78 members have voted

1. 1. Best decade?

• 50s
    • 60s
    • 70s
    • 80s
    • 90s
    • This current decade (*4 years of)

Don't get me wrong I remain a fan of new order. Ceremony and temptation are my two fav tracks. I think that lacked a frontman. Summers is no Curtis but heck they enjoyed much greater success as new order.

One of which is a Joy Division song and both of which are Pre-Blue Monday (the obvious first career changing moment for NO), which is also before any commercial success.

I also suspect If Curtis had remained alive, the band would either have split anyway before Blue Monday or never gone down the path that it did.

Don't get me wrong I remain a fan of new order. Ceremony and temptation are my two fav tracks. I think that lacked a frontman. Summers is no Curtis but heck they enjoyed much greater success as new order.

One of which is a Joy Division song and both of which are Pre-Blue Monday (the obvious first career changing moment for NO), which is also before any commercial success.

I also suspect If Curtis had remained alive, the band would either have split anyway before Blue Monday or never gone down the path that it did.

Pretty sure Curtis would of had nothing to do with Blue Monday. Do you like the Movement album ? Personally I love it .

Pretty sure Curtis would of had nothing to do with Blue Monday. Do you like the Movement album ? Personally I love it .

Movement is actually my favourite New Order Album. It is the only one I listen to from start to finish

Movement is actually my favourite New Order Album. It is the only one I listen to from start to finish

Yes I like movement too buts its not one of their favourites as it was a transitional album between them and JD. Probably power  corruption and lies is my fav. I must admit the last couple of albums have been crap.

Edited by PaulC

Yes ceremony was written by Curtis wasn't it? I can't imagine Curtis doing all that dance stuff, mind you I couldn't have imagined Hook doing it either. Blue Monday meant a lot to me as i'd just taken over a record shop and that was my biggest selling 12" single ever. I couldn't get enough of them. Factory records, distributed by Pinnacle.

Curtis actually performed Ceremony once, at B'ham Uni, I was there at the final gig and it was recorded and released on the Still album, it's not that much different to the NO version.

I do agree with bicks. I think Curtis wouldn't have been as willing to progress, and probably wouldn't have gone for that Arthur Baker New York Hi-NRG disco thing that changed everything.

A rather boring fact is that it cost more per unit for Blue Monday to be produced that it made under the RRP. So New Order/Factory/Wilson lost money with every sale. And it was the highest selling UK 12 inch vinyl single of all time.

Wilson was certainly no businessman.

Curtis actually performed Ceremony once, at B'ham Uni, I was there at the final gig and it was recorded and released on the Still album, it's not that much different to the NO version.

Good memories

• 2 years later...

If I was told that I could only listen to music recorded in one decade, I'd probably choose the sixties. You had loads of interesting electronic music being made in studios and Universities across Europe, Japan, America and elsewhere. Brown, Feldman, Cage and others were doing interesting 'modern classical' stuff then there was bits and pieces related to the Fluxus movement. Heaps of great Jazz. For pop you had stuff like The Beatles and The Beach Boys, pretty much the best bands ever at what they do. There's loads more examples of great music from that decade and loads more still to be discovered, I'm sure. The only things I'd miss would be modern commercial pop music and rap. That said I'm going to try and get into classical music, so it might become more of a question of which century was the best for music.

• Like 1

This thread reminds me a little bit of that attempt years ago to have a UK music hall of fame. I think it was presented by Jamie Theakston to give it a bit more credibility.

They started that off in decades too (50's through to the 90's) They inducted Elvis Presley, The Beatles, Bob Marley, Madonna & U2 straight off the bat. 

Then they asked the public to vote for more inductees by decade too. They subsequently ended up with Cliff and Robbie in there. They didn't ask the public again and the having just looked it up, the hall of fame induction event was cancelled after three years.

Coincidentally me and my wife were talking last night about worst decades for music. The conclusion was that aside from a brief bit of hope 2003 anything after the 70's was terrible. The 90's in particular was a shocker. 

Edited by Seat68
Idiocy spelling the word brief.

In my head the 90s were brilliant for UK music, definitely wasn't dominated by the yanks

The thing was that Brit pop and Cool Britannia and what have you didn't actually last that long, the decade started shite and ended shite, far too many bands went stale

Depends on where you stick the Beatles in terms of "pop" but it's probably the most successful decade for pop music, spice girls, take that, boy zone etc

If The Beatles are pop (which I guess they are) then I'd say that makes bands like Radiohead, Oasis, R.E.M, Pink Floyd et al pop too. I guess the difference between those kind of bands and stuff like Spice Girls, Boyzone etc is that former write their own stuff and the latter are to a larger degree manufactured. The current decade is pretty big one for 'manufactured pop' too, it pretty much dominates the musical landscape, probably more so than in the 90's.

12 hours ago, useless said:

If I was told that I could only listen to music recorded in one decade, I'd probably choose the sixties. You had loads of interesting electronic music being made in studios and Universities across Europe, Japan, America and elsewhere. Brown, Feldman, Cage and others were doing interesting 'modern classical' stuff then there was bits and pieces related to the Fluxus movement. Heaps of great Jazz. For pop you had stuff like The Beatles and The Beach Boys, pretty much the best bands ever at what they do. There's loads more examples of great music from that decade and loads more still to be discovered, I'm sure. The only things I'd miss would be modern commercial pop music and rap. That said I'm going to try and get into classical music, so it might become more of a question of which century was the best for music.

r31WmpI.jpg

• Like 1

Â