1. 1. Best decade?

• 50s
    • 60s
    • 70s
    • 80s
    • 90s
    • This current decade (*4 years of)

6 minutes ago, useless said:

I'd say the noughties are probably the worst. So much of the electronic/glitch music done on laptops in that decade has aged so badly, so too has most of 'backpack rap' that was popular at the time. All those rubbish NME championed bands like Libertines, Razorlight et al, Nu-Metal, Garage. Not much interesting happened in pop music either except for maybe Beyonce and Lady Gaga towards the end of the decade.

You sure you're not talking about the 00's here? Or did I miss Lady Gaga's ate 90's breakthrough?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

You sure you're not talking about the 00's here? Or did I miss Lady Gaga's ate 90's breakthrough?

The 00's are the noughties, aren't they? :huh:

Have you been done by the old edit feature? ;)

Edited by Jon

I actually owned a Aesop Rock album at one point, I only liked one song from it though called 'Daylight' but I was never a fan of any of the Def Jux stuff,at a push maybe Cannibal Ox. Things definitely improved this decade (whatever it's called). I think the 00's are largely seen as barren time artistically right across the board.

8 minutes ago, useless said:

I actually owned a Aesop Rock album at one point, I only liked one song from it though called 'Daylight' but I was never a fan of any of the Def Jux stuff,at a push maybe Cannibal Ox. Things definitely improved this decade (whatever it's called). I think the 00's are largely seen as barren time artistically right across the board.

Yeah Cannibal Ox and El-P in general is borderline, I can eff with that stuff mostly. This decade is probably better, even though 00's hip-hop was fun (remember Crunk?) and is what I grew up on. 

I'll have to give 'Crunk' a listen. There was some good stuff from that decade Antipop Consortium, MF Doom and a few other bits and pieces. The 90's is probably my favorite Dec for rap. Although we have some of the best of the best rapping right now.

Edited by useless

I'd say the noughties are probably the worst. So much of the electronic/glitch music done on laptops in that decade has aged so badly, so too has most of 'backpack rap' that was popular at the time. All those rubbish NME championed bands like Libertines, Razorlight et al, Nu-Metal, Garage. Not much interesting happened in pop music either except for maybe Beyonce and Lady Gaga towards the end of the decade.

Noughties were ok apart from the dilution thanks to the Internet, depends on how you see that, is there now too much or are people being given a chance whereas previously they wouldn't have been?

Razorlight being a good example, the best one probably being the story of kaiser Chiefs and their failed attempts at getting record deals, neither of them exist in the 90s

As for the libertines, you had to be there, I was 18, britpop had died a death, music in this country was incredibly stale, it was absolutely on its ass, strokes smashed it out of the park with is this it and then up the bracket happened, they lit the fire again, they're a hugely important band in British music, i wasn't alive at the time but i tend to liken it to punk, something was happening, they also really knew how to use the net, guerrilla gigs, bootlegs, loads of stuff on there that everyone else started doing the same

And then following them indie disco came back, arctic monkeys, bloc party, snobs in the mid 00s...what a time to be alive (and 21)

5 hours ago, useless said:

I don't disagree with the good slaggings dished out in your post. What I do think though is that (as with any decade) there was loads of good music made in the noughties.

From my iTunes I have The Arcade Fire, Doves, Divine Comedy, Editors, Eels , Elbow, The Fall, The Falming Lips, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Goldfrapp, Grandaddy, Grant Lee Buffalo, Grindjrman, HMHB, Interpol, Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan, Jimmy Page & Robert Plant, Kate Bush, Killing Joke, Low, Midlake, Nancy Elizabeth, The National, Nick Cave & the Bad seeds, The Phantom Band, Portishead, REM, Radiohead, Rodrigo Y Gabriella, School of Seven Bells, Secret Machines, Sigur Ros, Sinead O'Connor, Sleater-Kinney, Teenage Fanclub, The Temper Trap, Tom Yorke, Tom Waits, Tricky, UNCLE, Von Sudenfed, The weddoes, Wolf Parade, TheXX and The Album Leaf in my 5 star list.

there are 2809 songs in the iTunes from the 00s that I have rated as better than average in my [slightly OCD] scoring system.

that compares with 2187 in this decade (so far), 1270 for the 90s, and fewer for both the 80s and 70s and way fewer 60s. So basically I reckon it was best when judged from what I actually paid for and then took the time to rate. This surprised me. Maybe it's because I've just had more money for music, or it's easier to get in the past 16 years.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, blandy said:

I don't disagree with the good slaggings dished out in your post. What I do think though is that (as with any decade) there was loads of good music made in the noughties.

From my iTunes I have The Arcade Fire, Doves, Divine Comedy, Editors, Eels , Elbow, The Fall, The Falming Lips, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Goldfrapp, Grandaddy, Grant Lee Buffalo, Grindjrman, HMHB, Interpol, Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan, Jimmy Page & Robert Plant, Kate Bush, Killing Joke, Low, Midlake, Nancy Elizabeth, The National, Nick Cave & the Bad seeds, The Phantom Band, Portishead, REM, Radiohead, Rodrigo Y Gabriella, School of Seven Bells, Secret Machines, Sigur Ros, Sinead O'Connor, Sleater-Kinney, Teenage Fanclub, The Temper Trap, Tom Yorke, Tom Waits, Tricky, UNCLE, Von Sudenfed, The weddoes, Wolf Parade, TheXX and The Album Leaf in my 5 star list.

there are 2809 songs in the iTunes from the 00s that I have rated as better than average in my [slightly OCD] scoring system.

that compares with 2187 in this decade (so far), 1270 for the 90s, and fewer for both the 80s and 70s and way fewer 60s. So basically I reckon it was best when judged from what I actually paid for and then took the time to rate. This surprised me. Maybe it's because I've just had more money for music, or it's easier to get in the past 16 years.

With those bands listed 'you rather make my point for me', although interestingly, I was one of the first people in the UK to own a copy of Arcade Fire's debut CD and still have it somewhere. With every decade there's going to be examples of good music that has stood the test of time, no doubt I could come up with a pretty long list for the 00's myself. I just think of the music I listen to right now hardly any of it comes from that decade and a lot of the stuff I did enjoy at the time is no longer on my radar. Obviously it's just my personal taste and a reflection on me that rather than the music itself.

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Noughties were ok apart from the dilution thanks to the Internet, depends on how you see that, is there now too much or are people being given a chance whereas previously they wouldn't have been?

Razorlight being a good example, the best one probably being the story of kaiser Chiefs and their failed attempts at getting record deals, neither of them exist in the 90s

As for the libertines, you had to be there, I was 18, britpop had died a death, music in this country was incredibly stale, it was absolutely on its ass, strokes smashed it out of the park with is this it and then up the bracket happened, they lit the fire again, they're a hugely important band in British music, i wasn't alive at the time but i tend to liken it to punk, something was happening, they also really knew how to use the net, guerrilla gigs, bootlegs, loads of stuff on there that everyone else started doing the same

And then following them indie disco came back, arctic monkeys, bloc party, snobs in the mid 00s...what a time to be alive (and 21)

I somehow get the feeling that because British rock music was in such a stale at the time that The Libertines and similar were manufactured (nothing wrong with that), or at least aggresively marketed to fill the void, I mean mags like the NME had to have something to champion in order to sell their magazines. Not for me, although I probably could have thought of a better example of poor music from 00's in my original post, as I know they made their mark and lot of people enjoy their music to this day.

One of my kids bought the first Libertines album. I said it sounded like a cross between The Kinks and The Clash. She agreed. These days she still plays The Kinks and The Clash, but not The Libertines.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Isn't the rule of thumb that "The best era for music was your seven teenage years"?

For me, that was 1967 through 1973, and absolutely fits the bill.

My guess is that most people choose their teens or early 20s for the best decade of music, so in some ways its a bit of a pointless poll. 

Edited by PaulC

I look back fondly on the 00s, there were still loads of bands making catchy pop tunes and getting big, which is extremely rare nowadays.  The Libertines left me a bit cold though tbh.  This thread inspired me to go listen to some Coral and Zutons, great memories.  

I wouldn't worry overly about the 90's or the 00's being less authentic because of manufactured bands. It was always the same, from Joe Meek to Motown. We just had the curtain pushed back more recenty and could see the hands at the controls.

There's also an issue with the need for a time lag, for a bit of space. The music most recently gone is usually frowned upon as dated or boring, that's why it's recently gone. I don't think 1984 me would have cited the 70's as a great time. I'd have said 60's.

• Like 1

Doesn't bother me whether music is manufactured or not as long as it sounds good to my ears. Likewise if there were some band who I enjoy and it was suddenly revealed that they don't write their own music/songs, and have ghost-writers or whatever, it wouldn't take away from my enjoyment at all.

• Like 2

I went through periods of hating where music was going and what it was becoming, I saw the rise of baggy taking indie music that I loved and mangling it, bands were issuing dance remixes and it was horrid. I saw the soup dragons go from hang ten and majestic head to putting out the appalling I'm free, Primal scream go from ivy ivy ivy to loaded, even the brilliant corners put out a dance mix, it was ghastly (caveat to that, I recall the first time I heard Loaded, in a club in shrewsbury, the fridge, and it took my breath away, I still believe it to be genius, my statement is more a reflection on bands acquiring new found dance roots). 

I also saw a similar pattern with the rise of grunge, I forget what I called it before grunge, tad, mudhoney, alice donut, butthole surfers, then nirvana brought it in to the mainstream and again music started getting bad. A saturation of really bland us rock. 

Then britpop, so much good music being put out on smaller labels, too pure, fierce panda, ankst, it was quite exciting, saw more bands in the 90's than certainly in the noughties, trains down to london, just a really great time until oasis, their rise soured music for a long time, indies started to want to compete with creation/sony and so many poor bands were signed, so much bad music was being played on the radio, it was absolutely shocking, republica, who the **** would sign that! Me me me, a dreadful vanity project of a band, indie died then. 

Then in the noughties, I recall standing at leeds festival, watching the lost prophets and I thought whoever decided to put these on a stage, this high on a bill, they deserve to be shot. I walked out of leeds festival, genuinely it was like an epiphany, I went home and that then, 2007 was the end of rock and indie for me. I allowed my love of country and folk to show.

The 80's with its rose coloured nostalgia is by far the worst, horrid music, hate it, occasional songs I enjoy, but for a broad decade that I enjoy songs from all genres, it has to be the 70's.

Â