78 members have voted

1. 1. Best decade?

• 50s
    • 60s
    • 70s
    • 80s
    • 90s
    • This current decade (*4 years of)

What would everybody say is the best decade for Music?

Personally I favour 80s music, but I would say the 90s (excluding Boyzone and such) was a very good decade with bands such as Oasis and Blur making it special.

the choice is yours ladies.

Im going to abstain. For two reasons.

1] "what decade was best for music" is usually interpreted as "what decade did you grow up in" So, its a question that most people will answer with their age in mind.

2] To suggest that a new musical era starts on Jan 1st of a new decade is bollocks. Every musical scene has its own timetable. i mean, what is "90's music" ? Grunge? Britpop? Plastic Spice Girls Pop? The Britpop Era only really ran from Definately Maybe and Parklife in 94 through to Urban Hymns in 97. And you could argue that they all drew from what the Mondays, The Roses, My Bloody Valentine et al were doing at the arse end of the 80's.

The best music is timeless.

• Like 2

Guest RantinRob

As most people on here know, I'm a bit of a Beach Boys/Wilson Brothers anorak, so for me it'd be every decade except the 50's as Brian and the Boys have put out material since 1961

I bet you're a fun bloke to have at a dinner party Rev! "I don't believe in the artificial categorisation of music, actually!"

:wink:

Anyway I voted for the 90's. Too young to really remember the 70's, and I grew up in the 80's so that was a close second (particulalrly as it's the decade of The Smiths) But for just the sheer amount of brilliant albums you just can't beat the 90's, and that's the deacde I was at uni too, and really started to see a lot of live music.

I bet you're a fun bloke to have at a dinner party Rev! "I don't believe in the artificial categorisation of music, actually!"

Ive never been to a dinner party in my life. Ive never been invited to one, i dont particularly want to be invited to one (id rater go to a gig) and as most of my mates have pretty good taste in music, that conversation would probably never happen. :wink:

Anyway I voted for the 90's. Too young to really remember the 70's, and I grew up in the 80's so that was a close second (particulalrly as it's the decade of The Smiths)

And does this comment support my point?

Im going to abstain. For two reasons.

1] "what decade was best for music" is usually interpreted as "what decade did you grow up in...

I haven't grown up either, Rev. :)

You're right too, the best music is timeless (some of it even tuneless).

There's been some cracking stuff in the last 5 years, but I guess you could say that about any period really.

So Rev, in that case you couldn't form an opinion on the best decade in the history of our great football club, because you were either not born or unable to choose because there are many great moments?

people will always have an opinion on what they would class as the 'best moments' which can be an hour, a decade or one hundred years.

Periods in time that we look upon as a time when things were greater or better than they are now.

right?

So Rev, in that case you couldn't form an opinion on the best decade in the history of our great football club, because you were either not born or unable to choose because there are many great moments?

people will always have an opinion on what they would class as the 'best moments' which can be an hour, a decade or one hundred years.

Periods in time that we look upon as a time when things were greater or better than they are now.

right?

Id have to disagree.

Football has seasons. It fits neatly into a timetable. Even if there is a slight overlap at either end of a decade, its still easy to plop dates and eras onto things. Music is totally different. Firstly there are so many scenes going on, and each draw from different influences, and last different amounts of time. There isnt a music genre called "80's" or "90's" thats just a term used by local radio stations who only play 'oldies' to get people who are in their advertisers target audiences to listen to them. Era's dont end when calender years do. Football seasons do (of sorts)

Its gotten even crazier since the dawn of satillite and digital TV, and high speed internet connections. In years gone by, getting your music out there than it ever was when TV, Radio and even printed publicity were scarce. You just cant pin music down. To compare it to football is ludicrous.

• Like 1

Yeah and I understand what you are saying but people always have a time they remember a certain "feel" which comes with Music.

for example I will always remember the day I heard 'The Riverboat Song' which then stirs up memories of being in the garden at about 14 sipping my first beer! which then in turn makes me think of all the class music from my very young youth and the britpop which came with it and my love affair with Louise Wener! all of this at 14 - the memories for me of a 14 year old of Britpop. For others this would be different, you would have been 17? probably shagging girls and thinking things can never be better - whilst listening to Oasis and discovering Fuzzy Logic for the first time.

So depending on the person they will always have memories/favourite bands and albums that take them back to a certain period in their lives.

I'm with Nayson I'm afraid Den, I couldn't decide, I mean the 60's, the decade when popular music exploded and gave us the Stones, the Who and whole heap of great music as long as you ignore Liverpool. The 70's at the sart (ok the end of the 60's) gave us the Bitrth of Metal and mainly from the Midlands too and after that had eaten itself we had punk towards the end. Next came the 80's which if you ignore all the pop crap actually produced some very fine independant music coming out of the ashes of Punk and New Wave. The there's the 90's the decade of Nirvana and Radiohead (bends / OKCOMP era anyway) Its just too hard to decide, me I'd lean towards anything from the 60's to the 80's but I really couldn't cut it down any further than that. Just remember Rock Rocks and Pop sucks ;)

• 8 years later...

60's : disqualified (weed)

70's : disqualified (acid)

80's : disqualified (coke)

90's : disqualified (ecstasy)

00's : disqualified (everything, cut badly, plus Mika)

10's : disqualified (miow miow)

Doesn't hold water xann.......... :P

Â