dudevillaisnice

We were in for him but didn't land him when he went to Everton if I remember correctly. 

Could have been a useful experienced head at the back all this time if it had worked out.

yup, we got dunne instead.

We were in for him but didn't land him when he went to Everton if I remember correctly. 

Could have been a useful experienced head at the back all this time if it had worked out.

yup, we got dunne instead.

You're right there, up like a kipper.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

3 good signings and a good couple of days for them but they are only 1 player up from what they had last season...

Don't get me wrong I'd trade what we have in an instant but I see another year of sky loving them and trying to convince people they are contenders before they inevitably fall short

but they are only 1 player up from what they had last season...

This is really the important point. They just spent £28m to stand still. It's not like they are adding to what they had last season, they are just treading water.

Or you could argue that they had just deferred the payment of Lukaku by a year.  It's not that different to the circumstances in which we signed James Milner. 

I love the way our fans are looking for negatives in Everton splashing 28M on a striker and moving way out of our league again,  this is Everton who had no money by the way.  Standing still? Thats more than we are doing right now

Lukaku is an interesting player. As said above mind he is incredibly frustrating.

I don't think he's lazy as such, but I think his all around game leaves a lot to be desired. He's powerful, can finish, but he doesn't really harness that ability anywhere near enough. He's definitely not good enough for Chelsea right now, he's certainly not as good as Benteke even though he is, perhaps, a more consistent finisher.

He's just generally deficient and for £28m is want more. There is a reason, no offence to them, that he is going to Everton. But then if he bangs in 17/18 premier league goals this season as I think he might then they will consider it money well spent.

This is very good news for us of course.

I think £28m in modern day is correct money for Lukaku. He's not finished article but he's a threat to most teams and still has potential to improve and deliver over a number of years.

Bigger thing for Everton is that they actually managed to sign somebody at that price. Great news for them that they had the money but even better that they managed to attract him permanently as he'll have had plenty of offers.

I love the way our fans are looking for negatives in Everton splashing 28M on a striker and moving way out of our league again,  this is Everton who had no money by the way.  Standing still? Thats more than we are doing right now

To be fair I don't think anyone is comparing Everton with the Villa, but as a neutral thinking it isn't particularly good value for money. With my Villa specs on I'd love us to be spending £28m but if it was on Lukaku I'd be a bit pissed off.

It does highlight just how awful the 'investment' in AVFC playing staff currently is. A team in the Europa League spending £28m on 1 player.

Where they hell is all the 'bumper' TV money going?

For a player Chelsea ( well Jose) clearly didn't want they may have paid around £10m too much and £28m seems to have rather limited the profit Everton make on him when they sell him to one of the big boys next season

still no doubt the media will still go on about what a great job Everton do without spending any money 

they are in the same boat as Spurs in that realistically they are fighting for 6th place  , champions league is a pipe dream ... clearly Fellani financed a lot of last years spend * , but i wonder if they well mirror us in a few years time in that the dream is over and now its time to balance the books

* I thought read somewhere that Barry and Lukaku cost Everton £10m in wages and loan fees last year , yet along the fees they spent on players

Everton sold Fellaini for 27m last year and replaced him with McCarthy for 13m, so there's half of the 28m

We also sold Jelavic and Anichebe for a combined 11,5m replacing them(?) with Kone and a loan player.

I think we have traded up, but it's basically trading fees/salaries - not additions to the total number.

In the last 5 years since July 1st 2009 EFC has a net spend of a staggering 5m - or 1m per year. This is including the Lukaku deal at 28m, but not loan fees.

In my humble opinion Villa is much better positioned to compete at the top of the PL, and EFC has not been well run - we have been lucky to have prudent managers who have been able to keep us at  5-7th without investment. 

Edited by AndyGray1985
  • Like 1

Â