dudevillaisnice

dont think Martinez would have thrived here considering Houllier tried get same players to pass the ball and it was not something they were ever used to. At Everton he has inherited Coleman, Baines, Distin and Jagielka who are all comfortable on the ball. He came to Villa he would have had Hutton, Warnock, Collins and Cuellar who cant make a pass between them

When Houllier took over we had all the players you mentioned aside from Hutton. You have though failed to mention we also had Ash Young, Downing, Petrov, Carew, Sidwell, Ireland, Gabby, Luke Young, Dunne and emerging players in Albrighton and Clark. All players more than capable of playing a passing game. With in 3 months of Houllier taking over we were also able to splash around 30 mill on two new signings and able to bring in and pay the wages of Bent, Makoun, Pires, Walker and Bradley.

Every time I've watched this oviedo (sp) boy I've been really impressed, could this boys form convince Everton to accept a big bid for baines?

• 1 month later...

They were with Umbro not very long ago. Then went to Le Coq Sportif (I think) and recently to Nike.

I would guess Nike were a major force behind the badge change, and seeing as how that went down so badly with the fans, maybe they weren't keen on keeping the deal?

Or maybe because Everton are changing the badge back/again next season maybe Nike pulled out?

Watching the highlights from our game on the Everton website - (Delph's tackle) "That should have been a free kick" WTF!  :twisted:  All the mighty Everton do is fall over and pass the ball sideways.  Did anyone see the game on Saturday? They kept zooming into Bill Kenwright when we were attacking. I hate the Everton wankfest.

Club announce new five-year deal with the iconic football brand.

efc__1391530293_Roberto_Martinez_Umbro_1

Everton manager Roberto Martinez has helped the Club launch a new technical partnership with iconic football brand Umbro.

The Blues’ boss took part in an exclusive question and answer session at Umbro’s UK headquarters with a select group of Everton fans as the new five-year partnership was announced.

It means the Blues will wear the famous double diamond brand from the start of next season, with Umbro producing all on-pitch and training product for the men’s, women’s and academy teams.

The Everton manager said: “Everyone at the Club is not only delighted, but excited, to be back wearing the Umbro diamond next season.

“I have been involved in a number of discussions with Umbro over the past few months in preparation for next season and their approach to quality, design and the technical aspects of the product is unique and I have no doubt it will help us to perform to our full potential on the pitch.”

He added: “It was a great experience giving a number of our fans an exclusive opportunity to meet Umbro, to take them through the design process of the 2014/15 kit and, most importantly, be able to give them this news first.”

Everton and Umbro share a long and successful history together with the Club having worn the diamond brand in the 1970s, 80s, 90s and 00’s.

The deal, which will also see Umbro sponsor some of the Club’s grassroots programmes, officially starts on June 1, 2014.

efc__1391530982_Roberto_Martinez_Umbro_2

The new home kit will also be on sale in July this year with Evertonians guaranteed sizes in all ranges and available for men, women, juniors, infants and babies.

Robert Elstone, Chief Executive Officer of Everton, said: “The Club is delighted to be entering into this new and exciting partnership and looks forward to working alongside the Umbro team over the next five years.

“Umbro has an unrivalled football heritage and is committed to maintaining its reputation for design excellence and innovation.  Of course, we're starting from a good place. Based on many years of working together, Umbro enjoys a great affinity with Evertonians.

“Starting in 2014/15, supporters can expect bespoke kit designs and great-looking, technically advanced training wear. It was also really important that we could guarantee fans across all ages could show their colours with pride and, as Umbro’s flagship club, all Evertonians can look forward to enjoying quality product over the term of the deal.”

Paul Nugent, VP of Global Marketing for Umbro, commented: “Everton is a club with the right character, personality and tradition so it’s the perfect partner for Umbro. The prospect of working with a club that is as ambitious as we are is hugely exciting. 

“Umbro celebrates its 90th birthday this year and, quite simply, no other brand shares our experience of making football kits. We appreciate the importance of kits to both players and fans. We are meticulous about creating both technical and stylish product for players to perform to their best in, and that fans are proud to wear.

“Everton fans can expect smart, modern and importantly, unique kits next season.”

• 2 months later...

Really surprised how well they have done this yr. I'll hold my hands up and say I was wrong about Martinez. Thought he was just a flash in the pan one trick pony but he has really raised the performances whilst keeping the defence tight and blooding youngsters

Yeah he has done better then I thought he would too. I had Everton down to finish about 7th. I certainly thought they would be behind Spurs, but they are now 7 points ahead of them.

• Like 1

I must admit that I wasn't sure about Martinez before the season started. I thought he might build something respectable at Everton but I did expect an initial dip in his first couple of seasons. Obviously I couldn't have been more wrong. Good luck to them, I've always liked Everton as a club.

The job Martinez has done is really impressive this season, even if they still may not get top 4.

Still, I can't help but think a large reason the merseyside sides are finishing so strong is that their competition has played so many extra games from being in Europe, while everton and Liverpool are a lot fresher.

Must admit I chuckled when in the opening press conference Bill Kenwright announced that Martinez would get them in the top 4.

He's a good manager but I didn't expect him to do this well this soon.

They have a real chance of 4th. They have momentum and goals in them, Arsenal look done for the season.

Yes they are in with a good chance but if Everton do make top 4 its it is kind of ironic that it could well mean their neighbours will win the league. 

Edited by PaulC

fantastic club who I have huge respect for. very much like us in ways but doing a lot better obviously. id say if you could have a second team that you like everton is mine.

Agree. I've always contemplated who I would support if Villa were liquidated tomorrow and it would probably be them.

Edited by Isa

Â