Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

A mixture of reasons. 

Firstly Fulham played one striker up front for a decent portion of the season and quite often went with Berbatov - no shame in being second fiddle to him.

Secondly injuries.

Thirdly he wasn't in the best of form.

Fourthly Felix Magath came in and lost the plot and dropped a number of players.

Regardless, despite being not in great form, in and out of the team for a struggling side he still proved he CAN score at premier league level. Whether he can do it regularly or whether it should be with us (probably not now) or for another team is a separate debate.

Edited by Brumstopdogs
  • Like 1

Bent played for 1239 minutes for a struggling Fulham side - the equivalent of less than 14 full games.

In less than the equivalent of 14 full games he scored 3 times and set up 2 goals.

I do not get the logic how that then means he is not able to put the ball in the net at this level anymore. 

You've answered your own question.

He only managed that many minutes for the worst team in the league.

You can try and dress it up as 14 games if you want, but it was 23 appearances. 3 goals.

Even 3 goals in 14 games isn't a very good record.

I don't see how that proves he is any good.

Regardless, despite being not in great form, in and out of the team for a struggling side he still proved he CAN score at premier league level. Whether he can do it regularly or whether it should be with us (probably not now) or for another team is a separate debate.

wait what...so he can score at premier league level but you also say if he can do it regularly is a totally different debate? Isnt this a contradiction? it seems like its the exact debate....

Edited by gharperr

jonathan walters has 7 in 25 this season for comparison to Bent record at Fulham

imagine the uproar if we signed him for example

The same Jonathan Walters who starts every week for a top half side? It wouldn't be that bad, hardly the most exciting signing in the world but as a squad option it would do fine. If Bent wanted to sign on a reasonable contract and wouldn't mind being a squad option then that would also be fine, however i'm not sure it's likely. 

But... Bent is absolutely terrible. An pox on any top level team sheet he infects with his name. A former footballer, made up for life with massive signing on fees and wages. To put him on his final contract would be absolute lunacy.

And every single manager in the premier league knows it.

• Like 1

3 goals and 2 assists in less than the equivalent of 14 games does not suggest to me that he cannot score in the premier league anymore.

Quite the opposite. If you had said there is a doubt whether he could score regularly in the premier league now then your statement would have made sense.

3 goals and 2 assists in less than the equivalent of 14 games does not suggest to me that he cannot score in the premier league anymore.

Quite the opposite. If you had said there is a doubt whether he could score regularly in the premier league now then your statement would have made sense.

Why doesn't anyone want him?

Who is to say nobody wants him.  Maybe he thought he would get a better chance of playing regular football dropping down a league. Maybe because his form wasn't great last season he had to prove himself again before a premier league side would be prepared to gamble on him.

Still doesn't mean he can't score in the premier league - he has every season he has played in that league.

For goodness sake. If you're taking "he can't put the ball in the net" in it's most literal sense then fair enough. But OBVIOUSLY I meant regularly. An old lady could "put the ball in the net" once. 

Obviously we're talking about regularly, i.e. would we want him in the team.

3 goals in 14 games isn't a very good record. Especially when you've massaged the stats to make it look like it's 3 goals in 14 games, when in reality it's 3 goals in 23.

• Like 1

OK so you've changed your tune and now it is regularly - before it was he couldn't score in the premier league any more. Clearly not the same things.

I agree there is a doubt whether he could score regularly but I guess it depends on what would be classed as a regular return of goals.

3 goals and 2 assists in less than the equivalent of 14 matches for a struggling side - not his best season. Certainly not up there with when he scored 24 league goals in one season.

OK so you've changed your tune and now it is regularly - before it was he couldn't score in the premier league any more. Clearly not the same things.

I've not changed my tune. I obviously meant regularly. I wasn't trying to make the argument that Darren Bent was physicially unable to ever score a single goal in the premier league ever again. 

FFS if you thought that then you need a serious lesson in context.

3 goals and 2 assists in less than the equivalent of 14 matches for a struggling side

Massaged stats, as per usual.

Edited by Stevo985

Who is to say nobody wants him.  Maybe he thought he would get a better chance of playing regular football dropping down a league. Maybe because his form wasn't great last season he had to prove himself again before a premier league side would be prepared to gamble on him.

Still doesn't mean he can't score in the premier league - he has every season he has played in that league.

Lambert confirmed nobody came in for him, Lambert confirmed nobody would make a cash bid for him for years.

Who is to say nobody wants him. Maybe he thought he would get a better chance of playing regular football dropping down a league. Maybe because his form wasn't great last season he had to prove himself again before a premier league side would be prepared to gamble on him.

Lambert confirmed nobody came in for him, Lambert confirmed nobody would make a cash bid for him for years.

Oh yes, the gospel of Lambert. Hates stats/likes stats, says we spent less on players, accounts say more.

Yep, he isn't full of shit at all.

The concern with Bent is not whether he can score regularly anyway. It's whether or not he offers anything else to the team. A poacher who just waltzes around the pitch is no longer a position in the modern game. It's why he never made it at a big club, and why, now he's getting on a bit, because once he gets that last contract, he will work to rule, he has no value to a premier league side. You might get away with it in the Championship, but the premier league is beyond Bent now. Regardless of how many goals he scores per minute on the pitch, which considering scoring is literally all Bent offers the team, 3 in 14* is a pretty poor return (I don't know what the assists were like, but they're outliers). 

That's why no one in the premier league wants a £24 million player. 

well he is a free agent in the summer. I would be shocked if he is playing Premier League football next season and if he is I imagine it will be a wild/desperate post deadline day move

Who is to say nobody wants him. Maybe he thought he would get a better chance of playing regular football dropping down a league. Maybe because his form wasn't great last season he had to prove himself again before a premier league side would be prepared to gamble on him.

Oh yes, the gospel of Lambert. Hates stats/likes stats, says we spent less on players, accounts say more.

Yep, he isn't full of shit at all.

LOL - very true. :)

As for the 24 appearances for Fulham - as if goals per minute played isn't an alternative way to judge performance.

It is like saying he played 7 games for Villa this season and focussing on that rather than looking at the reality that he played only 78 minutes in total across those 7 games. 

Edited by Brumstopdogs

Â