78 members have voted

1. 1. Best decade?

• 50s
    • 60s
    • 70s
    • 80s
    • 90s
    • This current decade (*4 years of)

Punk was fine for the first year or so - good, raucous, two-minute, rock'n'roll singles - until the music press and the industry decided that anything pre-punk was verboten and uncool. And the sheep bought the concept, bigtime. Baby thrown out with the bathwater.

What followed (new romantics, synth bands, white funk, post punk, rap and all that) was dire beyond my worst nightmares. How anybody can describe the prog bands as boring and then champion the likes of New Order is beyond me.

New Order were Joy Division without Ian Curtis. They gave me my best selling 12 inch single in Blue Monday. I loved synth music. But I loved Kraftwerk and YMO. Its down to personal taste.

What's your beef with hip-hop Mike? It's one of the main reasons why the '90's were almost as good as the 70's.

I cannot begin to tell you how much I hate it. All of it. Every now and then somebody suggests I listen to some fantastic example that is supposed to make me see the light, but it is ALWAYS a horrible, irritating sound. I sincerely wish it had never existed.

• Like 3

I wernt really into prog rock, I like pink floyd but they deffo ay one of my favs, infact hawkwind who were a working class pink floyd were just as good to listen to in my ears, don't like yes, genesis,elp, just didn't really do anything for me, jethro tull were a really good band though and king crimson were ok, my personal favs black sabbath was the type of music that got me going though, the 80 was ok for rock but not great, early 90s the same, I've only just turned 30 but I'm stuck in the 60s and 70 with my music, my grandad was a massive influence on my music taste's and he's got over a thousand lps with all types of music you can imagine, growing up with those lps and discovering those great bands for the first time was amazing, I remember being a 10 year old listening to sabbath for the first time and actualy being really scared and spooked out by their dark sound and then also discovering the late 60s san francisco bands like jefferson airplane and the dead, blue cheer was another good 60s band aswell, after the 60s and 70s music just wasn't the same

What's your beef with hip-hop Mike? It's one of the main reasons why the '90's were almost as good as the 70's.

I cannot begin to tell you how much I hate it. All of it. Every now and then somebody suggests I listen to some fantastic example that is supposed to make me see the light, but it is ALWAYS a horrible, irritating sound. I sincerely wish it had never existed.

I cant listen to it either.

I wernt really into prog rock, I like pink floyd but they deffo ay one of my favs, infact hawkwind who were a working class pink floyd were just as good to listen to in my ears, don't like yes, genesis,elp, just didn't really do anything for me, jethro tull were a really good band though and king crimson were ok, my personal favs black sabbath was the type of music that got me going though, the 80 was ok for rock but not great, early 90s the same, I've only just turned 30 but I'm stuck in the 60s and 70 with my music, my grandad was a massive influence on my music taste's and he's got over a thousand lps with all types of music you can imagine, growing up with those lps and discovering those great bands for the first time was amazing, I remember being a 10 year old listening to sabbath for the first time and actualy being really scared and spooked out by their dark sound and then also discovering the late 60s san francisco bands like jefferson airplane and the dead, blue cheer was another good 60s band aswell, after the 60s and 70s music just wasn't the same

Yes my brother used to buy these yes albums, some of it was ok. Had friends who were really into Genesis but couldn't stand them myself. Didn't think there was any soul in their music. I have never been into heavy metal but did like Floyd, Zeppelin, the who etc

I cant stand R&B but I wouldn't knock it lol

Can't stand RnB either for the most part, but there is some good stuff in there. Like D'Angelo, and even JT's new album is pretty enjoyable.

Nothing? Really? What were some of the examples that you've tried? I really hope it wasn't a Tyler the Creator or something that was shown to you. Try a couple of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFA_stcnyns

• Like 2

Converting Mike would have to be a gradual process, possibly accompanied by a course of medication to help overcome his standing antipathy.

Start with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGaoXAwl9kw, then http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDJCqdXzGAA, before moving on.

I'll do it, for a consultation fee obviously.

GSH is the exception that proves the rule. The template that should have been left as it was (rather in the way that the Led Zeppelin template would lead onto myriad ghastly metal bands).

Never much liked The Last Poets in the first place. I like my black music to have either ( a ) guitars, ( b ) horns or ( c ) a tune, preferably all three. I prefer singers to talkers.

Edited by mjmooney

OK, I tried your suggestions Keyblade, and it was as I said - awful.

Tribe Called Quest I lasted exactly 12 seconds. The scratching and the vocal delivery - ugh. Gang Starr - six seconds. FFS, it's horrible!

Tribe Called Quest I lasted exactly 12 seconds. The scratching and the vocal delivery - ugh. Gang Starr - six seconds. FFS, it's horrible!

You don't like scratching? Okay yeah, you're never going to like hip-hop. That was the cream of the crop.

• Like 1

Black music? Ragtime piano, New Orleans jazz, big bands, bebop, hard bop, r&b (see above), country blues, electric blues, doo-wop, southern soul, motown - all fine and good.

It all started going tits up when James Brown funk got turned into disco. It's been pretty much a car crash since then. (As has "white" rock and pop, TBF).

You don't like scratching? Okay yeah, you're never going to like hip-hop. That was the cream of the crop.

Just in case I didn't make it clear: it's not that I don't like it; I HATE it. With a **** passion.

• Like 1

Joy Division , New Order , Devo , Echo and the Bunnymen , Psychedelic Furs , The Cure The Cult , Simple Minds , Live Aid .   The 80's win everytime :-)

Yes, add Japan who unfortunately split up in 82, The Smiths. There are great groups from every era though. Radiohead are one of my favourite all time bands and they started in the 90s.

Joy Division , New Order , Devo , Echo and the Bunnymen , Psychedelic Furs , The Cure The Cult , Simple Minds , Live Aid . The 80's win everytime :-)

you must be joking, rolling stones, the who, the beatles, led zep, sabbath, deep purple, jethro tull, queen, cream, uriah heep, rainbow, acdc, now these are proper bands, bands from the 80s like metallica, guns n roses, ozzy osbourne, inxs, iron maiden, motley crue, they rule the 80s,
  • Like 1

Â