Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

He used to live next to a friend of mine in the jewellery quarter.

Out late, different girl each time he was seen etc. He definitely enjoys a party, i think maybe he has taken his eye of the ball, as it were.

However, aside from all this, I still think there is a goal threat in there somewhere.

Bent got his "big" move to Spurs and essentially flopped despite scoring a few goals. He goes to Sunderland, bangs them in and earns another "big" move by coming here and with all those excellent players we had at the time, despite struggling of course in the league. 6 months later after scoring 9 in 16 we appoint McLeish and lose Young and Downing. Bent knows we are going nowhere and knows he wont get a big move again. His career has hit a glass ceiling that he will never break. Mentally IMO, his head went there. He's 28 and should be at his peak and plays for a lowly Villa side in rapid decline. He probably and rightly, thought he was singed under false pretences.

It's no surprise that he lost form shortly after and hasnt looked interested since. He gets farmed out to a terrible Fulham side and now his career has hit its lowest ebb, loaned out to a Championship side at age 30. I'm not condoning all of this, I'm merely giving my opinion on why it went wrong so quickly. I said back in summer 2011 on here that his 9 in 16 contribution will be his best and probably only great contribution for us and its proved to be just that. It's a shame as I really liked him and loved some of those goals from 10-11 that saved our ass.

Only good thing that can out of his move for him personally was that he became England's number 1 for a short while. Pretty sure there was one England game when Young-Bent-Downing was the front three for England.

Hard to believe now.

He'd have just been fighting relegation year in year out at Sunderland aswell. When Bent signed he said how much he was going to enjoy playing with Young and Downing so I guess he didn't think both would be sold 6 months later although with Young's contract that was always going to happen. The management change for an extremely defensively manager didn't help either and was a bit of a death knell.

What I can't understand in all of this is why in his great fondness for signing British players at extortionate prices, why in his four years in charge, why Martin O'Neill didn't sign him at any point of his four years in charge. If the bloke can score 9 in 18 in a McLeish team he'd had scored a hatful in a direct MON team with crosses coming in every 5 seconds.

At the time we lacked a third forward who could hit double figures after Gabby and Carew. Heskey and Harewood getting about 5 a season didn't cut it, Bent also getting 10 could well have been the little extra needed to make the top 4 in one of those seasons.

Honestly? I mean really?!

So if a manager doesn't rate you how are you supposed to perform? Not going to exactly boost your confidence is it?

No one has offered us a single penny for Darren Bent.

Because every single other manager/chairman knows he won't drop his wages from 60k a week (£12 million pounds over the whole 4 years), to go and play for a team on £30k a week.

Also, WHY WOULD THE MANAGER KEEP PLAYING A PLAYER WHO HAS ONLY SCORED ABOUT 3 GOALS?!

this forum would meltdown if he did that. I strongly suggest you have a look at the deal, know that we vastly overpaid for his services because of the position we were in. Lambert then came in, PLAYED HIM, HE DID NOTHING, so dropped him for a better player/system (Even though that player/system still may not be good enough for you or others).

If you cannot see that, then honestly mate, you need your head looking at, it's absolutely completely dumbfounded me how you cannot see any of the salient facts.

Do you expect Lambert to keep playing him on the off chance some team will say, "we'll buy that striker from you who's slow, overweight, cannot score etc, and do you know what? We'll give him 60k a week too!!!" - IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

relax Lap, relax, it's all gonna be ok.

Prove it.

Where's your proof that anyone has?

Bent was given a chance under Lambert, was dropped and then got injured when he got back in the team. He came back was played and got injured again. I'm not sure what Lambert did wrong in that first season.

Last season he was sent on loan to Fulham and didn't exactly impress under Jol, Meulensteen or Magath. How is that Lamberts fault?

I don't recall saying it was Lambert's fault how he got on at Fulham but to be fair which Fulham players did do well?

Keiran Richardson.

If we played with wingers and had him up top with Benteke, he'd score more than enough goals for us. But we don't, and he doesn't.

Supposition. Show me one piece of evidence that is true.

Reasonable doubt has passed a long time ago as far as I'm concerned. We're shit, he's worse. Good riddence.

I don't recall saying it was Lambert's fault how he got on at Fulham but to be fair which Fulham players did do well?

Keiran Richardson.

I'd contest that one - wasn't he part of the defence that conceded 85 goals! (although occasionally he looked half decent going forward)

Birmingham Mail survey says 80% of supporters would have him in the starting lineup. Amazing.

I think it shows how desperate fans are to see a different approach.

I think it shows how a lot of people calling a phone line to answer a question isn't a reliable indicator of either how to proceed, or indeed how most people actually think. 

Birmingham Mail survey says 80% of supporters would have him in the starting lineup. Amazing.

I think it shows how desperate fans are to see a different approach.

Or just shows how The Mail is becoming a shit 'sensationalist' tabloid rag.....

I wouldn't want Bent anywhere near the bench, let alone the starting XI - he simply doesn't offer enough and the only thing he appears 'hungry' for is another free dinner.

Fans moan that we're not creating enough chances, but then want Bent (the classic goal hanger) to dawdle around the final third of the pitch 'hoping' something happens!?!? It's like playing with 10 men.

I agree, a different approach is needed - overlapping wide runs resulting in crosses - if that went on, we still wouldn't need Bent as I feel the likes of Benteke, Gabby, Weimann and even Robinson would be better options.

Â