dudevillaisnice

I love the way our fans are looking for negatives in Everton splashing 28M on a striker and moving way out of our league again,  this is Everton who had no money by the way.  Standing still? Thats more than we are doing right now

Everton sold Fellaini for 27m last year and replaced him with McCarthy for 13m, so there's half of the 28m

We also sold Jelavic and Anichebe for a combined 11,5m replacing them(?) with Kone and a loan player.

I think we have traded up, but it's basically trading fees/salaries - not additions to the total number.

In the last 5 years since July 1st 2009 EFC has a net spend of a staggering 5m - or 1m per year. This is including the Lukaku deal at 28m, but not loan fees.

In my humble opinion Villa is much better positioned to compete at the top of the PL, and EFC has not been well run - we have been lucky to have prudent managers who have been able to keep us at  5-7th without investment. 

tbf that's because you've always managed to find someone to fleece though isn't it :)

£22m Lescott

£10m Arteta

£27m Fellani !!

and even the £15myou paid for Fellani was offset by somehow getting £10m for Andy Johnson  :)

you may not think your club is well run , but someone is playing a blinder with those fees  ...

Our net spend has been heavily biased by 2 seasons of being so pants  and not having any players we could sell and thus just giving them away  but even that could (probably will) be balanced by selling Benteke for big money at some point in the near future

£28mil might be too much but then again we paid £20 mil or so for Bent.

He did keep us up though, he paid for himself that year. In hindsight, financially speaking we should have sold him on at the end of that season.

I love the way our fans are looking for negatives in Everton splashing 28M on a striker and moving way out of our league again,  this is Everton who had no money by the way.  Standing still? Thats more than we are doing right now

Everton sold Fellaini for 27m last year and replaced him with McCarthy for 13m, so there's half of the 28m

We also sold Jelavic and Anichebe for a combined 11,5m replacing them(?) with Kone and a loan player.

I think we have traded up, but it's basically trading fees/salaries - not additions to the total number.

In the last 5 years since July 1st 2009 EFC has a net spend of a staggering 5m - or 1m per year. This is including the Lukaku deal at 28m, but not loan fees.

In my humble opinion Villa is much better positioned to compete at the top of the PL, and EFC has not been well run - we have been lucky to have prudent managers who have been able to keep us at  5-7th without investment.

. Because of course you spent nothing else of the money you received for Fellaini etc did you?

. Because of course you spent nothing else of the money you received for Fellaini etc did you?

Our net spend for the last 5 years is 5m - and for the last 10 years it's 40m.

Those 40m came from either loans or sales of assets - EFC sold off the training complex (Bellefield) and are only tennants at Finch Farm.

Am I missing your point?

Everton are just a much better ran club than us.They have an owner who knows what he's doing. 

I know a lot of Everton fans want Kenwright out but what I'd say is sometimes it's better the devil you know. At least Everton is his priority and he will do what's best for the club. Our Randolph Lerner may have more money but is completely not interested and unwilling. 

Everton are just a much better ran club than us.They have an owner who knows what he's doing. 

I know a lot of Everton fans want Kenwright out but what I'd say is sometimes it's better the devil you know. At least Everton is his priority and he will do what's best for the club. Our Randolph Lerner may have more money but is completely not interested and unwilling.

I think the key difference was Moyes vs O'Neill tbh, not the chairmen/owners. Moyes spent his money, sold for profit, reinvested. Our manager spent a shitload mainly on dross and then threw his toys out the pram when we had to sell a player. I'd imagine Everton could have struggled if Moyes quit when they sold Rooney or Lescott etc, instead he just saw it as part of football management and tested himself in trying to improve the team anyway.

• Like 4

But then as the chairman has to sanction the managers spending (or at least appoint a decent chief exec who will) it does ultimately come to Lerner vs Kenwright.  Martin O'Neill only spent what he was allowed to by the board. 

• Like 2

Yes good times but they'll never break into the top 4. 

Not this season. But they're as well placed as anyone to make the leap soon. Although a bit more cash would obviously help.

Not surprising really. Good times at that club right now.

I hope they enjoy it as this is as good as it's going to get for them. We had a similar taste when MON was at Villa. Everton have peaked and now the only way is down for them. 6th in the league and a run in the terrible Europa league/cup/crap is their title. They don't have the money to compete with the CL clubs and will never have the money unless they get taken over.   

Not surprising really. Good times at that club right now.

I hope they enjoy it as this is as good as it's going to get for them. We had a similar taste when MON was at Villa. Everton have peaked and now the only way is down for them. 6th in the league and a run in the terrible Europa league/cup/crap is their title. They don't have the money to compete with the CL clubs and will never have the money unless they get taken over.   

Yet they've been there before, had a bit of a dip and are now back there.

The main difference between us and them is that they are well run.

They are there without having a crippling wage bill which means they'll be more sustainable (clearly, as they've been about top 6 for years now)

Just because we capitulated doesn't mean everybody does.

I do agree that they wont make the step up (permanently anyway) without a rich takeover. But like I said, there as well placed as anybody

I do agree that they wont make the step up (permanently anyway) without a rich takeover. But like I said, there as well placed as anybody

But isn't that the point? If you're an Everton fan are you happy to keep whacking the glass ceiling of 6th every year? There's a 0% chance they'll be able to get into the Champions League because if they get close the clubs in the CL will spend more and they'll poach Everton's best players. Football's broken and nobody's going to fix it.

But isn't that the point? If you're an Everton fan are you happy to keep whacking the glass ceiling of 6th every year? There's a 0% chance they'll be able to get into the Champions League because if they get close the clubs in the CL will spend more and they'll poach Everton's best players. Football's broken and nobody's going to fix it.

They have a lot higher chance of making champs league than we ever did. They have done it before and could nick 4th again. I'd agree that above that it is very unlikely.

Â