78 members have voted

1. 1. Best decade?

• 50s
    • 60s
    • 70s
    • 80s
    • 90s
    • This current decade (*4 years of)

Anyone familiar with uriah heep demons and wizard album? Must say its one of my favourite albums and at no point during the album do I need to press the skip button, great 70s rock album, I like heep a lot, like deep purple they use the organ to the extreme

New Order > Joy Division.

No how can you say that. New Order = Joy Division without the lyrics. If Curtis hadn't of killed himself who knows what direction the group would have gone.

The film control is possibly the best  singer/band movie of all time. Sam Riley did a pretty good job as Ian Curtis

Edited by PaulC

Since one of my very favourite artists died in 1949 so is shockingly ( :P) disqualified from this poll I'm putting two more by him in here on behalf of rebellion.

Arguably two songs made famous by others.

Plus, I have now decided to be the representative for 30s/40s music in this poll :D

Since The White Stripes are one of my favourite recent(ish) bands. Here is Jack White's favourite song (Which is also one of mine)

Here he is saying it

(From the documentary 'It may get loud' which I would recommend to people to watch if you haven't, it's about the electric guitar, honestly it is interesting :D well I thought so anyway)

Edited by 8pints

Anyone familiar with uriah heep demons and wizard album? Must say its one of my favourite albums and at no point during the album do I need to press the skip button, great 70s rock album, I like heep a lot, like deep purple they use the organ to the extreme

Of course. Wouldn't say it's one of my favourites - metal isn't my favourite music, and Heep aren't even my favourite metal band - but it has its place in my collection. Funnily enough I played it a couple of weeks ago, for the first time in many years.

And a "seconded" for 8pints' recommendation of "It Might Get Loud". Although I feel duty bound to quote my daughter's brilliantly succinct summary of it:

Jimmy Page: "Son House!"

Jack White: "Yeah! Son House!"

The Edge: "Erm... I've got this pedal..."

:D

• Like 1

I'm starting to think 90's now. It's got the golden age of hip-hop, and the real solidification of shoegaze, black metal and death metal. Pretty much 4 of my top 5/6 subgenres/genres had their most important period in the 90's. 

Of course. Wouldn't say it's one of my favourites - metal isn't my favourite music, and Heep aren't even my favourite metal band - but it has its place in my collection. Funnily enough I played it a couple of weeks ago, for the first time in many years.

And a "seconded" for 8pints' recommendation of "It Might Get Loud". Although I feel duty bound to quote my daughter's brilliantly succinct summary of it:

Jimmy Page: "Son House!"

Jack White: "Yeah! Son House!"

The Edge: "Erm... I've got this pedal..."

:D

I feel heep are more heavy rock than metal well its how I see them anyway, I must admit I ay a huge metal fan and metallica are the only real metal band I really like, I don't class sabbath(my fav band) as metal, so many great rock albums from the 70s,

See elsewhere on VT for my irritation with genre (and sub-genre) nitpicking.

Zep, Sabbath, Purple and Heep were what passed for metal "back then". I enjoyed it in occasional small doses as part of a balanced musical diet. :) Still do, I suppose.

The later stuff (various forms of [prefix]-metal) doesn't really interest me.

Sabbath are the definition of metal.

they are definately the band who influenced metal and made it what it was, they also had the metal imagery, I just don't think you can just say sabbath are just a metal band, ye they had metal moments but I think they were a band on their own in their own genre, they even had elements of jazz in the early years along with blues, sabbath was a sound, you hear so many people say the “sabbath sound“ as deep purple influenced speed metal sabbath was more the doomy stoner kind of metal

Sabbath are the definition of metal.

they are definately the band who influenced metal and made it what it was, they also had the metal imagery, I just don't think you can just say sabbath are just a metal band, ye they had metal moments but I think they were a band on their own in their own genre, they even had elements of jazz in the early years along with blues, sabbath was a sound, you hear so many people say the “sabbath sound“ as deep purple influenced speed metal sabbath was more the doomy stoner kind of metal

Yes that's how I see them, pretty much proto doom metal. For their time, they were definitely metal as Mike said.

The later stuff (various forms of [prefix]-metal) doesn't really interest me.

Aww come on, not even post-apocalyptic neoprog shadowcore ice metal?  :P

• Like 1

No how can you say that. New Order = Joy Division without the lyrics. If Curtis hadn't of killed himself who knows what direction the group would have gone.

The film control is possibly the best  singer/band movie of all time. Sam Riley did a pretty good job as Ian Curtis

Not at all. Whilst musically they retain the ethos of Joy Division in a practical sense they sound completely different. They're Joy Division evolved. 

Horses for courses, I like both.

edit - Yes, it's a marvelous film. One for another thread I guess but I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it. Riley nails it. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

...Sam Riley...

Sam used to be in a band from Leeds called 10,000 things.

Spent a couple of days with them recording an album in a studio in Wandsworth a few years back.

They were great fun, we ended up going to a ridiculously posh party up West in their battered tour bus.

Didn't find out about the 'Control' thing til a couple of years ago when I asked the engineer what had become of the band.

...Sam Riley...

Sam used to be in a band from Leeds called 10,000 things...

Never heard of 'em!

Next Big Thing from Leeds are probably The Dunwells. Fairly unimaginative US-radio-friendly dadrock, but a nice bunch of lads (went to the same school as my kids).

is them, the track is from the Wandsworth session.

The hub of their activity in Leeds was based around a music pub, IIRC it was the something Rose or the Rose something?

is them, the track is from the Wandsworth session.

The hub of their activity in Leeds was based around a music pub, IIRC it was the something Rose or the Rose something?

:thumb:   I quite like that.

Dunno what the pub is though. There's a "Stone Roses Bar" (original, eh?) And The Yorkshire Rose (just down the road from me in Guiseley) has occasional gigs, but I can't see it being hip enough.

The Dunwells (Yeadon's answer to The Eagles) on the Jay Leno show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY0kEna_Fkk

Edited by mjmooney

Can't really remember mate, this was 7 or 8 years ago, never went there myself.

:thumb:   I quite like that.

I've got a rough mix of the album somewhere. I'll send you a copy - after you've burned the Honeybus perhaps? ;)

• Like 1

The film control is possibly the best singer/band movie of all time. Sam Riley did a pretty good job as Ian Curtis

Not at all. Whilst musically they retain the ethos of Joy Division in a practical sense they sound completely different. They're Joy Division evolved.

Horses for courses, I like both.

edit - Yes, it's a marvelous film. One for another thread I guess but I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it. Riley nails it.

Don't get me wrong I remain a fan of new order. Ceremony and temptation are my two fav tracks. I think that lacked a frontman. Summers is no Curtis but heck they enjoyed much greater success as new order.

Â