Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

Always makes me laugh when a fan calls a player fat.

Yeah, because there is no way a fan could be slimmer and fitter than a football player..

Impossible!

Have you seen the rogues gallery in OT? ;)

I always think this is an unfair comparison - DB is a highly paid professional athlete who chose that career path. I think it's ok to be critical in that context.

Put it this way, if you're on a plane coming into Heathrow and the pilot forgets to put the landing gear down, as you slide down the runway are you going to be thinking "fair play, I couldn't have done any better"? 

Back on topic, the issue isn't that he's fat; it's that he's a one-dimensional footballer who doesn't fit out system. That's not a slight on him or us - it's just a bad combo.

Edited by Vancvillan

Yeah, because there is no way a fan could be slimmer and fitter than a football player..

Impossible!

I always think this is an unfair comparison - DB is a highly paid professional athlete who chose that career path. I think it's ok to be critical in that context.

Put it this way, if you're on a plane coming into Heathrow and the pilot forgets to put the landing gear down, as you slide down the runway are you going to be thinking "fair play, I couldn't have done any better"? 

Back on topic, the issue isn't that he's fat; it's that he's a one-dimensional footballer who doesn't fit out system. That's not a slight on him or us - it's just a bad combo.

Like Benteke is not fitting our system yeah?

Impossible!

Sorry, but this "doesn't fit our system" is history. We've changed it, and now I'm not sure anyone fits it. At least not Benteke.

• Like 1

Impossible!

Jeezus christo man, give it up!

Form is temporary........to even question whether you'd rather have benteke or bent in the side is laughable under pretty much any circumstance

I've seen benteke do things bent can't even do on Fifa

• Like 1

In my humble opinion Benteke lacks confidence and is coming off the back of a serious injury. Sometimes it takes a few matches, other times it takes a few months.  I think he has the speed, strength, technique and footballing brain to turn it around and re-capture the form we've seen before. Though I think this is more suited to another thread (Benteke, not Lambert if that's where you're going with this).

Bent is an ageing one-dimensional footballer who doesn't fit any system that requires him to do more than find space 5 yards. So he doesn't fit anyone's system in the Prem. Good luck to him in the Championship, MLS or A-League.

3 goals in 3 games. Starts might have something to do with it. Less pressure might have something to do with it. Delivery and team set up might have something to do with it. 

Whichever way, I'm glad and wish him all the best as he always seemed to have a good attitude however things were going for him at VP. 

3 in 3 is good, and he looks better, but you could also argue that now he looks like he gives a shit cos he needs a new club/deal next season.

Fair play to him for doing well now but I would have thought that he would have played if he put the effort in. Lambert has brought Hutton and CNZ back in at times this season so no reason to suggest Bent couldn't have got a game other than fitness reasons.

Hopefully he finds his feet at another club as always thought he was a good striker. Plus he saved us when Houllier was manager so will always have a soft spot for him.

• Like 1

He's making his excuses for why he didn't blossom at Fulham and Brighton. He's just trying to save face. He's not stupid, he just has seen the options available to him next and he's sure they'll still be there whatever he does. He just wants his name in the papers to remind some PL clubs he still exists, and that he wasn't left out in the cold because he's terrible, but because PL is a fool. 

He scored 2 in 5 starts at an out of form Brighton team so you're wrong there.

3 goals in 3 games. Starts might have something to do with it. Less pressure might have something to do with it. Delivery and team set up might have something to do with it. 

Whichever way, I'm glad and wish him all the best as he always seemed to have a good attitude however things were going for him at VP. 

Agree with most of this.

Darren Bent given games scores goals shocker!

You need more than a tap in merchant in the premiership these days. By the way his two goals tonight when he came off the bench were two of the biggest tap ins you will see.

Whether it is down to Bent, Lambert or a mixture of both but he is never going to play for us again. That being the case I really couldn't give a shit what happens to him now. Last season when he was out on loan I was happy to see him do well but that was only because it gave us a chance of getting a few quid back on him and getting his huge wages off the books.

I have always said as long as I know when a player comes off the pitch he has put 100% in I will forgive a poor performance. During Lamberts time on the occasions Bent has played I have never believed he has given his all and that is unacceptable.

• Like 1

You need more than a tap in merchant in the premiership these days. By the way his two goals tonight when he came off the bench were two of the biggest tap ins you will see.

If only Benteke would find the correct positions in front of goal like Bent. I am not criticizing anyone, but to say the goals were just tap-ins, makes me wonder why Villa has only scored  11 goals in the league when it is so obvious that tap ins are so easy and effective.

Sorry I forgot they didn't count ;) Edited by jim

If only Benteke would find the correct positions in front of goal like Bent. I am not criticizing anyone, but to say the goals were just tap-ins, makes me wonder why Villa has only scored  11 goals in the league when it is so obvious that tap ins are so easy and effective.

because the point is you dont get many tap-ins in the Premier League

Sorry I forgot they didn't count ;)

You cant afford to carry a man who doesnt move out of the 6 yard box in the premier league. They have to offer more, thats all im saying

Wouldn't it be worth having bent back in the squad now he's got a few goals and some confidence back? Personally he's a great sub to bring on for one of our defensive midfielders in the last 25-30 minutes if you need a goal.

How many opportunities have we had where the ball flys past the 6 yard box and Benteke has pulled his run. Complete different players, and Benteke has bags more all round ability. But depth is vital and I agree form is only temporary but temporary is all we need right now. Too much pressure on benteke, a rest or some bench appearances might shake things up....competition is healthy! #BBB (BringBackBent)

Edited by AdamDouggie

because the point is you dont get many tap-ins in the Premier League

Can you prove that?

Â