Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

Being one of the better strikers in the league at one of the best clubs in the league > being one of the worst strikers in the league at one of the worst clubs in the league.

The style of play in the Championship is different to the Premier League. Derby are one of the best teams in the Championship. Darren Bent is being spoon fed against opposition that are often way worse than Derby.

No agenda from me, just telling it how it is - playing for Derby in the Championship right now, he is bound to be scoring, and once again.. I'd be worried if he wasn't!

The championship is very open with lots of goals scored, the defences are pretty crap. There's lots of strikers i have been far more impressed with than Bent. I don't think he would cut it now in the Premier League but fair play to him he's done well for Derby.  If we were talking about signing Callum Wilson or the 19 year old Derby midfield player Hughes then yes I'd be for it. 

Edited by PaulC

Blimey...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/11511234/Aston-Villa-outcast-Darren-Bent-in-talks-for-surprise-new-deal.html

Darren Bent has revealed he has had talks over a surprise new deal with Aston Villa and insists the club were “100 per cent right” to sack Paul Lambert.

Bent is rebuilding his career on loan at Derby County and enjoying playing under Steve McClaren – Villa’s £24million record signing, who was exiled by Lambert for more than two seasons, had resigned himself to a sour end to his time at the club, with his contract expiring in June.

But Lambert’s dismissal in February, and the subsequent appointment of Tim Sherwood, has raised the remarkable prospect of Bent agreeing a new deal.

“There have been conversations with Villa regarding the future and I need to have a think about things in the summer,” he told Telegraph Sport.

Why not resign him? Benteke, Kozak, Agbonlahor, and Bent as our 4 strikers is very strong. Sherwood would probably turn bent into a scorer again.

Because he's old, overweight and playing with him is like having 10 men.

Why not resign him? Benteke, Kozak, Agbonlahor, and Bent as our 4 strikers is very strong. Sherwood would probably turn bent into a scorer again.

Because he's old, overweight and playing with him is like having 10 men.

Maybe when Lambert was in charge, but who knows how Bent could play with under Sherwood. I know it's been rehashed a ton of times, but Adebayor was awful until Sherwood stepped in. 

Agenda? You're the one doing the most with the mental gymnastics and constantly changing the parameters of the debate so it can support your flimsy argument.

I'm challenging a view I don't necessarily agree with.

I don't think looking at the amount of minutes a player has played is an unreasonable thing to do particularly when the player in question had more sub appearances than starts!

But hey, you just stick to looking at appearances if it is easier for you to understand.

Agenda? You're the one doing the most with the mental gymnastics and constantly changing the parameters of the debate so it can support your flimsy argument.

I don't think looking at the amount of minutes a player has played is an unreasonable thing to do particularly when the player in question had more sub appearances than starts!

Not at all. But when that still proves that he was rubbish in the Premier League then most people would retreat quietly rather than obstinately repeating themselves.

• Like 3

My goodness, that Blackpool keeper is beyond crap. 'Arry's missus could have put a hat trick past him blindfolded.

How slow was that defender for Bent's goal though? If he beat me to a ball I'd give my ******* wages back.

Not at all. But when that still proves that he was rubbish in the Premier League then most people would retreat quietly rather than obstinately repeating themselves.

How exactly does scoring 3 goals and setting up 2 goals (in the equivalent of just over 13 matches) for one of the worst sides in the league prove he was rubbish.

Not great form but not rubbish. Moe goals in less time than the great Benteke managed earlier this season though...

Edited by Brumstopdogs

How exactly does scoring 3 goals and setting up 2 goals (in the equivalent of just over 13 matches) for one of the worst sides in the league prove he was rubbish.

Not great form but not rubbish. Moe goals in less time than the great Benteke managed earlier this season though...

It's not exactly good is it? Especially for someone who does not contribute anything to the game apart from putting the ball in the back of the net (if we're lucky). He's just not worth carrying for that kind of ratio (1 in every 4+). At least when Benteke wasn't scoring, he was contributing to the build-up play and was holding up the ball in a way that Bent never did even in his prime.

It's not exactly good is it? Especially for someone who does not contribute anything to the game apart from putting the ball in the back of the net (if we're lucky). He's just not worth carrying for that kind of ratio (1 in every 4+). At least when Benteke wasn't scoring, he was contributing to the build-up play and was holding up the ball in a way that Bent never did even in his prime.

I agree it's not what I would describe as a "good" return but for an out of form striker in a poor team I wouldn't say it is rubbish either.

On the Benteke point when he is on form I again agree his hold up play is much better however I would say in his poor spell before Sherwood rocked up many were also describing Benteke as lazy and that he didn't look interested.

Watch the game with your eyes, not just numbers, and you'll know that Bent was very poor and lazy for us in the last few years.

Not sure if that was intended for me but assuming it was I'll reply!

Firstly I have not disputed if Bent is lazy or not but just mentioned that Benteke, when off form, had the same accusation thrown at him.

As for being poor for us (Villa) in the last few years I guess it depends on what you class as a few. In the league he played in the equivalent of less than 10 matches during Lambert's tenure so arguably wasn't given sufficient opportunity and played for a poor manager who failed to get the best out of him.

I agree it's not what I would describe as a "good" return but for an out of form striker in a poor team I wouldn't say it is rubbish either.

On the Benteke point when he is on form I again agree his hold up play is much better however I would say in his poor spell before Sherwood rocked up many were also describing Benteke as lazy and that he didn't look interested.

That's the difference between the two though. For Benteke it was a confidence/mood issue whereas for Bent he is just incapable of contributing in that way due to his limitations which have only been exacerbated with age. He got away with it when he was scoring a decent amount, but now that he's well below par in that department too (using whichever metric you wish to choose), he's just not good enough for us I'm afraid. Which is such a shame to have to mention because he was one of the most exciting signings I've seen at Villa.

I agree with most of that and don't necessarily want him back at the club - his time has probably come and gone (although if he did come back I'd support him).

A point that could be disputed is the bit about him being below par in the scoring department. 12 goals in 14 starts this season is a decent return even in the Championship IMO.

And as Steve pointed out early, still worse than Fulham's other strikers. The statistics that you want to use prove that Hugo Rodallega was twice as good for Fulham that season as Bent was. 

Based on what he was doing for them, he was lucky to play in "the equivalent of just over 13 matches".

Â