial situation, Wigan.

There were still players at the club who would've flourished, I doubt Makoun who showed quality in flashes would've been bombed out so quickly and he would've tried to fit Ireland in tactically better I think. And he'd have known how to get more out of N'zogbia than he's generally shown.

Plus who knows the players he'd have targeted. Given the low budget we operate in, I'd imagine he'd have looked at a few more la liga loans which given how well Delferoau has done so far wouldn't have been the worst idea.

I'm still behind Lambert but not getting Martinez to continue the Houllier philosophy in 2011 was a missed opportunity particularly who we of course ended up appointing. 

Â