Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

I was so excited when he signed and I loved him for the rest of that season under Houllier (and the mcleish season). I still love his song and wish he was banging them in for us but I think his performance as sub against Southampton at home this season tells you all you need to know about him at Villa these days.

12 goals in 15.

It's not bad really

He's doing very well down there.

I'm genuinely happy for him and hope he signs for a Championship team next season so he can keep it up.

Be a shame for him to be sat on a premier league team's bench instead of scoring goals

12 goals in 15.

It's not bad really

I'm genuinely happy for him and hope he signs for a Championship team next season so he can keep it up.

Be a shame for him to be sat on a premier league team's bench instead of scoring goals

I wonder if we will keep him on next season?

12 goals in 15.

It's not bad really

I doubt it.

I dont think anybody doubts he can do it in The Championship but the Premier League is a whole different ball game. Daryl Murphy is banging them in that league but he wouldnt hit 10 goals in Premier League either

12 goals in 15.

It's not bad really

I doubt it.

I wouldn't be suprised if we did with a wage reduction

I would.

Putting aside the opinion that he can't do it at this level anymore, I don't think Bent would even want to stay if we asked him to.

And I don't see any reasons why we would want to keep him. Especially now that we have Sherwood, considering his Spurs experience.

My bet is he'll be at Derby next season, regardless of the league they're in.

I've abandoned my initial logic. You're continued mocking of it is pointless because I left it behind several posts ago.

As for the bold, I've done that. I've now moved on to YOUR logic. The logic that YOU suggested. You specifically asked me to use that logic.

And it STILL proves Bent is not very good. 

If Bent is regarded as not very good based on a spell of 1239 minutes scoring 3 goals for Fulham then Benteke's haul of 2 goals in over 1500 minutes from the start of this season would make him even worse.

To prove you don't have a hidden agenda, and to be consistent, I presume you'll be on the Benteke thread to tell us how crap he is ;)

I've abandoned my initial logic. You're continued mocking of it is pointless because I left it behind several posts ago.

As for the bold, I've done that. I've now moved on to YOUR logic. The logic that YOU suggested. You specifically asked me to use that logic.

If Bent is regarded as not very good based on a spell of 1239 minutes scoring 3 goals for Fulham then Benteke's haul of 2 goals in over 1500 minutes from the start of this season would make him even worse.

To prove you don't have a hidden agenda, and to be consistent, I presume you'll be on the Benteke thread to tell us how crap he is ;)

Bent is both literally and figuratively half the player Benteke is, as you well know.

Also, this isn't Steven's reasoning, it's yours. He doesn't need to worry about agendas or consistency because he's playing by your own rules. Rules you seem to be making up on the fly, and somehow you're still managing to lose the argument. Is this going to be the new Bannan thread?

Edited by B94villa
  • Like 3

The difference is, Benteke is about 7 years younger and obviously offers much more to the team than Bent. Benteke has more than goals to his game, Bent doesn't.

For me, Bent over the last few seasons can be summed up by our home game v Norwich in Lambert's first season. Winning 1-0 and Bennett gets sent off just before HT (I think). Second half we are under a lot of pressure but we are dealing with it comfortably, whenever we win the ball back, it's played to Benteke who holds the ball up a bit and we counter. Then with roughly 30 minutes to go, Benteke comes off for Bent. Suddenly whenever we clear the ball, it goes up to the Norwich defence and they attack again. We were under constant pressure for the last 30 minutes because we had no outlet. Bent was constantly losing/not winning the ball. At one point I remember that Bent evidently got bored and started standing on the edge of our own box.. We ended up conceding and drawing.

When Bent doesn't score, he's a passenger, and relegation battlers can't afford to have passengers. Bent hasn't been scoring enough the last few seasons to justify keeping him, and doing well in the Championship is no reason to ignore that. When Benteke doesn't score, he is still a handful for defenders and can create chances, so trying to justify Bent's terrible record by comparing to Benteke is absurd, especially when Benteke was coming back from injury (and now has 8 goals in the last 6 games).

• Like 1

Yes. Benteke was crap at the start of this season. Its hardly a revelation that our strikers weren't scoring enough goals is it?!

I and many others have said that in his thread several times.

The difference is, either side of that spell, Benteke has been awesome. Incredible even. AT THIS LEVEL.

Bent has not been good enough at this level for several years.

Edited by Stevo985

Agenda? You're the one doing the most with the mental gymnastics and constantly changing the parameters of the debate so it can support your flimsy argument.

• Like 1

Â