78 members have voted

1. 1. Best decade?

• 50s
    • 60s
    • 70s
    • 80s
    • 90s
    • This current decade (*4 years of)

There's been more old music available compared to new music for a long time. But as far as I'm aware this is the first time that 'old' (by old I think they mean anything older than 18 months, by the way, so not that old) as outsold new music. I potentially made an excellent point of my own, the sudden upsurge in people buying records, might have something to do with it, as that format I imagine, is more compatible with older musics.

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/01/2016 at 21:19, mjmooney said:

One of my kids bought the first Libertines album. I said it sounded like a cross between The Kinks and The Clash. She agreed. These days she still plays The Kinks and The Clash, but not The Libertines.

that first libertines album is pretty good.

Sorry to be a smart-arse but 1900 - 1910. It would win with just for Mahler Symphonies Number 4 - 10.
Age of the composers in brackets. Highlights from that decade.

ELGAR (43) 
The Dream of Gerontius

PUCCINI (42) 
Tosca

MAHLER (40) 
Symphony No 4 

DEBUSSY (38) 
Nocturnes, for orchestra and chorus 

SIBELIUS (35) 
Finlandia

SCHOENBERG (26-39) 
Gurre-Lieder

ELGAR (44) 
Cockaigne, overture Introduction and Allegro for strings (1901-5) 
Pomp and Circumstance Marches Nos 1-4 (1901-7) 

RACHMANINOV (28) 
Piano Concerto No 2

IVES (30) 
Symphony No 3

MAHLER (42) 
Symphony No 5 

DEBUSSY (40) 
Pelléas et Mélisande

ELGAR (46) 
Symphony No 2 

SIBELIUS (38) 
Violin Concerto

SCHOENBERG (29) 
Pelleas und Melisande

PUCCINI (46) 
Madam Butterfly

MAHLER (44) 
Symphony No 6 

DEBUSSY (42) 
La Mer,

STRAUSS, R. (40) 
Symphonia Domestica 

MAHLER (45) 
Symphony No 7 in E minor 
Kindertotenlieder

DEBUSSY (43) 
Images,

STRAUSS, R. (41) 
Salome, opera 

STRAVINSKY (23) 
Symphony in Eb major 

ELGAR (49) 
The Wand of Youth

STRAUSS, R. (42) 
Elektra, opera

RACHMANINOV (33) 
Francesca da Rimini

SCHOENBERG (32) 
Chamber Symphonies Nos 1 and 2 

MAHLER (47) 
Symphony No 8, Symphony of a Thousand 

DEBUSSY (45) 
Images, for piano, Book II 

RACHMANINOV (34) 
Symphony No 2 The Isle of the Dead

RAVEL (32) 
Rhapsodie espagnole, for orchestra 

IVES (34) 
The Unanswered Question

GRAINGER (26) 
Country Gardens

MAHLER (49) 
Symphony No 9 

STRAUSS, R. (45) 
Der Rosenkavalier

VAUGHAN WILLIAMS (37) 
A Sea Symphony (Symphony No 1)

RACHMANINOV (36) 
Piano Concerto No 3 

PUCCINI (52) 
Girl of the Golden West, opera 

MAHLER (50) 
Symphony No 10 begun (left unfinished) 

VAUGHAN WILLIAMS (38) 
Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis

STRAVINSKY (28) 
The Firebird,

WEBERN (27) 
Six Pieces for large orchestra 

I loved the 60s and 70s but had my formative years in the 90s - which I also deem to be up there for a great decade of music.

For me, the 80s was just terrible on the whole but with some decent stuff interspersed amongst the pop crap.

For me the 80s (especially the mid to latter 80s and the birth of Stock Aitken and Waterman tripe/types) was ghastly with one formula, one beat, one sound for the whole charts.

It was a travesty of creativity and still sends shudders of repulsion when hearing it.

I would argue that the 60s was the best decade for popular music

• Like 1

TheAuthority's case for 1900-1910 is actually pretty convincing. I think that on my desert island I want three separate ten-year time capsules: 

1900-1910 for classical 

1955-1965 for jazz 

1965-1975 for pop/rock 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, theboyangel said:

For me, the 80s was just terrible on the whole but with some decent stuff interspersed amongst the pop crap.

It really wasn't. Commercially maybe, but the stuff bubbling under was the blueprint for the next decade and beyond. Amazing Ska, Reggae, Dance Hall, Post Punk, New Wave, Indie, Alt Rock, Hip Hop, Electronica, all kinds of Dance music was produced in the 80s. A Hell of a lot of my favourite bands produced some wonderful work in the 80s. I probably didn't know it at the time, as I was listening to Michael Jackson and Queen, but as I've gone back and explored the music I missed, I've found the 80s is a goldmine.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, dAVe80 said:

It really wasn't. Commercially maybe, but the stuff bubbling under was the blueprint for the next decade and beyond. Amazing Ska, Reggae, Dance Hall, Post Punk, New Wave, Indie, Alt Rock, Hip Hop, Electronica, all kinds of Dance music was produced in the 80s. A Hell of a lot of my favourite bands produced some wonderful work in the 80s. I probably didn't know it at the time, as I was listening to Michael Jackson and Queen, but as I've gone back and explored the music I missed, I've found the 80s is a goldmine.

Your list of 80s 'saving graces' pretty much sums up everything I hate. Confirms my detestation of that era. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theboyangel said:

the 80s (especially the mid to latter 80s and the birth of Stock Aitken and Waterman tripe/types) was ghastly with one formula, one beat, one sound for the whole charts.

It was a travesty of creativity and still sends shudders of repulsion when hearing it.

That might be (is) largely true for UK chart music. But it kind of overlooks that there's more than just the UK made music in the 80s and there's more types of music than the horrible manufactured SAW pop. Dave's post is right.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Your list of 80s 'saving graces' pretty much sums up everything I hate. Confirms my detestation of that era. 

It's not for you old man! We're doing this for the kids! ;)

33 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

It's not for you old man! We're doing this for the kids! ;)

You are right, of course. Had I been the 'right' age, I probably would have liked that stuff too. But I was lamenting the loss of the suddenly unfashionable genres I had grown up with - folk, blues, psychedelia, progressive, country rock, west coast singer songwriters, etc. Losing all that for ska, reggae, electronica, post-punk, hip hop and dance music just made me want to slit my wrists! 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

You are right, of course. Had I been the 'right' age, I probably would have liked that stuff too. But I was lamenting the loss of the suddenly unfashionable genres I had grown up with - folk, blues, psychedelia, progressive, country rock, west coast singer songwriters, etc. Losing all that for ska, reggae, electronica, post-punk, hip hop and dance music just made me want to slit my wrists! 

I get the best of both, because I like most of the stuff you like too. :)

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 1

Yep, all about being the 'right' age. Ignoring the fact they arrived late 70's and just going with the '80's theme, the likes of Pauline Black of The Selecter being on Top Of The Pops after sitting through some Genesis or David Soul etc., just felt like someone switching a fan on and blowing away some old farts.

• Like 1

Â