Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

The Bomb squad was created and used to make these expensive players, who offer nothing (has beens etc) to get them to say "do you know what? I'm better than playing with children, I'll take a wage cut and make the most of my very time limited career" - instead we got "I'm not leaving because no club is stupid to give me the wages I'm currently on, so I'll just play with the kids and earn my money by doing rock all, irrespective of my time limited career - I just love the money!". 

Also, Lambert tried to get "something" out of him, he made him club captain when he arrived and started him every game, which eventually led him (and ALL THE FUNKING FANS) to think he deserved dropping.

Spot on.

"Bent to Brighton on Emergency Loan": Theirs or ours?!

• Like 1

I think he is finished at Villa after last nights cameo.

Told you.

Gone to Brighton on a month loan, I'm told the lack of effort when he came on on Monday night wasn't missed by Lambert and he got told so in the dressing room after the game.

Seems Lambert wasn't slow to take action.

I think Lamberts only failing in this was expecting any more from Bent than what he gave on Monday night. I’d like to think Lambert wanted him to spend the 15 minutes he was going to be on for running around like a blue arse fly, chasing lost causes and do his best to close down the Southampton back line. Being as we were one up that is what was likely going to be required.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but for me he’d have been better off leaving Gabby up top and throwing on Bacuna to help Cissokho out down the left.

As for Bent going out on loan he certainly won’t be missed. Decent player to have around when you have players willing to do your running and who can lay chances on a plate for you. For us though over the last 3 years he has been a luxury we couldn't afford to have in the team due his bone idleness.

• Like 2

Bent got his "big" move to Spurs and essentially flopped despite scoring a few goals. He goes to Sunderland, bangs them in and earns another "big" move by coming here and with all those excellent players we had at the time, despite struggling of course in the league. 6 months later after scoring 9 in 16 we appoint McLeish and lose Young and Downing. Bent knows we are going nowhere and knows he wont get a big move again. His career has hit a glass ceiling that he will never break. Mentally IMO, his head went there. He's 28 and should be at his peak and plays for a lowly Villa side in rapid decline. He probably and rightly, thought he was singed under false pretences.

It's no surprise that he lost form shortly after and hasnt looked interested since. He gets farmed out to a terrible Fulham side and now his career has hit its lowest ebb, loaned out to a Championship side at age 30. I'm not condoning all of this, I'm merely giving my opinion on why it went wrong so quickly. I said back in summer 2011 on here that his 9 in 16 contribution will be his best and probably only great contribution for us and its proved to be just that. It's a shame as I really liked him and loved some of those goals from 10-11 that saved our ass.

• Like 1

Bent got his "big" move to Spurs and essentially flopped despite scoring a few goals. He goes to Sunderland, bangs them in and earns another "big" move by coming here and with all those excellent players we had at the time, despite struggling of course in the league. 6 months later after scoring 9 in 16 we appoint McLeish and lose Young and Downing. Bent knows we are going nowhere and knows he wont get a big move again. His career has hit a glass ceiling that he will never break. Mentally IMO, his head went there. He's 28 and should be at his peak and plays for a lowly Villa side in rapid decline. He probably and rightly, thought he was singed under false pretences.

It's no surprise that he lost form shortly after and hasnt looked interested since. He gets farmed out to a terrible Fulham side and now his career has hit its lowest ebb, loaned out to a Championship side at age 30. I'm not condoning all of this, I'm merely giving my opinion on why it went wrong so quickly. I said back in summer 2011 on here that his 9 in 16 contribution will be his best and probably only great contribution for us and its proved to be just that. It's a shame as I really liked him and loved some of those goals from 10-11 that saved our ass.

Yep - agree with most of this.

Rather than being farmed out on loan to Fulham if we wanted to recoup a transfer fee the end of Lambert's first season was the time to it.

Cant believe his gone.  He want even given a fare chance this ceason.  He's normilly a 1 in 2 stryker his way betta than Gabby or Benteke!

If normally means his total career then yes he has done better than Gabby. 

Rather than being farmed out on loan to Fulham if we wanted to recoup a transfer fee the end of Lambert's first season was the time to it.

You understand supply and demand, right?

• Like 1

Told you.

Gone to Brighton on a month loan, I'm told the lack of effort when he came on on Monday night wasn't missed by Lambert and he got told so in the dressing room after the game.

I think Lamberts only failing in this was expecting any more from Bent than what he gave on Monday night. I’d like to think Lambert wanted him to spend the 15 minutes he was going to be on for running around like a blue arse fly, chasing lost causes and do his best to close down the Southampton back line. Being as we were one up that is what was likely going to be required.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but for me he’d have been better off leaving Gabby up top and throwing on Bacuna to help Cissokho out down the left.

As for Bent going out on loan he certainly won’t be missed. Decent player to have around when you have players willing to do your running and who can lay chances on a plate for you. For us though over the last 3 years he has been a luxury we couldn't afford to have in the team due his bone idleness.

I know some think I'm never critical of Lambert but I was on this particular change and I said it in the match thread at the time and I've said it to people since.

In terms of the logic of it, I believe that it was two fold. One, that we might just get another chance in the game and Bent for all his faults is a decent finisher, had the chance fallen to him that Weimann got I think we win the game. Second, Southampton's main threat was down the flanks with the full backs pushing on (see the goal) and I believe the idea was to push Gabby wide and use his pace to help deal with them coming forward and to try and push them back or stop them doing so.

It didn't work, I'm still not sure it was the correct move but that is why it was done.

As you say hindsight and all that but even at the time my thinking was more similar to yours.

• Like 1

He remains for me, in terms of value for money, the worst signing in the clubs history.

There will be those that say his goals kept us up in the season he arrived, but we had a team that included some very good players and with that £18m we'd have had no trouble finding other options that could have done the same trick.

We've still got about another £2.8m to spend before he's gone. 

• Like 4

He remains for me, in terms of value for money, the worst signing in the clubs history.

There will be those that say his goals kept us up in the season he arrived, but we had a team that included some very good players and with that £18m we'd have had no trouble finding other options that could have done the same trick.

We've still got about another £2.8m to spend before he's gone. 

He won't be eating in our canteen for at least another month so you can knock about £100k alone off that final bill.

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 1

You understand supply and demand, right?

Newcastle and Fulham were both rumoured, from memory, to be willing to pay £5m for him prior to the player going on loan. Is it not possible that Lambert thought that Bent was worth more than that so he thought he'd loan him to Fulham and get more what he was looking for if Bent did well there?

Newcastle and Fulham were both rumoured, from memory, to be willing to pay £5m for him prior to the player going on loan. Is it not possible that Lambert thought that Bent was worth more than that so he thought he'd loan him to Fulham and get more what he was looking for if Bent did well there?

Both clubs were in for him but neither on a immediate perm basis I believe.

Told you.

I know some think I'm never critical of Lambert but I was on this particular change and I said it in the match thread at the time and I've said it to people since.

In terms of the logic of it, I believe that it was two fold. One, that we might just get another chance in the game and Bent for all his faults is a decent finisher, had the chance fallen to him that Weimann got I think we win the game. Second, Southampton's main threat was down the flanks with the full backs pushing on (see the goal) and I believe the idea was to push Gabby wide and use his pace to help deal with them coming forward and to try and push them back or stop them doing so.

It didn't work, I'm still not sure it was the correct move but that is why it was done.

As you say hindsight and all that but even at the time my thinking was more similar to yours.

I've said as much in several threads.

Probably not the right thing, but I struggle with why people are so baffled by the logic.

• Like 3

Told you.

I'm sure some will view this as another thing to blame Lambert for but personally I think Bent is the one to blame for his decline.

He offered exactly the same as he did during all his other substitute cameos this season.

Bent has been abysmal every time he's been on a football pitch in the last two years.

Why he's been playing at all I don't know. Why he's suddenly started making appearances after being the worst player in a team that got relegated last year I don't know.

Just echoing what others have said, but signing Bent for an enormous sum and then failing to recoup sustained benefits either on the pitch or in the transfer market was a shockingly bad piece of business.

A clear case study in how not to run a club at owner level, and get the best out of an expensive asset at managerial level.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

Â