Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

Bowery being ahead of Bent in the pecking order was a joke.

Its almost like Lambert had a wage budget to meet...

We still payed his wages while he sat in the stands.

At Fulham? My impression was that they paid the majority if not all of his wages. Plus a loan fee.

No in 2012-13.

oh you mean in the season when Bent made twice as many appearances as Bowery, not sure that would back your point up either.

• Like 4

he does seem to be thicker than usual. But it is early pre season. Even though he scores easy goals.. he has a poaches instinct and knows where to run and go. His runs and movement is what makes the goals look easy. Gabby doesn't get these easy goals does he. Because he is not very bright.

Wiemann has this too but misses the easy chances these days. Hopefully we see Wiemann return to form this new season too. The off season would have done him wonders. I am still hoping the Wiemann Benteke partnership of two seasons ago comes back. Last season he looked like he was lacking confidence and the pressure got to him when the fans gave him a bit of stick.

Completely right, Gabby simply can't read the play unless it's focussed on him or he sees a ball to chase, Weimann had a good record last year when playing up front but he did miss some good chances when coming in from the wing, but even then he's no Bent, because he works hard.

Bent gets you goals, he saved us once, was treated with a bit of contempt and then his performances dropped off. Put the ball in and he will score, yes it's hard to carry a player but it's not that bad when that carried player wins you games.

Is he good enough to base a tactic around? He is if he wins you games.

Like Brian in Family Guy?  :D

As one who has been advocating using Bent in the absence of better options because of injuries, well done to him for last night's performance.

However, as others have said, it must be borne in mind that it was a friendly at Mansfield.

Better that he's scoring than not. If Cole can perform week in week out then he's the kind of player that's clever enough to get Bent involved in the business areas. I wish him good luck, I don't think he ever moaned about not being picked, if he can pop up with a few goals before Benteke gets back then it would be grand.

Bent's main talent has always been being in the right place at the right time. You can't really coach that, it's all down to instinct

Sadly neither Weimann or Gabby have this, and it remains to be seen if Kozak does over a sustained period of time. 

Once Bent's in better shape and we've done the pre season games we wont really know if he's up to starting come August. But i already have a feeling he will be

He hasn't had much to get motivated for. hopefully now with a clean slate.. he will be busting a gut. Sounds like he has. Okore and Cole have been impressed with him.

Bent's main talent has always been being in the right place at the right time. You can't really coach that, it's all down to instinct

Sadly neither Weimann or Gabby have this, and it remains to be seen if Kozak does over a sustained period of time. 

Once Bent's in better shape and we've done the pre season games we wont really know if he's up to starting come August. But i already have a feeling he will be

Yes he's a proven goal scorer.. He's had a bad time these last few years but he could still play a big part if lambert shows faith in him..

Bowery being ahead of Bent in the pecking order was a joke.

Its almost like Lambert had a wage budget to meet...

We still payed his wages while he sat in the stands.

At Fulham? My impression was that they paid the majority if not all of his wages. Plus a loan fee.

No in 2012-13.

oh you mean in the season when Bent made twice as many appearances as Bowery, not sure that would back your point up either.

Bowery didn't play that much but he used to get onto the bench ahead of Bent.

Busting a gut is an interesting turn of phrase :)

As for players praising players I'm not sure too much should be read into that in any example as in reality they are never going to be critical.

they could just say nothing. Deserves another shot is all im saying. I think our whole squad could do with the 'clean slate'. Hopefully bring more competitiveness and have everyone fighting for a spot again.

When Bent was injured?

No when Bent was sat in the stands at Villa Park in a suit.

When Bent was injured?

Want me to pass you some straws, you can take your pick.

When Bent was injured?

In my very limited understanding of the mechanical workings of suits I always thought you could wear one of them even when you were injured.

IIRC there was a hoohaa because he came back from one of his many injuries, declared himself "fit", and didn't walk straight back into the squad. As soon as he did get back in the team a few weeks later he got reinjured straight away.

When Bent was injured?

In my very limited understanding of the mechanical workings of suits I always thought you could wear one of them even when you were injured.

IIRC there was a hoohaa because he came back from one of his many injuries, declared himself "fit", and didn't walk straight back into the squad. As soon as he did get back in the team a few weeks later he got reinjured straight away.

You don't go to the stadium if you are injured.

He was available for selection but didn't make the bench.

When Bent was injured?

He was available for selection but didn't make the bench.

:D

Said who?

That's simply not true in any sense that it can be read (general statement of fact, rule of life for footballers, or whatever else). Why would you claim that?

• Like 1

At the end of the day it was our fault things didn't work out. We knew what we were buying and we took a valuable asset to a team like ours and took everything away that made him valuable. He had a very good goal scoring record for the club before lambert's time.

I'm not going to read too much into his time at Fulham, I doubt there was much motivation on his part.

The villa fans really got behind him last night. You could hear them chanting for him in the first half.

I think he could be key for us again and if I'm honest I'd rather bent in the team than weimman or kozak.

Happy to have him back.

• Like 1

Â