Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

"It was only Bradford" and none of our players could handle them.

Cole looked good last night, I hope he can make an impact over the next few weeks too.

Bent was playing against Bradford, he missed a sitter if my memory is correct :)
They were talking about Cole. Edited by dodgyknees

he could be useful especially against teams who'll come and park the bus.if he gets fit why not.he will always score goals and we don't score enough.with cole's passing ability he could score a few.

My personal view is that Bent is still not really part of Lambert's plans and should an offer be forthcoming for him that was acceptable to club and player he would be gone. 

Had things worked out differently at Fulham for all concerned we wouldn't be in this position but we are and so Lambert is trying to make the best of it.

But if we could get him off the wage bill and free those wages up for other players I think we would jump at the chance.

End of the day I am sure we will all be happy if Darren Bent is back to his best and scoring 15+ goals for us

Reading some of the comments here I'm not so sure.

Really? I don't think there is a single Villa fan on here that wouldn't be delighted if Bent scored 15 goals last season. Not one and I don't see any comments in here that make me think otherwise.

All I see are some people, myself included who don't think that will happen and who aren't overly convinced by a seemingly overweight striker knocking in a couple of tap in's against Mansfield.

I'll be delighted if he gets 15 but I just can't see it.

• Like 4

My personal view is that Bent is still not really part of Lambert's plans and should an offer be forthcoming for him that was acceptable to club and player he would be gone.

Had things worked out differently at Fulham for all concerned we wouldn't be in this position but we are and so Lambert is trying to make the best of it.

But if we could get him off the wage bill and free those wages up for other players I think we would jump at the chance.

Probably. Doubt anyone will. Him scoring in pre-season may help

Probably. Doubt anyone will. Him scoring in pre-season may help

Him getting on the slim fast and treadmill would be a bigger help :)

Yes, I get the feeling that the same would apply to Hutton and Given and N'zogbia.

I think we have more chance of getting him to score regularly.....than getting another club to pay reasonable funds for him.

right now he's a damn squib, good to no one.

we need to find a way to get him scoring.

we just can't keep writing players off as bad buys, a blend has to be found to get these players playing to what they was when we was attracted to buying them.

most of them have gone backwards, is that not an issue in itself?.....lets hope Roy Keane can address it

Edited by TRO

I think we have more chance of getting him to score regularly.....than getting another club to pay reasonable funds for him.

we just can't keep writing players off as bad buys, a blend has to be found to get these players playing to what they was when we was attracted to buying them.

most of them have gone backwards, is that not an issue in itself?.....lets hope Roy Keane can address it

Good call.

Lambert has built his side around a strong target man in Benteke (and, to a lesser degree, Kozac). Can Bent be trained to fit that role? Or is he too limited in his approach?

Really? I don't think there is a single Villa fan on here that wouldn't be delighted if Bent scored 15 goals last season. Not one and I don't see any comments in here that make me think otherwise.

All I see are some people, myself included who don't think that will happen and who aren't overly convinced by a seemingly overweight striker knocking in a couple of tap in's against Mansfield.

I'll be delighted if he gets 15 but I just can't see it.

Still have to be in the right position for the tap ins though, bent is like klose in that he only scores tap ins!

I would also be delighted if he scored 15+!

Good call.

Lambert has built his side around a strong target man in Benteke (and, to a lesser degree, Kozac). Can Bent be trained to fit that role? Or is he too limited in his approach?

That's a bit harsh bent has never been that type of player, he can't change his style now, it is down to the manager to play to his players strengths not vice versa
  • Like 2

Yes, I get the feeling that the same would apply to Hutton and Given and N'zogbia.

Maybe not, seeing as we wont sell Hutton all of a sudden. WBA came in with a couple of bids and they've been rejected. Whether the valuation didnt get met or not I dont know but i get the impression Lerner has made it clear to Lambert he has to utilise all the current playing staff to keep this club afloat.

One newspaper said we wouldn't sell Hutton because we didn't want to sell to a rival (which would be a change, as we always seem to sell to our rivals!)

Considering Hutton was one of our better players against Mansfield, maybe Lambert is willing to backtrack, to avoid Baggies getting a half-decent fullback. (and yes, I know it was just Mansfield, but it was also the same Mansfield that Lowton/ Bacuna/ Bennett played against, and Hutton did better than them).

Good call.

That's a bit harsh bent has never been that type of player, he can't change his style now, it is down to the manager to play to his players strengths not vice versa

Exactly, he has 153 goals in 385 league games so it's quite obvious we should play to his strengths. It may also lead to better football instead of whacking it 70 yards to the big guy which seems to be Villa's favorite tactic of late

• Like 2

Good call.

Exactly, he has 153 goals in 385 league games so it's quite obvious we should play to his strengths. It may also lead to better football instead of whacking it 70 yards to nobody which seems to be Villa's favorite tactic of late

Corrected for you :-).

Â