Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

Training is completely different to a game.

Duh is it - really ?? Thanks I never would have guessed !

The point is a Manager knows from what he sees in training (they are more knowledgeable than us you know) whether it is worth trying. If he had seen enough to try it he would, otherwise he wouldn't. It is another of those examples of fans thinking they are the experts, why not trust the judgement of the guy in charge?

Duh is it - really ?? Thanks I never would have guessed !

The point is a Manager knows from what he sees in training (they are more knowledgeable than us you know) whether it is worth trying. If he had seen enough to try it he would, otherwise he wouldn't. It is another of those examples of fans thinking they are the experts, why not trust the judgement of the guy in charge?

You cannot judge whether a partnership would work or not in training. It doesn't take an expert to realise that bent is someone who puts the ball in the back of the net and as we're the lowest scorers in the league and he hasn't been playing then it's definitely worth a go.

Maybe the fact that PL selected him and therefore cup tied him is an indication he will stay with us for the remainder of the season as it will have reduced his value?

Unless he has a move to Newcastle lined up ;)

• Like 1

I like goals, for us. So thanks for that Darren.

I think the manager made absolutely the right call by pairing Benteke and Weimann together. The proof of that pudding is in it's eating and it tastes bloody lovely. If someone where to offer my Aston Villa £10m for Bent right now I'd snap their hand off and bring in the best Central Defender that money could buy. Though if Bent is to stay then that has it's obvious advantages too, what an impact player to have.

If he wins his shirt back it will be through hard work and determination and I'd be equally pleased with that.

I think the manager made absolutely the right call by pairing Benteke and Weimann together. The proof of that pudding is in it's eating and it tastes bloody lovely. If someone where to offer my Aston Villa £10m for Bent right now I'd snap their hand off and bring in the best Central Defender that money could buy. Though if Bent is to stay then that has it's obvious advantages too, what an impact player to have.

If he wins his shirt back it will be through hard work and determination and I'd be equally pleased with that.

totally pragmatic and the right approach for me

Still think Bent has the quality to win the shirt back.

But fair play to Lambert for picking Weimann and Benteke. Lambert has managed this situation quite well for me.

Our 4 top scorers are these aforementioned 3 plus Agbonlahor. In all competitions Benteke has 9, Weimann 7, Bent and Agbonlahor 4 a-piece. I know those figures are in no way amazing, but factor in injuries etc I think Lambert has control of the striker situation quite nicely.

If only we had the quality elsewhere in the team to turn this into a decent winning formula.

totally pragmatic and the right approach for me

Just not controversial enough for this thread perhaps!

I just don't see the point in getting het up about it. Either way as things stand we're winning, we've got 4 decent strikers at the club now should you still class Agbonlahor as a "striker" (or decent). It's not worth stressing out over, it's a genuinely good problem to have in these reasonably gloomy days.

not me, the team doesnt score enough goals. Isnt it 17 in the league all season? Seams crazy to sell a goal scorer when we dont score enough goals. Injury to Benteke and then what are you going to do?

The strikers aren't the problem though are they? You can't really believe that? We've actually got the best pound for pound strike force we've had in years, and years, and years. If we are to be dogmatic rather than pragmatic then I think we're heading for another backwards step. One we really can't afford.

As I said, if the a manager wants to keep him and give him a chance to win back his shirt then great, I'm all for it. Being intent on keeping him regardless smacks to me of burying your head in the sand and refusing to see other possibilities out of blind loyalty to a player who quite frankly, in my opinion, hasn't really cut the mustard for some 18 months now.

We have scored the least amount of goals in the league though, so perhaps Bent has something to offer still.

We have scored the least amount of goals in the league though, so perhaps Bent has something to offer still.

I keep hearing that argument, I'm not disputing that he offers us something. I personally never have done. Put it on a plate for him and he'll score, lots.

I will dispute that our strikers are not the major factor in our lack of goals. In fact, they're barely a factor at all. I would even go as far as to suggest we would create even less if we were to replace Weimann with Bent as our mainstay.

As a creative force we're a joke to be frank. Darren Bent isn't going to change that. Now, if we can freshen up our attack with the likes of N'Zogbia, Agbonlahor and in the transfer market THEN he becomes a factor, a big one. Weimann will have to work hard to keep hold of his shirt, Bent will have to work even harder to take it from him.

It's a good potential problem to have. I'm baffled as to what the arguing is about.

Lambert mentioned bents performance in his post match interview. Saying he worked hard and his goal was him down to a tee. Certainly doesn't sound like he's looking to off load him. In fact didn't he do a similar thing to a player at Norwich who then when he got his chance in the team, he took it.

I definitely think Bent can work in a system with the rest of the players, and tbh if we got him scoring goals and playing with Benteke it would be like a 24m signing all over again. I think the key is to let Bent float around getting in to the sort of positions he scores in with basically a free to roam card. Key to the getting Bent service would be Benteke using his strength to create space for him. This has its obvious weaknesses though, if we give Bent the freedom to roam it means for most of the game we will have 10 players as Bent wouldn't contribute as much as his alternatives in the squad. This would mean we need to be tight in defence and possibly play two wide midfielders/wingers that can defend and really put in a shift. Also in the system would be a DMC protecting the defence and a box to box midfielder.

--------------------- Guzan -------------------

Lowton -- Vlaar -- NEW CB -- Bennett

------ Westwood ----- NEW DMC -------

Wiemann --------------------- Agbonlahor

------------- Benteke ------------------------

--------------------- Bent ---------------------

We've scored less goals than any team in the prem, and we're happy to let go a proven goal scorer and we're perfectly fine upfront. Yeah that makes perfect sense. Oh forgot to add we're currently on course to have our worst goal scoring season in the history of the club. Think about how bad that is.

Gabby causes problems but doesn't score enough and as we've witnessed as a young player Benteke has games when he's unplayable but also games when he's poor. Weimman is also still a young player and i'm sure will go through periods of bad form like all players do.

We've scored less goals than any team in the prem, and we're happy to let go a proven goal scorer and we're perfectly fine upfront. Yeah that makes perfect sense. Oh forgot to add we're currently on course to have our worst goal scoring season in the history of the club. Think about how bad that is.

Gabby causes problems but doesn't score enough and as we've witnessed as a young player Benteke has games when he's unplayable but also games when he's poor. Weimman is also still a young player and i'm sure will go through periods of bad form like all players do.

It does make sense when you read what I've actually written rather than trying to use antagonistic language to pick a fight with someone for the sake of it.

Not interested.

To be fair it does make sense. Bent is a top striker but we dont have the defence or midfield to have a striker like that in our team. We need Bentekes strength and hold up play and we need Weimanns industry and finishing. Bent brings only finishing. Our strikers have scored a fair amount of goals already. Not great but not terrible. Yet our midfield has been lacking in creativity and goals and our defence is well terrible. If Bent is still here playing and our team is better with new additions then great. However, we do have Weimann and Benteke playing out of their skins so Bent will have to work for his shirt.

• Like 1

Â